Topics

Joe Hehn Tuesday (December 22, 2020)


Ryan Ellett
 

Welcome back to "Joe Hehn Tuesday!"
Mr. Hehn (1931-2020) was a pioneering collector of radio recordings when the hobby emerged in the 1960s. Digitizing his collection of reel tapes and discs has been the effort of a wide range of North American volunteers, and includes assistance of some international collectors. The principal groups supporting this effort with their funds, time, technology and skills are the Old Time Radio Researchers and a small group of transcription disc preservationists who refer to themselves as the "The Knights of the Turning Table."
New material is being added very week to the Joe Hehn Collection on archive.org. We'll try to highlight some of that material on this Groups.io.
Tonight, something I've never heard of, an episode of Books Bring Adventure. Looking for some chills? Check out Suspense upgrades here. Or listen to the man himself, interviews with Joe Hehn.
Whatever your preference, enjoy!


Richard Davenport
 

Ryan,
Based on the guide posted by Jerry H. from which I built my guide for the Books Bring Adventure.  The two episodes of that series linked to are from 1944, not 1946, and are #'s 5 & 6 of that series. 

Rick

Labor ipse voluptas


On Tuesday, December 22, 2020, 6:24:46 PM CST, Ryan Ellett via groups.io <oldradiotimes@...> wrote:


Welcome back to "Joe Hehn Tuesday!"
Mr. Hehn (1931-2020) was a pioneering collector of radio recordings when the hobby emerged in the 1960s. Digitizing his collection of reel tapes and discs has been the effort of a wide range of North American volunteers, and includes assistance of some international collectors. The principal groups supporting this effort with their funds, time, technology and skills are the Old Time Radio Researchers and a small group of transcription disc preservationists who refer to themselves as the "The Knights of the Turning Table."
New material is being added very week to the Joe Hehn Collection on archive.org. We'll try to highlight some of that material on this Groups.io.
Tonight, something I've never heard of, an episode of Books Bring Adventure. Looking for some chills? Check out Suspense upgrades here. Or listen to the man himself, interviews with Joe Hehn.
Whatever your preference, enjoy!


Joe Webb
 


Matthew Nunes
 

Jerry's Books Bring Adventure log is correct. I did the research for him for that log. Jerry's dates are when series was recorded, and then it was later distributed for broadcast. Here is some of my research with additional information about the series:




On Wednesday, December 23, 2020, 08:10:27 AM EST, Joe Webb via groups.io <drjoewebb@...> wrote:



Richard Davenport
 

From the OTR site...I just want to make sure I have my information correct..Im gettin

Series: "BOOKS BRING ADVENTURE" Series 1 - One World (books with backgrounds in foreign lands) Syndicated by World Broadcasting System Producer: Gloria Chandler Director: Claude Morris ====================================================================================================== 111 "MISCHIEF IN FEZ" 1 1944 :15:00* By: Eleanor Hoffman 111 "TRAP LINES NORTH" 2 1944 :15:00* By: Stephen W. Meader 111 "GIFT OF THE FOREST" 3 1944 :15:00* By: Eloise Lownsbery & H. Lal Singh 111 "CAPTAIN KIDD'S COW" 4 1944 :15:00* By: Phil Strong 111 "STRUGGLE IS OUR BROTHER" 5 1944 :15:00* By: Gregor Felsen 111 "WHEN THE TYPHOON BLOWS" 6 1944 :15:00* By: Elizabeth Foreman Lewis


Labor ipse voluptas


On Wednesday, December 23, 2020, 11:36:17 AM CST, Matthew Nunes via groups.io <mjnunes84@...> wrote:


Jerry's Books Bring Adventure log is correct. I did the research for him for that log. Jerry's dates are when series was recorded, and then it was later distributed for broadcast. Here is some of my research with additional information about the series:




On Wednesday, December 23, 2020, 08:10:27 AM EST, Joe Webb via groups.io <drjoewebb@...> wrote:



Matthew Nunes
 

Yes, that's the right log.

On Wednesday, December 23, 2020, 09:07:02 PM EST, Richard Davenport <klingon1@...> wrote:


From the OTR site...I just want to make sure I have my information correct..Im gettin

Series: "BOOKS BRING ADVENTURE" Series 1 - One World (books with backgrounds in foreign lands) Syndicated by World Broadcasting System Producer: Gloria Chandler Director: Claude Morris ====================================================================================================== 111 "MISCHIEF IN FEZ" 1 1944 :15:00* By: Eleanor Hoffman 111 "TRAP LINES NORTH" 2 1944 :15:00* By: Stephen W. Meader 111 "GIFT OF THE FOREST" 3 1944 :15:00* By: Eloise Lownsbery & H. Lal Singh 111 "CAPTAIN KIDD'S COW" 4 1944 :15:00* By: Phil Strong 111 "STRUGGLE IS OUR BROTHER" 5 1944 :15:00* By: Gregor Felsen 111 "WHEN THE TYPHOON BLOWS" 6 1944 :15:00* By: Elizabeth Foreman Lewis


Labor ipse voluptas


On Wednesday, December 23, 2020, 11:36:17 AM CST, Matthew Nunes via groups.io <mjnunes84@...> wrote:


Jerry's Books Bring Adventure log is correct. I did the research for him for that log. Jerry's dates are when series was recorded, and then it was later distributed for broadcast. Here is some of my research with additional information about the series:




On Wednesday, December 23, 2020, 08:10:27 AM EST, Joe Webb via groups.io <drjoewebb@...> wrote:



Richard Davenport
 

I was told by Joe Webb that they have newspaper confirmation that the shows were from 1946.  The titles are not repeated so 1944 run is the only place the shows of that title appear. 

Rick

Labor ipse voluptas


On Wednesday, December 23, 2020, 9:55:16 PM CST, Matthew Nunes via groups.io <mjnunes84@...> wrote:


Yes, that's the right log.

On Wednesday, December 23, 2020, 09:07:02 PM EST, Richard Davenport <klingon1@...> wrote:


From the OTR site...I just want to make sure I have my information correct..Im gettin

Series: "BOOKS BRING ADVENTURE" Series 1 - One World (books with backgrounds in foreign lands) Syndicated by World Broadcasting System Producer: Gloria Chandler Director: Claude Morris ====================================================================================================== 111 "MISCHIEF IN FEZ" 1 1944 :15:00* By: Eleanor Hoffman 111 "TRAP LINES NORTH" 2 1944 :15:00* By: Stephen W. Meader 111 "GIFT OF THE FOREST" 3 1944 :15:00* By: Eloise Lownsbery & H. Lal Singh 111 "CAPTAIN KIDD'S COW" 4 1944 :15:00* By: Phil Strong 111 "STRUGGLE IS OUR BROTHER" 5 1944 :15:00* By: Gregor Felsen 111 "WHEN THE TYPHOON BLOWS" 6 1944 :15:00* By: Elizabeth Foreman Lewis


Labor ipse voluptas


On Wednesday, December 23, 2020, 11:36:17 AM CST, Matthew Nunes via groups.io <mjnunes84@...> wrote:


Jerry's Books Bring Adventure log is correct. I did the research for him for that log. Jerry's dates are when series was recorded, and then it was later distributed for broadcast. Here is some of my research with additional information about the series:




On Wednesday, December 23, 2020, 08:10:27 AM EST, Joe Webb via groups.io <drjoewebb@...> wrote:



Joe Webb
 
Edited

these are syndicated programs and could be played most any time

i found newspaper listings and ads and articles in 1946 for both episodes
this was also the year written on the contents sheet of the reel they were transferred from
file names being changed to say 1944-1946

--


Matthew Nunes
 

Yes, Joe is correct. As a syndicated series, the programs were played on many different stations on many different dates. Even though Series 1 of Books Bring Adventure was first recorded and broadcast in 1944, it continued to be broadcast and distributed for several years, into the 1950s. The first two series were very popular, and so additional episodes were recorded for a total of 53 episodes (as far as we know) with 4 series of 13 episodes and then one extra recorded separately. It's been a little while since I went through all of my research on the series, but I seem to recall that since the series became popular (not only for broadcast but for use in schools and libraries), additional copies had to be made, which probably accounts for the 1946 dating. Many of Jerry's label scans are also dated as 1946, even though the first recordings of Series 1 and Series 2 came earlier.

On Thursday, December 24, 2020, 07:16:50 AM EST, Joe Webb via groups.io <drjoewebb@...> wrote:


[Edited Message Follows]

these are syndicated programs and could be played most any time

i found newspaper listings and ads and articles in 1946 for both episodes
this was also the year written on the contents sheet of the reel they were transferred from

--


Richard Davenport
 

To clarify, I was asking because Jerry H's log puts the titles in the 1944 set.  Another chimed in and said he helped Jerry create the listing, another said it was research verified with newspaper articles as 46.  I found that generally, Jerry is pretty good about the accuracy of his material.  The titles place them in the 1944 logs but the newspaper articles say 1946.  I only want to be accurate.  If I adjust the year then it puts them into the 1946 folder then the titles does not have a place to line up.  As someone pointed out it's 13 per year.  

Rick

Labor ipse voluptas


On Thursday, December 24, 2020, 1:36:49 PM CST, Matthew Nunes via groups.io <mjnunes84@...> wrote:


Yes, Joe is correct. As a syndicated series, the programs were played on many different stations on many different dates. Even though Series 1 of Books Bring Adventure was first recorded and broadcast in 1944, it continued to be broadcast and distributed for several years, into the 1950s. The first two series were very popular, and so additional episodes were recorded for a total of 53 episodes (as far as we know) with 4 series of 13 episodes and then one extra recorded separately. It's been a little while since I went through all of my research on the series, but I seem to recall that since the series became popular (not only for broadcast but for use in schools and libraries), additional copies had to be made, which probably accounts for the 1946 dating. Many of Jerry's label scans are also dated as 1946, even though the first recordings of Series 1 and Series 2 came earlier.

On Thursday, December 24, 2020, 07:16:50 AM EST, Joe Webb via groups.io <drjoewebb@...> wrote:


[Edited Message Follows]

these are syndicated programs and could be played most any time

i found newspaper listings and ads and articles in 1946 for both episodes
this was also the year written on the contents sheet of the reel they were transferred from

--


Matthew Nunes
 

For syndicated series like this, I usually go with the year it was recorded (1944 in this case). 1946 is accurate for when it was broadcast on some stations, but it was also broadcast before that as well.

On Thursday, December 24, 2020, 05:46:04 PM EST, Richard Davenport <klingon1@...> wrote:


To clarify, I was asking because Jerry H's log puts the titles in the 1944 set.  Another chimed in and said he helped Jerry create the listing, another said it was research verified with newspaper articles as 46.  I found that generally, Jerry is pretty good about the accuracy of his material.  The titles place them in the 1944 logs but the newspaper articles say 1946.  I only want to be accurate.  If I adjust the year then it puts them into the 1946 folder then the titles does not have a place to line up.  As someone pointed out it's 13 per year.  

Rick

Labor ipse voluptas


On Thursday, December 24, 2020, 1:36:49 PM CST, Matthew Nunes via groups.io <mjnunes84@...> wrote:


Yes, Joe is correct. As a syndicated series, the programs were played on many different stations on many different dates. Even though Series 1 of Books Bring Adventure was first recorded and broadcast in 1944, it continued to be broadcast and distributed for several years, into the 1950s. The first two series were very popular, and so additional episodes were recorded for a total of 53 episodes (as far as we know) with 4 series of 13 episodes and then one extra recorded separately. It's been a little while since I went through all of my research on the series, but I seem to recall that since the series became popular (not only for broadcast but for use in schools and libraries), additional copies had to be made, which probably accounts for the 1946 dating. Many of Jerry's label scans are also dated as 1946, even though the first recordings of Series 1 and Series 2 came earlier.

On Thursday, December 24, 2020, 07:16:50 AM EST, Joe Webb via groups.io <drjoewebb@...> wrote:


[Edited Message Follows]

these are syndicated programs and could be played most any time

i found newspaper listings and ads and articles in 1946 for both episodes
this was also the year written on the contents sheet of the reel they were transferred from

--


Jim Jones
 


This comes from the Pittsfield Berkshire Evening Eagle 12/01/1944


Jim Jones
 


Here is a listing for Books Bring Adventure 12/8/1944 for the next day Sat 12/9/1944. 
This proves show was broadcast in 1944.

I found A LOT of 1945 references which I might be able to trace back to 1944 if needed.