Topics

joining the group

Michael Hingson

Hey all,

I recently joined, but now just got time to post. I have been collecting OTR programs since 1968 and had my own show for several years. I have a large bookcase of reel to reel tapes to prove it, but MP3 does help with space.

Looking forward to reading your posts.

Best Regards,

Michael Hingson

Richard Davenport

Michael Hingson,
If you have some reel to reel stuff you should check and see if provides any upgrades to anything in the group library?  You never know.  We have a number of folks that have a way to pull it off the reels, digitize it and clean it up.  Jerry Haendiges is a true master of this.  He has an amazing online reference of show info that has been being built for a number of years. 

If you are into a show please let us know. If you need a show just ask.  We here love to pass material back and forth to enhance our respective libraries.  Its is labor of love and we love the labor...

Rick

Labor ipse voluptas

On Thursday, December 10, 2020, 7:34:41 PM CST, Michael Hingson <mike@...> wrote:

Hey all,

I recently joined, but now just got time to post. I have been collecting OTR programs since 1968 and had my own show for several years. I have a large bookcase of reel to reel tapes to prove it, but MP3 does help with space.

Best Regards,

Michael Hingson

Ryan Ellett

Welcome, Michael! OTRR has just been involved in acquiring two reel collections, approximately 5-6,000 reels total. They should be digitized over the next year or two. We are finding brand new material, material that seems to have dropped out of circulation over the years, and upgrades to circulating material. The lure finally pulled me into borrowing a deck to help with the project. Who knows what goodies lurk on your reels?
Ryan

www.RyanEllett.com

The Old Time Radio Researchers
"Saving the Past for the Future"

www.OTRR.org
www.OTRRLibrary.org

On Thursday, December 10, 2020, 7:34:39 PM CST, Michael Hingson <mike@...> wrote:

Hey all,

Best Regards,

Michael Hingson

Michael Hingson

Thanks Ryan. I am slowly digitizing the materials I find is not yet available in MP3 format, at least that is what I am using for the most part. Now, my nice little tape recorder is rebelling. Anyone have ideas on getting a Sony 105 repaired? The main drive belt has gotten old and needs to go to that rubber pile in the sky.

Best Regards,

Michael Hingson

From: main@OldTimeRadioResearchers.groups.io On Behalf Of Ryan Ellett via groups.io
Sent: Thursday, December 10, 2020 5:57 PM
To: main@OldTimeRadioResearchers.groups.io
Subject: Re: [OldTimeRadioResearchers] joining the group

Welcome, Michael! OTRR has just been involved in acquiring two reel collections, approximately 5-6,000 reels total. They should be digitized over the next year or two. We are finding brand new material, material that seems to have dropped out of circulation over the years, and upgrades to circulating material. The lure finally pulled me into borrowing a deck to help with the project. Who knows what goodies lurk on your reels?

Ryan

On Thursday, December 10, 2020, 7:34:39 PM CST, Michael Hingson <mike@...> wrote:

Hey all,

Best Regards,

Michael Hingson

Michael Hingson

Rick,

Thanks. Would love to help and contribute in any way I can. Is there a list of what is in the library?

Best Regards,

Michael Hingson

From: main@OldTimeRadioResearchers.groups.io On Behalf Of Richard Davenport
Sent: Thursday, December 10, 2020 5:46 PM

Michael Hingson,

If you have some reel to reel stuff you should check and see if provides any upgrades to anything in the group library?  You never know.  We have a number of folks that have a way to pull it off the reels, digitize it and clean it up.  Jerry Haendiges is a true master of this.  He has an amazing online reference of show info that has been being built for a number of years. 

If you are into a show please let us know. If you need a show just ask.  We here love to pass material back and forth to enhance our respective libraries.  Its is labor of love and we love the labor...

Rick

Labor ipse voluptas

On Thursday, December 10, 2020, 7:34:41 PM CST, Michael Hingson <mike@...> wrote:

Hey all,

Best Regards,

Michael Hingson

Ryan Ellett

We also have a Purchasing Group ($5 per month) that is always searching out new or upgraded material to add to our library for all to enjoy. Email Jim Wood (otr@...) for details.
Ryan

www.RyanEllett.com

www.OTRR.org
www.OTRRLibrary.org

On Thursday, December 10, 2020, 08:28:26 PM CST, Michael Hingson <mike@...> wrote:

Rick,

Thanks. Would love to help and contribute in any way I can. Is there a list of what is in the library?

Best Regards,

Michael Hingson

Larry Gassman <larrygassman@...>

Mike,

Not sure they even make those belts any more.

But if you like, I can ask on the lists I belong to.

Larry

From: main@OldTimeRadioResearchers.groups.io <main@OldTimeRadioResearchers.groups.io> On Behalf Of Michael Hingson
Sent: Thursday, December 10, 2020 6:27 PM

Thanks Ryan. I am slowly digitizing the materials I find is not yet available in MP3 format, at least that is what I am using for the most part. Now, my nice little tape recorder is rebelling. Anyone have ideas on getting a Sony 105 repaired? The main drive belt has gotten old and needs to go to that rubber pile in the sky.

Best Regards,

Michael Hingson

From: main@OldTimeRadioResearchers.groups.io On Behalf Of Ryan Ellett via groups.io

Ryan

Hey all,

Best Regards,

Michael Hingson

John Gassman

One of the many talents Jerry has is his research resulting in many radio logs. I'm sure you know that Michael. You can get to them on Jerry's vintageradioplace web page.
John

At 05:46 PM 12/10/2020, you wrote:
Michael Hingson,

Rick

Labor ipse voluptas

Hey all,

Best Regards,

Michael Hingson

JAWS Certified, 2014.
http://www.FreedomScientific.com/Certification

Allan Foster

You can get new belts on several sites including Amazon, and can also find a copy of the service manual.  It looks like that model has either two or three belts.  Hopefully that’s all you need.

On Thursday, December 10, 2020, 8:34 PM, Ryan Ellett via groups.io <oldradiotimes@...> wrote:

We also have a Purchasing Group ($5 per month) that is always searching out new or upgraded material to add to our library for all to enjoy. Email Jim Wood (otr@...) for details.
Ryan

www.RyanEllett.com

www.OTRR.org
www.OTRRLibrary.org

On Thursday, December 10, 2020, 08:28:26 PM CST, Michael Hingson <mike@...> wrote:

Rick,

Best Regards,

Michael Hingson

Phil Becker

From: main@OldTimeRadioResearchers.groups.io [mailto:main@OldTimeRadioResearchers.groups.io] On Behalf Of Michael Hingson

Best Regards,

Michael Hingson

Ryan

Hey all,

Best Regards,

Michael Hingson

Michael Hingson

Thanks much.

From: main@OldTimeRadioResearchers.groups.io On Behalf Of Phil Becker
Sent: Thursday, December 10, 2020 8:47 PM

Here’s an ebay link to buy the belt

https://www.ebay.com/itm/SONY-TC-105-TC-105A-TC-530-TC-530D-TC-530P-BELT-KIT-FREE-SHIP/192857709895?hash=item2ce7371d47:g:wXAAAOSw~lRc1sOV

Phil

From: main@OldTimeRadioResearchers.groups.io [mailto:main@OldTimeRadioResearchers.groups.io] On Behalf Of Michael Hingson

Best Regards,

Michael Hingson

Ryan

Hey all,

Best Regards,

Michael Hingson

Bill Hartig <hartig@...>

From: main@OldTimeRadioResearchers.groups.io <main@OldTimeRadioResearchers.groups.io> On Behalf Of Larry Gassman
Sent: Thursday, December 10, 2020 9:35 PM

Mike,

Not sure they even make those belts any more.

But if you like, I can ask on the lists I belong to.

Larry

From: main@OldTimeRadioResearchers.groups.io <main@OldTimeRadioResearchers.groups.io> On Behalf Of Michael Hingson

Best Regards,

Michael Hingson

Ryan

Hey all,

Best Regards,

Michael Hingson

Dave Tysver

There are still a few shops in the country that repair our old tape recorders and other audio equipment. Within the past year I’ve successfully used Paradymne at 1744 Fulton Ave #A, Sacramento, CA 95825 to repair a Marantz 2325 receiver and two tape recorders, a Teac A3300SX and a Pioneer RT-707. Their web site https://paradyme.com/what-we-do/vintage-stereo-repair/ describes their services. You can also call them at (916) 349-4302. Don’t expect quick turnaround, they work on first come, first served basis and they have several weeks work. There are other shops still in business that might be more convenient that you can find on the internet, perhaps using a search for vintage audio repair.

Dave Tysver

Sent: Thursday, December 10, 2020 9:27 PM

Best Regards,

Michael Hingson

Ryan

Hey all,

Best Regards,

Michael Hingson

David L. Gibbs

Welcome Mike.  I remember listening to and meeting you back at KUCI.  You may also remember Gary Freshour with whom we also connected.  I have never been able to locate Gary but am so glad to see you here.