Topics

Intro

Gordon Johansen

I post seldom because of time limitations though I really enjoy it when I get the emails from others who do post. I go by the Canadian abbreviation of Gordon (which is Gord) as a rule unless signing things.

First OTR was Green Hornet on an old cable TW station when they ran it weekly as filler. I still remember turning out the lights and dimming the screen to get the proper feeling for it. A local radio station ran shows from 11-1 at night and that gave me a true appreciation of the breadth of what was available. The only problem was that I would almost always fall asleep and miss the last 10 minutes of the show. After realizing they recycled the shows and that I still always missed the last bits, I looked around and discovered the world of mp3s. Life was wonderful again.

Nowadays, I tend to listen to kids/adventure shows while doing paperwork and detective/adventure/SF/westerns to fall asleep with at night. Works great and it will sometimes take 3-4 days to get through a single episode as I work through the series.

My all time favourite shows are anything by Carleton Morse (I Love a Mystery is the best ever)  but I have seldom stopped listening to any series once I have started it.

Gord

Larry Maupin wrote on 4/03/20 9:32 AM:

It would be great to see more messages from other members to this group, and I wonder if there are so few because some people have never sent one and aren't sure how to do it.  This is what works for me: Sent an email to Main@OldTimeRadioResearchers.groups.io.

It is the weekend, and most of us are probably at home looking for enjoyable things to do.  So what if everyone would just send a brief message and tell everyone what your favorite old-time radio program is, or something like that?  I'm sure everyone would like to know.  Also, since joining the group in January I have not seen one disrespectful reply to a post, so it is safe to send a message here.

I hope at least a few people will do that, and I will happily read every word you write.

Larry Maupin

Hi Gord.  When you do post, it's always something really good like this one with all its details.  It reminds me of the time when I was working my way through a long story line of "The Guiding Light."  I listened to it in bed and kept falling asleep.  It involved a murder, and it took me forever to get to the episode where the victim was killed.

I post seldom because of time limitations though I really enjoy it when
I get the emails from others who do post. I go by the Canadian
abbreviation of Gordon (which is Gord) as a rule unless signing things.

First OTR was Green Hornet on an old cable TW station when they ran it
weekly as filler. I still remember turning out the lights and dimming
the screen to get the proper feeling for it. A local radio station ran
shows from 11-1 at night and that gave me a true appreciation of the
breadth of what was available. The only problem was that I would almost
always fall asleep and miss the last 10 minutes of the show. After
realizing they recycled the shows and that I still always missed the
last bits, I looked around and discovered the world of mp3s. Life was
wonderful again.

Nowadays, I tend to listen to kids/adventure shows while doing paperwork
and detective/adventure/SF/westerns to fall asleep with at night. Works
great and it will sometimes take 3-4 days to get through a single
episode as I work through the series.

My all time favourite shows are anything by Carleton Morse (I Love a
Mystery is the best ever)  but I have seldom stopped listening to any
series once I have started it.

Gord

Larry Maupin wrote on 4/03/20 9:32 AM:
> It would be great to see more messages from other members to this
> group, and I wonder if there are so few because some people have never
> sent one and aren't sure how to do it.  This is what works for me:
> Sent an email to Main@OldTimeRadioResearchers.groups.io.
>
> It is the weekend, and most of us are probably at home looking for
> enjoyable things to do.  So what if everyone would just send a brief
> message and tell everyone what your favorite old-time radio program
> is, or something like that?  I'm sure everyone would like to know.
> Also, since joining the group in January I have not seen one
> disrespectful reply to a post, so it is safe to send a message here.
>
> I hope at least a few people will do that, and I will happily read
> every word you write.

Gordon Johansen

Thanks for the kind words Larry. I actually forgot to post a little bit about myself so here's the short bio like others have been doing.

Just turned 63 and have been listening since I was about 16 with breaks for real life. Two daughters will do that.  I always remember my mom telling me that she wasn't allowed to listen to Green Hornet when they were little so it was funny that it was the first show I actually ever heard. She's 89 now and I have her set up on a tablet so she can listen to lots of shows whenever she wants to. It's great for her as her sight is almost gone though she still golfs with people 10 years younger, dances for hours and plays pool with her 99 year old friend.

I have my own game store in Calgary called The Sentry Box and we just had the 40th anniversary on Jan 1st this year. At 19,000 sq ft, it is the biggest of its kind in the world as far as I know. We don't sell video games, just things like board games, D&D, historical games, SF&F books and miniatures that people can play or paint. I still love what I do, other than government paperwork. Here's a CBC article that was also on MSN that day if you are interested. https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/calgary/sentry-box-d-d-scifi-fantasy-gaming-board-games-1.5412019
(The beard in the picture is normally not there. It was just for fun after a holiday) or a TV interview at https://globalnews.ca/video/6374091/calgary-gaming-store-celebrates-40-year-milestone With 30 staff, it keeps me busy even though I am only there about 15 hours a week now. I'm lucky to have a great manager and assistant manager in place so I never have to stress about the day to day operations as a rule.

I actually have turned a lot of customers onto OTR as well as we tend to have a very personal relationship with most of them. I've told lots of them how I set my mom up and they usually think it is a great idea for there parents too as they don't like a lot of the TV that is on now.

Gord

Larry Maupin wrote on 4/03/20 1:30 PM:

Hi Gord.  When you do post, it's always something really good like this one with all its details.  It reminds me of the time when I was working my way through a long story line of "The Guiding Light."  I listened to it in bed and kept falling asleep.  It involved a murder, and it took me forever to get to the episode where the victim was killed.

I post seldom because of time limitations though I really enjoy it when
I get the emails from others who do post. I go by the Canadian
abbreviation of Gordon (which is Gord) as a rule unless signing things.

First OTR was Green Hornet on an old cable TW station when they ran it
weekly as filler. I still remember turning out the lights and dimming
the screen to get the proper feeling for it. A local radio station ran
shows from 11-1 at night and that gave me a true appreciation of the
breadth of what was available. The only problem was that I would almost
always fall asleep and miss the last 10 minutes of the show. After
realizing they recycled the shows and that I still always missed the
last bits, I looked around and discovered the world of mp3s. Life was
wonderful again.

Nowadays, I tend to listen to kids/adventure shows while doing paperwork
and detective/adventure/SF/westerns to fall asleep with at night. Works
great and it will sometimes take 3-4 days to get through a single
episode as I work through the series.

My all time favourite shows are anything by Carleton Morse (I Love a
Mystery is the best ever)  but I have seldom stopped listening to any
series once I have started it.

Gord

Larry Maupin wrote on 4/03/20 9:32 AM:
> It would be great to see more messages from other members to this
> group, and I wonder if there are so few because some people have never
> sent one and aren't sure how to do it.  This is what works for me:
> Sent an email to Main@OldTimeRadioResearchers.groups.io.
>
> It is the weekend, and most of us are probably at home looking for
> enjoyable things to do.  So what if everyone would just send a brief
> message and tell everyone what your favorite old-time radio program
> is, or something like that?  I'm sure everyone would like to know.
> Also, since joining the group in January I have not seen one
> disrespectful reply to a post, so it is safe to send a message here.
>
> I hope at least a few people will do that, and I will happily read
> every word you write.

Hello Gordon.  Well, I must say you look very handsome in the photograph.  I read the entire article in the link you sent, and it's impressive that your store is the largest of its kind in the world.

Your post makes me think of a couple of things.  I have always been an admirer of Canada.  When I was a teenager I listened for hours to Radio Canada on my shortwave radio and never tired of it.  Years ago I bought a copy of Alice Munro's "Selected Stories" which is several hundred pages in length, and I think all of them are set in Canada, mostly on farms and in small towns.  She won a Nobel Prize for her short fiction earlier this century.

The other thing is that from the time I was about thirteen I have enjoyed playing APBA Baseball, which is a cards and dice game that seeks to reflect the actual performances of each Major League Baseball player and team.  I went without lunch at school for a month in order to save enough money to buy my first game, and I have never regretted that.

Please keep posting.  This breakout we have had on the Main Group site today has been so much fun, and it is great to have so many people sharing their favorite shows and how they came to be OTR enthusiasts.

I post seldom because of time limitations though I really enjoy it when
I get the emails from others who do post. I go by the Canadian
abbreviation of Gordon (which is Gord) as a rule unless signing things.

First OTR was Green Hornet on an old cable TW station when they ran it
weekly as filler. I still remember turning out the lights and dimming
the screen to get the proper feeling for it. A local radio station ran
shows from 11-1 at night and that gave me a true appreciation of the
breadth of what was available. The only problem was that I would almost
always fall asleep and miss the last 10 minutes of the show. After
realizing they recycled the shows and that I still always missed the
last bits, I looked around and discovered the world of mp3s. Life was
wonderful again.

Nowadays, I tend to listen to kids/adventure shows while doing paperwork
and detective/adventure/SF/westerns to fall asleep with at night. Works
great and it will sometimes take 3-4 days to get through a single
episode as I work through the series.

My all time favourite shows are anything by Carleton Morse (I Love a
Mystery is the best ever)  but I have seldom stopped listening to any
series once I have started it.

Gord

Larry Maupin wrote on 4/03/20 9:32 AM:
> It would be great to see more messages from other members to this
> group, and I wonder if there are so few because some people have never
> sent one and aren't sure how to do it.  This is what works for me:
> Sent an email to Main@OldTimeRadioResearchers.groups.io.
>
> It is the weekend, and most of us are probably at home looking for
> enjoyable things to do.  So what if everyone would just send a brief
> message and tell everyone what your favorite old-time radio program
> is, or something like that?  I'm sure everyone would like to know.
> Also, since joining the group in January I have not seen one
> disrespectful reply to a post, so it is safe to send a message here.
>
> I hope at least a few people will do that, and I will happily read
> every word you write.

Gordon
Neat! My wife and I are big board gamers; it's the hobby that competes the most for my time with OTR these days. I sink a lot of money into Fantasy Flight's LCG lines but my wife and I really enjoy light-mid-weight Euros like Wingspan, almost any Uwe Rosenberg game, Concordia, etc. We've been digging roll-and-writes lately. Unfortunately our local game store has had to close for the time being under Kansas' stay-at-home order. I'm hoping he has the cash reserves to ride this out; our town has a very active gaming community and it would be a blow to lose our FLGS!

On Fri, Apr 3, 2020 at 10:44 PM, Gordon Johansen wrote:

[...]

Scott Galley

Well, here's a coincidence; my wife and I are big board gamers as well (mostly war games/historical games), Canadian and... I work for the CBC. The big, National mothership in Toronto. Maybe you've got a new customer, Gordon!

As for radio show favourites... there are too many to name. We listen to everything from American Golden Age, Australian Golden Age, South African, British, Canadian... if it's in english and it's quality (at least, what we consider quality; to each their own), we're there.

Yours faithfully,
Scott

Ryan Ellett

Scott,
Did you ever dive into Advanced Squad Leader? I spent about three years playing that and decided last year that it required too much time to become even semi-proficient in and quit cold turkey. Have been selling off my collection ever since!
Ryan

On Sat, Apr 4, 2020 at 08:49 AM, Scott Galley wrote:
Well, here's a coincidence; my wife and I are big board gamers as well (mostly war games/historical games), Canadian and... I work for the CBC. The big, National mothership in Toronto. Maybe you've got a new customer, Gordon!

As for radio show favourites... there are too many to name. We listen to everything from American Golden Age, Australian Golden Age, South African, British, Canadian... if it's in english and it's quality (at least, what we consider quality; to each their own), we're there.

Yours faithfully,
Scott

Gordon Johansen

That is an odd coincidence Scott. You are one of the lucky ones as having a wife who plays wargames as well is extremely rare. It is probably our love of history that begins our interest in both of these hobbies. I'm an old wargamer too and still play a few times a weeks My wargames room is about 20x30 now and is the reason I bought my current house. It was a garage conversion so that it is carpeted, has nice bay windows, no basement teleposts in the way, and even has it's own door out onto a deck.

As you can tell, my OTR hobby takes up a lot less space than my gaming. My staff doesn't really understand either of them but since it's my store, I can keep the big (2000 sq ft) historical room as my office area. It's quieter that way.

Stay healthy,

Gord