Topics

Hi

Chandler McGuire

Hi

Larry Maupin

Welcome to the group Chandler.  I would like to know the best old-time radio program that you have ever heard if you care to share it.  Mine is an episode of The Mysterious Traveler entitled "The Most Famous Man in the World."

Larry

-----------------------------------------

To: main@OldTimeRadioResearchers.groups.io
Cc:
Sent: Wednesday December 9 2020 8:17:19PM
Subject: [OldTimeRadioResearchers] Hi

Hi

--
Larry Maupin

willy b <wcw57@...>

Larry....
Thanks for reaching out to a new member.

My favorite show was the original version of Jack Benny driving Mel Blanc crazy while Christmas shopping.  I STILL laugh at that....and, I'll admit, the follow-up episodes in the years that followed.
See u at the group!
Bill

On December 10, 2020, at 10:08 AM, Larry Maupin <lmaupin@...> wrote:

Welcome to the group Chandler.  I would like to know the best old-time radio program that you have ever heard if you care to share it.  Mine is an episode of The Mysterious Traveler entitled "The Most Famous Man in the World."

Larry

Cc:

Hi

--
Larry Maupin

M Myers

That’s my favorite Jack Benny episode.

On Dec 10, 2020, at 3:55 PM, willy b via groups.io <wcw57@...> wrote:

Larry....

My favorite show was the original version of Jack Benny driving Mel Blanc crazy while Christmas shopping.  I STILL laugh at that....and, I'll admit, the follow-up episodes in the years that followed.
See u at the group!
Bill

Larry

Cc:

Hi

--
Larry Maupin

pygar two

I'd love to hear it! Uh, them... but my personal favorite Christmas OTR is the Lum and Abner where they delivered supplies to an old barn... no real humor, but heartwarming, if you know the characters...

Larry Maupin

To Bill and Mike.  In January I expect to start working on a new curated collection for the OTRR Library that will include only the most memorable episodes of the best known old-time radio series.  Jack Benny will definitely be one of them, and since both of you say the same show is your favorite Jack Benny episode I am making a note of it and will place it in the collection if I can obtain a cassette of it to digitize.  Your comments make me want to hear it anyway.

Larry

To: main@oldtimeradioresearchers.groups.io
Cc:
Sent: Thursday December 10 2020 4:40:31PM
Subject: Re: [OldTimeRadioResearchers] Hi

That’s my favorite Jack Benny episode.

On Dec 10, 2020, at 3:55 PM, willy b via groups.io <wcw57@...> wrote:

Larry....

See u at the group!
Bill

Larry

Cc:

Hi

--
Larry Maupin

--
Larry Maupin

Larry Maupin

Pygar, when I moved to Starkville, Mississippi some years ago a local radio station played an episode of Lum and Abner every weekday morning at about the time I was shaving.  I found hearing it a very pleasant way to start the day.

It would be interesting to know if other members think Lum and Abner should be included in a collection of the 20 or 25 most popular old-time radio shows of all time.  I'm sure about Jack Benny, The Shadow, Gunsmoke and a few others, but not as certain about series like The Guiding Light, The Mercury Theater On the Air, Lum & Abner or Superman.

Thank you for the post.

Larry

Cc:
Sent: Thursday December 10 2020 5:21:37PM

I'd love to hear it! Uh, them... but my personal favorite Christmas OTR is the Lum and Abner where they delivered supplies to an old barn... no real humor, but heartwarming, if you know the characters...

--
Larry Maupin

Richard Davenport

One of my favorite cartoons is the one with Jack Benny from 1958 called the Mouse That Jack Built.

Rick

Labor ipse voluptas

On Thursday, December 10, 2020, 4:54:07 PM CST, Larry Maupin <lmaupin@...> wrote:

Pygar, when I moved to Starkville, Mississippi some years ago a local radio station played an episode of Lum and Abner every weekday morning at about the time I was shaving.  I found hearing it a very pleasant way to start the day.

It would be interesting to know if other members think Lum and Abner should be included in a collection of the 20 or 25 most popular old-time radio shows of all time.  I'm sure about Jack Benny, The Shadow, Gunsmoke and a few others, but not as certain about series like The Guiding Light, The Mercury Theater On the Air, Lum & Abner or Superman.

Thank you for the post.

Larry

Cc:
Sent: Thursday December 10 2020 5:21:37PM

--
Larry Maupin

Dan

one of my favorite christmas shows is amos n andy where andy recites and explains the lords prayer 
dan

--
Happy Radio Trails!
Dan

Larry Maupin

Hi Dan.  Are you a new member?  The Kingfish is one of my favorite characters ever on both radio and television.  He is kind hearted, loves his wife, and like Ralph Kramden of The Honeymooners is always hatching one scheme or another to get rich quickly.  But like many great comic characters he has a sadness that endears him.  He loves Sapphire very much, but during all the years of their marriage she has been the breadwinner because he could never hold down a job.

My favorite episode is the one in which Sapphire accuses him of spending all his time at the pool hall with a bunch of bums who have never accomplished anything in their lives.  He replies that Willie Jones (I'm just filling in a name here) just made a triple bank shot yesterday that was one of the greatest things he has ever seen.

Larry

To: "main@oldtimeradioresearchers.groups.io"
Cc:
Sent: Thursday December 10 2020 11:55:24PM

one of my favorite christmas shows is amos n andy where andy recites and explains the lords prayer 
dan

--
Larry Maupin

Kent Schroder

Two Christmas shows are my favorites. Dragnet. A 22 Rifle For Christmas. Listen to the first time they did this script. Amos and Andy’s Christmas Show. It’s quite moving. The Kingfish threw this program off balance- once it was decided to feature him. The Christmas Show gets back to Amos and Andy. Kent

Ryan Ellett

Didn't Amos n Andy use that Christmas script for several years, or am I thinking of another show. I've also heard others mention that Dragnet episode, I don't think I've ever listened to it.
Ryan

www.RyanEllett.com

The Old Time Radio Researchers
"Saving the Past for the Future"

www.OTRR.org
www.OTRRLibrary.org

On Friday, December 11, 2020, 11:54:00 AM CST, Kent Schroder via groups.io <kent6147@...> wrote:

Two Christmas shows are my favorites. Dragnet. A 22 Rifle For Christmas. Listen to the first time they did this script. Amos and Andy’s Christmas Show. It’s quite moving. The Kingfish threw this program off balance- once it was decided to feature him. The Christmas Show gets back to Amos and Andy. Kent

Kent Schroder

Yes, it was their standard Christmas episode. I don’t know what the 15 minute Christmas episode was. Probably, something similar.  Kent

On Dec 11, 2020, at 12:05 PM, Ryan Ellett via groups.io <oldradiotimes@...> wrote:

Didn't Amos n Andy use that Christmas script for several years, or am I thinking of another show. I've also heard others mention that Dragnet episode, I don't think I've ever listened to it.
Ryan

www.RyanEllett.com

www.OTRR.org
www.OTRRLibrary.org

On Friday, December 11, 2020, 11:54:00 AM CST, Kent Schroder via groups.io <kent6147@...> wrote:

Larry Maupin

I think the Kingfish was by far the most lovable and entertaining character ever to appear on Amos and Andy.

Choosing the most memorable episode of Dragnet will be difficult  I think more people have probably heard the .22 Rifle for Christmas episode, but in the past several members have expressed the opinion that the one in which Friday's partner Ben Romero dies is the best one.  Another good one is that in which Friday himself is shot in the line of duty and almost dies.

Larry

To: main@oldtimeradioresearchers.groups.io
Cc:
Sent: Friday December 11 2020 4:01:55PM

Yes, it was their standard Christmas episode. I don’t know what the 15 minute Christmas episode was. Probably, something similar.  Kent

On Dec 11, 2020, at 12:05 PM, Ryan Ellett via groups.io <oldradiotimes@...> wrote:

Ryan

www.RyanEllett.com

www.OTRR.org
www.OTRRLibrary.org

--
Larry Maupin

Dan

i've been on the digest since 2001 - haven't posted much since Hal passed away
dan

--
Happy Radio Trails!
Dan

Patrick Andre

Not to go down a rabbit hole - well, maybe I am, but the better Dragnet Christmas show (in my opinion, as well as Jack Webbs) was The Big Little Jesus - where a statue of the baby Jesus was taken from a church.  The true story came from San Francisco, where Richard Breen attended a mass at Notre Dame des Victories in 1930 and heard the story.  When Webb heard the story, he mandated that it became the permanent replacement for the ".22 Rifle" show.  When Dragnet did the show, it would be on TV and radio on the same week, was the first to be shot in color (in 1953) and would be presented without commercial interruption.

They would remake the show in the 1967 restart of Dragnet, with Harry Bartell reprising his role as Father Rojas.

For me, this, and the Grand Central Station Christmas show with Mason Adams as Mac, are my favorite Christmas shows.

Larry Maupin

Patrick, I just read your post and found an episode of Grand Central Station in my collection dated December 24, 1949 entitled "Miracle For Christmas" starring Mason Adams.  Jesus appears as a doctor on Christmas Eve and changes an ambulance driver's life.  It was sponsored by Pilsbury and White Rose Tea.

I think that series has one of the most distinctive openings in all of old-time radio.  The sound of those trains gives an immediacy to each drama that is about to unfold.

Larry

Cc:
Sent: Saturday December 12 2020 1:48:50PM

Not to go down a rabbit hole - well, maybe I am, but the better Dragnet Christmas show (in my opinion, as well as Jack Webbs) was The Big Little Jesus - where a statue of the baby Jesus was taken from a church.  The true story came from San Francisco, where Richard Breen attended a mass at Notre Dame des Victories in 1930 and heard the story.  When Webb heard the story, he mandated that it became the permanent replacement for the ".22 Rifle" show.  When Dragnet did the show, it would be on TV and radio on the same week, was the first to be shot in color (in 1953) and would be presented without commercial interruption.

They would remake the show in the 1967 restart of Dragnet, with Harry Bartell reprising his role as Father Rojas.

For me, this, and the Grand Central Station Christmas show with Mason Adams as Mac, are my favorite Christmas shows.

--
Larry Maupin

Kent Schroder

I like it, too. I just think that Dick Breen didn’t capture the feel of Dragnet like Jim Mosher. Kent

On Dec 12, 2020, at 12:48 PM, Patrick Andre <pat@...> wrote:

jackies@tularosa.net

I guess I am nostalgic I turn 70 in 2 months and I love any old Christmas programs.  I can't stand the newer shows that are all about gimme,  gimme, gimme.  Besides I love hearing the old time Radio shows because I see it in my mind not what someone want's me to see.   They have too much of you know what.  Ok I am showing my age but I was raised as a Lady and I was told there were some words a lady didn't say.  ( of course  a lot of that when the way of by, by when I was in the Navy.),,  But when you get to my age you get to the niceties come back.  I hear it every day from my daughter LOL

Jackie

I like it, too. I just think that Dick Breen didn't capture the feel of Dragnet like Jim Mosher. Kent

On Dec 12, 2020, at 12:48 PM, Patrick Andre <pat@...> wrote:

Not to go down a rabbit hole - well, maybe I am, but the better Dragnet Christmas show (in my opinion, as well as Jack Webbs) was The Big Little Jesus - where a statue of the baby Jesus was taken from a church.  The true story came from San Francisco, where Richard Breen attended a mass at Notre Dame Des Victories in 1930 and heard the story.  When Webb heard the story, he mandated that it became the permanent replacement for the ".22 Rifle" show.  When Dragnet did the show, it would be on TV and radio on the same week, was the first to be shot in color (in 1953) and would be presented without commercial interruption.

Scott Mahan

When I first heard that Grand Central Station episode it literally made me cry. It is sad that so few example have survived.

From: main@OldTimeRadioResearchers.groups.io <main@OldTimeRadioResearchers.groups.io> On Behalf Of Patrick Andre
Sent: Saturday, December 12, 2020 12:49 PM

Scanned by McAfee and confirmed virus-free.