Topics

Intro and Favorite OTR

David Lee Smith

My very first introduction to Old Time Radio drama/cpmedy, which may be a 'cheat' (as it was current then), was from riding the bus to school (around 1973- '74-ish)  and the radio would play each day the 2 minutes, or so, segments of.... The ADVENTURES of CHICKENMAN - "The White Winged Warrior.... He's every where, he's everywhere" (https://tinyurl.com/yx39oeay).

You can also add on my mother's DICKIE GOODMAN's  Flying Saucers (1973) and Mr. jaws (1975) Novelty LPs. Basically, both are radio-type (audio) plays and old now.

Later, each year during Halloween, a station somewhere would play Orson Welles' classic version of H. G. Well's "War of the Worlds." ABC's Friday Night Movie - "The Night That Panicked America" (1975) helped cement the story in my mind.

Even much later, for 'real' Old Time Radio like "War of the Worlds," came a few 1980's cassettes of The SHADOW, LONE RANGER, GREEN HORNET, DUFFY'S TAVERN, and FIBBER McGEE and MOLLY ("Heavenly days"). FIBBER McGEE (and DUFFY) are still favorites, and it's spin-off The Great GILDERSLEEVE. Vincent Price as The SAINT is a good to also.

Now-a-days there's WRVO Public Radio's "Tuned to Yesterday" during 10:00 PMs ride to work. This has turned me onto hearing Raymond Burr's FORD LARAMIE, Jimmy Stewart's SIX SHOOTER, and William Boyd's HOPALONG CASSIDY. Unlike television or movies their voices just resonate over the airways. I didn't think I'd enjoy Boyd as much as I do.

For really spooky find and listen to QUIET PLEASE's "Northern Lights (January 30, 1949) and "The Thing on the Fourble Board" (August 9, 1948).

My all-time favorite is the wonderfully funny The BICKERSONS, especially the unsold Pilot episode !(http://www.dumb.com/oldtimeradio/radio/9/comedies/Bickersons__The.html)

ENJOY OTR,
David Lee Smith
(I will say, I do not enjoy WRVO's yearly Christmas episodes of The CINNAMON BEAR)

Larry Maupin

Hello David.  This is a great post, and thank you for sharing so many details about your favorite otr shows.  I like The Bickersons too.  Sometimes when they are having one of their talks in bed one of them says something that is hilarious.  My favorite line is from an exchange in which Blanche accuses John of not loving her and re replies by reminding her that he just bought a life insurance policy with her as beneficiary as proof of his love.  She replies, something like "But I know very well you have no intention of dying.  You just did that to tantalize me."

Also, three group members including Ryan Ellett and Mike Thomas are working on a certification of "Duffy's Tavern" and may need another second listener to help on it.  If you are interested, let me know or just post that you are.  I will send you their email addresses.

Best wishes,