Topics

JUST PLAIN BILL Unknown Episode

David Lee Smith

Well, all I need is to start another collection....

But, with my interest in Pulp magazines which, with fast paced stories, leads to Old Time Radio programs, I did some searching on eBay for radio disc and other items.

I saw some disc but left them alone, for now... some get a bit pricey.

I did, however, pick up some Reel-to-Reel tapes with radio programs. Most episodes are probable already known/found, but perhaps the sound quality is better on some shows.

The very first one I purchased had miscellaneous shows, but also two episodes of "Just Plain Bill."
One is already listed, 2/22/1949 (https://tinyurl.com/yczdvkzg and https://www.otrrlibrary.org/j.html).
The other has a date of 08/18/1949 with I do't see listed elsewhere, either the OTRR LIBRARY HOLDINGS or CDs or as mp3.

Now the reels were cheap enough so they won't break the bank, however I now have to purchase a Reel-to-Reel player which, I see, can be pricey. Also, then I'd have to figure out how to 'plug it into' the laptop to copy (I saw a YouTube video on that).

Along with "Bill" on the reel, which states "REEL 626 --- 6 hours" (!!!), are: KATE SMITH SPEAKS 8-28-46
KATE SMITH SPEAKS June 1947 (no day - DLS)
MAYOR OF THE TOWN 1946 (same - DLS)
KATE SMITH SPEAKS 8-7-47
KATE SMITH SPEAKS 8-11-47
LORENZO JONES 5-6-41 (NOT Listed, unless it's one of the undated)
LORENZO JONES 6-7-48 (at the library as "Claire Foster Is a Secret Agent")
the 2 "Bill" episodes
JUVENILE JURY 12-5-49 (Listed ??? - DLS)
KATE SMITH SPEAKS 8-14-47
KATE SMITH SPEAKS 8-28-47
FIBBER MCGEE and MOLLY 10-14-41 Fire Commissioner
FIBBER MCGEE and MOLLY 10-21-41 Old love letters
HELEN HAYES THEATRE 1941 Let the Hurricane Roar (scarce - DLS)
FIBBER MCGEE and MOLLY 12-16-41 Fibber trimmed down Christmas Tree
FIBBER MCGEE and MOLLY 12-23-41 Johnson Company gives door chimes to the McGees

ENJOY THE OTR SHOWS - David Lee Smith
Inline image

Larry Maupin

David, I just read your post, and your reference to the August 18, 1949 episode of Just Plain Bill caught my eye.  Sometimes I have run across lightly circulated or even uncirculating  episodes of various OTR programs and it is always a pleasant surprise when that happens.  Once I purchased a boxed set of cassettes that contained what I think is still the only full episode of The Story of Mary Marlin in existence.

The OTRR Library would probably like to add your episode of Just Plain Bill to its collection.  I have five episodes of various programs that are not in the library, and hope soon to have them digitized so that I can send them to Paul Kornman or Paul Tierney for uploading. Perhaps you would like to do the same.  Yours might already be digitized.

Just a thought.  Have a good weekend.

Larrry Maupin