John Nicholson

Is there an index of articles in the Old Radio Times or Radio Recall. It seems that would be very helpful for researchers. Thanks.

John Nicholson

Richard Davenport

Building a searchable synopses for the Digest articles would be an interesting project for someone to take on...

On Tuesday, December 29, 2020, 12:20:32 PM CST, John Nicholson <wryterjccc@...> wrote:

Is there an index of articles in the Old Radio Times or Radio Recall. It seems that would be very helpful for researchers. Thanks.

John Nicholson

Ryan Ellett

If you visit our new magazine section (https://otrr.org/mains.html?c=mags)you'll see many issues have articles with page numbers. I don't know how thorough each issue is (unfortunately the covers are distorted but that doesn't impact the content) but the work has been started for many issues. We do not host Radio Recall because they have not given us permission to do so; at one point (years ago) they sold access to all their back issues. I don't know if that has changed since.

On Tuesday, December 29, 2020, 04:07:03 PM CST, Richard Davenport <klingon1@...> wrote:

Building a searchable synopses for the Digest articles would be an interesting project for someone to take on...

On Tuesday, December 29, 2020, 12:20:32 PM CST, John Nicholson <wryterjccc@...> wrote:

Is there an index of articles in the Old Radio Times or Radio Recall. It seems that would be very helpful for researchers. Thanks.

John Nicholson

Paul Kornman

It's not an index, more of a Table of Contents. From that page (https://otrr.org/mains.html?c=mags), if you select "List by Issue", you will see a long table that lists every article, its author (if identified) and page number. Clicking the row in the table will open the issue to the indicated page. There is no index, as that would require a categorization and identification for each article. If someone would like to take on that job, I can send them the table of contents in a spreadsheet (or some other format).

BTW: In the New Year, I'll be working on creating an interactive search tool for the OTR Digest as well as OTRR's Yahoo Group messages that have been archived,
- Paul

Ryan Ellett

Paul is correct, I misunderstood what was originally asked. An article index would definitely be a different level of resource than the current table of contents. If anyone is up to it, go for it. Having indexed four books, I'm going to stay as far from that as possible!

On Wednesday, December 30, 2020, 05:15:36 AM CST, Paul Kornman via groups.io <pkornman@...> wrote:

It's not an index, more of a Table of Contents. From that page (https://otrr.org/mains.html?c=mags), if you select "List by Issue", you will see a long table that lists every article, its author (if identified) and page number. Clicking the row in the table will open the issue to the indicated page. There is no index, as that would require a categorization and identification for each article. If someone would like to take on that job, I can send them the table of contents in a spreadsheet (or some other format).

BTW: In the New Year, I'll be working on creating an interactive search tool for the OTR Digest as well as OTRR's Yahoo Group messages that have been archived,
- Paul

John Nicholson

Sorry, Paul, but I don’t find that option available on either the new or old web site. I’ve briefly looked at all the magazines that start with up to the letter “M”, so I think I know what you are talking about. I’m thinking of indexing the issues of The Old Radio Times to start and then Radio Recall if it is available. Still haven’t committed firmly to it yet, but the idea is rattling around in my head. If there is a different club magazine that might hold more articles about shows and people, let me know and I’ll take a look. Also, if you can send me a spreadsheet with the format that works for you, that would be helpful. Thanks.

John