Topics

Hopalong Cassidy

Jim Jones

I have been working on upgrading the OTRR groups Hopalong Cassidy Certified shows. 
Ryan has found and provided me a new collection of shows in addition to the Certified Series. Approximately 30% of these shows were determined to be better copies than the Cert Series.
I have replaced the OTRR collection with these better quality shows
Also. many of the Certified shows had cropped or incomplete intros or endings. I have patched these shows and made ALL Hoppy shows now complete.
I have normalized many of the low volume shows. I have also adjusted the Bass and Treble on many over processed shows to make them easier and more enjoyable to listen to.
28 shows included 4-6 min of musical interludes where commercials were supposed to be inserted. I cropped these interludes making those show more continuous to listen to.

To complete the series with better quality shows, I would like to replace 6 of the lowest quality shows. These are shows which I only rate FAIR quality. I would appreciate it if someone could provide me with better quality shows for the following episodes.
Episode 25 - The Medicine Man
Episode 26 - The Flying Outlaw
Episode 42 - Hoppy Pays a  Debt
Episode 43 -  Hoppy Turns on the Heat
Episode 51 - The Mystery of the Diamond 'Z'
Episode 68 -  Stagecoach West

Thanks in advance.
A Hoppy Fan

ehrbek

These mighy be better. radio spirits

https://u.pcloud.link/publink/show?code=VZSqrHXZ7P3g1vVmCBjIr0jaq3vKOhaFmY4X---------------------------------------

To: main@OldTimeRadioResearchers.groups.io
Cc:
Sent: Thursday November 5 2020 4:43:19PM
Subject: [OldTimeRadioResearchers] Hopalong Cassidy

I have been working on upgrading the OTRR groups Hopalong Cassidy Certified shows. 
Ryan has found and provided me a new collection of shows in addition to the Certified Series. Approximately 30% of these shows were determined to be better copies than the Cert Series.
Also. many of the Certified shows had cropped or incomplete intros or endings. I have patched these shows and made ALL Hoppy shows now complete.
I have normalized many of the low volume shows. I have also adjusted the Bass and Treble on many over processed shows to make them easier and more enjoyable to listen to.
28 shows included 4-6 min of musical interludes where commercials were supposed to be inserted. I cropped these interludes making those show more continuous to listen to.

To complete the series with better quality shows, I would like to replace 6 of the lowest quality shows. These are shows which I only rate FAIR quality. I would appreciate it if someone could provide me with better quality shows for the following episodes.

Thanks in advance.
A Hoppy Fan

ehrbek

https://u.pcloud.link/publink/show?code=VZSqrHXZ7P3g1vVmCBjIr0jaq3vKOhaFmY4X

-----------------------------------------

To: main@OldTimeRadioResearchers.groups.io
Cc:
Sent: Thursday November 5 2020 4:43:19PM
Subject: [OldTimeRadioResearchers] Hopalong Cassidy

Thanks in advance.
A Hoppy Fan

Jim Jones

Thanks those 4 shows are much better.
Will stick them in
jj

Ian Grieve

Late 1954 William Boyd did a World Tour raising awareness and funds for Crippled Children.  Lots of Hopalong Crippled Children Appeal Badges appear on Ebay still.

After England he came to Australia November 1954.  One of the things he was contracted to do was a segment on 'Bonnington's Bunkhouse Show' which was being filmed at 'Wirth's' Circus.  As an aside, I met Will Hutchins at the last FOTR and he told me about how he loved his time in Australia touring with a Circus, but I don't remember which circus it was, was it 'Wirths'?  Anyway William Boyd as Hopalong Cassidy turned up at 'Wirths' in Melbourne for the recording.  The cast of 'Bonnington's Bunkhouse Show' was flown down from Sydney and they got things started.  But the popularity of Hopalong Cassidy was so great that William Boyd was mobbed by 10,000 kids wanting autographs.  Boyd couldn't settle them down and the whole thing was cancelled.  Boyd did his segment in his hotel room later that night and the cast flew back to Sydney and did the recording of the show there and included the Boyd segment.

Fame, sometimes not so fleeting.  I have included the newspaper reports of the above on a couple of the Australian Radio History groups in the past and several of the radio people admitted being there as kids.

Ian

------ Original Message ------
Sent: 6/11/2020 9:02:08 AM
Subject: Re: [OldTimeRadioResearchers] Hopalong Cassidy

Will stick them in
jj

Richard Davenport

I am working through the creation of the full list of the Mister Keene programs.  I initially used Jerry H's site but found he had made a mistake.  He skipped #41 and that threw the dates off.  It drove me crazing trying to sort it out till I used Excel to get it cleared up. 

I also found that based on the sequence of dates there is a show that would have aired on 51-02-29.  #371 which would have been on that date got bumped forward to the next date in the sequence (51-03-01) to be precise.   Jerry did not mention this in his list.  Does anyone have any idea what happened on that date that might have caused the pre-empting? 

Rick

Labor ipse voluptas

On Thursday, November 5, 2020, 5:52:44 PM CST, Ian Grieve <austotr@...> wrote:

Late 1954 William Boyd did a World Tour raising awareness and funds for Crippled Children.  Lots of Hopalong Crippled Children Appeal Badges appear on Ebay still.

After England he came to Australia November 1954.  One of the things he was contracted to do was a segment on 'Bonnington's Bunkhouse Show' which was being filmed at 'Wirth's' Circus.  As an aside, I met Will Hutchins at the last FOTR and he told me about how he loved his time in Australia touring with a Circus, but I don't remember which circus it was, was it 'Wirths'?  Anyway William Boyd as Hopalong Cassidy turned up at 'Wirths' in Melbourne for the recording.  The cast of 'Bonnington's Bunkhouse Show' was flown down from Sydney and they got things started.  But the popularity of Hopalong Cassidy was so great that William Boyd was mobbed by 10,000 kids wanting autographs.  Boyd couldn't settle them down and the whole thing was cancelled.  Boyd did his segment in his hotel room later that night and the cast flew back to Sydney and did the recording of the show there and included the Boyd segment.

Fame, sometimes not so fleeting.  I have included the newspaper reports of the above on a couple of the Australian Radio History groups in the past and several of the radio people admitted being there as kids.

Ian

Will stick them in
jj

Richard Davenport

Jim,
See if these Hoppys are better...

Labor ipse voluptas

On Friday, November 6, 2020, 1:37:21 AM CST, Richard Davenport <klingon1@...> wrote:

I am working through the creation of the full list of the Mister Keene programs.  I initially used Jerry H's site but found he had made a mistake.  He skipped #41 and that threw the dates off.  It drove me crazing trying to sort it out till I used Excel to get it cleared up. 

I also found that based on the sequence of dates there is a show that would have aired on 51-02-29.  #371 which would have been on that date got bumped forward to the next date in the sequence (51-03-01) to be precise.   Jerry did not mention this in his list.  Does anyone have any idea what happened on that date that might have caused the pre-empting? 

Rick

Labor ipse voluptas

Ian

Will stick them in
jj

Ryan Ellett

Per Cox's book, episode 371 (1331) aired Thursday February 22, 1951 and episode 372 (1332) aired the next week on Thursday March 1, 1951. I don't see a missing show in there.
Ryan

www.RyanEllett.com

The Old Time Radio Researchers
"Saving the Past for the Future"

www.OTRR.org
www.OTRRLibrary.org

On Friday, November 6, 2020, 01:37:20 AM CST, Richard Davenport <klingon1@...> wrote:

Rick

Labor ipse voluptas

Ian

Will stick them in
jj

Jim Jones

Ian:
Fascinating story! Yes the cowboy heroes of that time were much admired. When they renamed Berwyn, OK to   Gene Autry, OK 35,000 people attended the ceremony. Pretty amazing for a town of about 200 people during the height of WWII.

My personal experience with Hopalong Cassidy happened during a Rose Parade in Pasadena. I was a young boy around 5 or 6 years old. The parade had come to a brief stop, which it frequently did. During the pause, Hoppy came riding up. He saw me, reached down and pulled me up and sat me there with him on top of Topper. We rode around for a couple of minutes waving to the crowd. The parade started up again. He returned me to my parents and then rode off. Such a big event in a young boys life. I remember it like yesterday, and that was over 70 years ago.

I believe that one of the things that made the cowboy heroes of that time special is that they all had Creeds or Codes they published and encouraged children to live by. These creeds included respect of parents, country, hard work, studying hard, being clean and courteous, going to church, being truthful, helping others . . . and on and on. Hoppy had the "Hopalong Cassidy Creed for American Boys and Girls". Gene Autry - "Gene Autry Cowboy Code of Honor". Roy Rogers - "Roy Rogers Riders Club Rules". Lone Ranger - "The Lone Ranger's Creed". . . and many others had their Cods of Conduct including Tom Mix, Buck Jones, Wild Bill Hickock. It is no wonder these matinee heroes we so admired and respected, they promoted simple life values our country once strongly believed in.

Thanks again for your insightful William Boyd story. 

jj

B. J. Watkins

Rick wrote "I also found that based on the sequence of dates there is a show that would have aired on 51-02-29.  #371 which would have been on that date got bumped forward to the next date in the sequence (51-03-01) to be precise.   Jerry did not mention this in his list.  Does anyone have any idea what happened on that date that might have caused the pre-empting?"

Yes! 1951 was not a leap year. Therefore, there was no Feb 29 that year! That date was March 1.

Barbara

From: main@OldTimeRadioResearchers.groups.io <main@OldTimeRadioResearchers.groups.io> on behalf of Ryan Ellett via groups.io <oldradiotimes@...>
Sent: Friday, November 6, 2020 6:19 AM
To: main@OldTimeRadioResearchers.groups.io <main@OldTimeRadioResearchers.groups.io>

Per Cox's book, episode 371 (1331) aired Thursday February 22, 1951 and episode 372 (1332) aired the next week on Thursday March 1, 1951. I don't see a missing show in there.
Ryan

www.RyanEllett.com

www.OTRR.org
www.OTRRLibrary.org

On Friday, November 6, 2020, 01:37:20 AM CST, Richard Davenport <klingon1@...> wrote:

Rick

Labor ipse voluptas

Ian

Will stick them in
jj

Jim Jones

Thanks Richard.
That is the file I have and am trying to replace. I have run it through Audacity and improved it some, but would still like a better copy.
Thanks again
jj

B. J. Watkins

From: main@OldTimeRadioResearchers.groups.io <main@OldTimeRadioResearchers.groups.io> on behalf of Jim Jones <otr@...>
Sent: Friday, November 6, 2020 6:36 AM
To: main@OldTimeRadioResearchers.groups.io <main@OldTimeRadioResearchers.groups.io>

Thanks Richard.
That is the file I have and am trying to replace. I have run it through Audacity and improved it some, but would still like a better copy.
Thanks again
jj

Jim Jones

B.J. Watkins
Excellent quality. I would like 105 shows of this caliber.
Will add this to the upgrade.
Thanks,
jj

B. J. Watkins

You're welcome, Jim. Loved your Hoppy story. I'm jealous!

From: main@OldTimeRadioResearchers.groups.io <main@OldTimeRadioResearchers.groups.io> on behalf of Jim Jones <otr@...>
Sent: Friday, November 6, 2020 7:04 AM

B.J. Watkins
Excellent quality. I would like 105 shows of this caliber.
Will add this to the upgrade.
Thanks,
jj

Ian Grieve

G'day Jim, what a fantastic experience.  Gives you an insight into the man.

Ian

Sent: 7/11/2020 12:31:55 AM

Ian:
Fascinating story! Yes the cowboy heroes of that time were much admired. When they renamed Berwyn, OK to   Gene Autry, OK 35,000 people attended the ceremony. Pretty amazing for a town of about 200 people during the height of WWII.

My personal experience with Hopalong Cassidy happened during a Rose Parade in Pasadena. I was a young boy around 5 or 6 years old. The parade had come to a brief stop, which it frequently did. During the pause, Hoppy came riding up. He saw me, reached down and pulled me up and sat me there with him on top of Topper. We rode around for a couple of minutes waving to the crowd. The parade started up again. He returned me to my parents and then rode off. Such a big event in a young boys life. I remember it like yesterday, and that was over 70 years ago.

I believe that one of the things that made the cowboy heroes of that time special is that they all had Creeds or Codes they published and encouraged children to live by. These creeds included respect of parents, country, hard work, studying hard, being clean and courteous, going to church, being truthful, helping others . . . and on and on. Hoppy had the "Hopalong Cassidy Creed for American Boys and Girls". Gene Autry - "Gene Autry Cowboy Code of Honor". Roy Rogers - "Roy Rogers Riders Club Rules". Lone Ranger - "The Lone Ranger's Creed". . . and many others had their Cods of Conduct including Tom Mix, Buck Jones, Wild Bill Hickock. It is no wonder these matinee heroes we so admired and respected, they promoted simple life values our country once strongly believed in.

Thanks again for your insightful William Boyd story. 

jj

Ryan Ellett

A lot of people may have already downloaded the Hoppy set that Jim posted, but our Certified set will also be updated  with all this work he's done. So if you would like the show but in the Maintained format with the accompanying documentation, that will be coming soon through our normal channels!
Ryan

www.RyanEllett.com

www.OTRR.org
www.OTRRLibrary.org

On Thursday, November 5, 2020, 03:43:19 PM CST, Jim Jones <otr@...> wrote:

Thanks in advance.
A Hoppy Fan

Richard Davenport

Heres a better one...

Labor ipse voluptas

On Friday, November 6, 2020, 9:07:54 PM CST, Ryan Ellett via groups.io <oldradiotimes@...> wrote:

A lot of people may have already downloaded the Hoppy set that Jim posted, but our Certified set will also be updated  with all this work he's done. So if you would like the show but in the Maintained format with the accompanying documentation, that will be coming soon through our normal channels!
Ryan

www.RyanEllett.com

www.OTRR.org
www.OTRRLibrary.org

On Thursday, November 5, 2020, 03:43:19 PM CST, Jim Jones <otr@...> wrote:

Thanks in advance.
A Hoppy Fan

Jim Jones

Thanks. Added to set.
Any chance you have ep 44 - Death Runs Dry?

jj