Topics

Listener Needed

Ryan Ellett
 

We received a donation earlier this fall of about 40 episodes of various soap operas that did not appear to the owner to be in circulation or copies that he believed to be in better sound. I finished encoding them from cassette about a week ago and would like to find a volunteer who would be interested in going through and a)checking each episode against what we have in our library and/or b)checking the sound quality against that of any existing episodes that might be in the library. Once this is done I plan to make them available to the group. Any soap fans?
Ryan

Damon Fries
 

I’m up for it, are there flac versions? I need a good project this week ... 

Sent via mobile phone

On 10 Dec 2019, at 02:48, Ryan Ellett via Groups.Io <oldradiotimes@...> wrote:

We received a donation earlier this fall of about 40 episodes of various soap operas that did not appear to the owner to be in circulation or copies that he believed to be in better sound. I finished encoding them from cassette about a week ago and would like to find a volunteer who would be interested in going through and a)checking each episode against what we have in our library and/or b)checking the sound quality against that of any existing episodes that might be in the library. Once this is done I plan to make them available to the group. Any soap fans?
Ryan

Kevin Karweck
 

Which soaps? I'm listening to the Young Widder Brown episodes now. 

Kevin

Air

On Dec 10, 2019, at 12:55 AM, Damon Fries <dbfries@...> wrote:

I’m up for it, are there flac versions? I need a good project this week ... 

Sent via mobile phone

On 10 Dec 2019, at 02:48, Ryan Ellett via Groups.Io <oldradiotimes@...> wrote:

We received a donation earlier this fall of about 40 episodes of various soap operas that did not appear to the owner to be in circulation or copies that he believed to be in better sound. I finished encoding them from cassette about a week ago and would like to find a volunteer who would be interested in going through and a)checking each episode against what we have in our library and/or b)checking the sound quality against that of any existing episodes that might be in the library. Once this is done I plan to make them available to the group. Any soap fans?
Ryan

Scott Galley
 

If it's Backstage Wife, I'm in.

John
 

Ryan, I am available to do whatever you need.  Love to help out wherever I can.

John Enrietto

Ryan Ellett
 

Thanks to those who have volunteered! Damon took first crack at them and discovered some digital artifacts from the encoding process that I hadn't noticed. He's working on getting that cleaned up, then I'll see if he wants some listening help. Stay tuned.
Ryan

Damon Fries
 

I’ve been going through the shows, investigating discrepancies in airdates and filenames, fixing a few sound issues - I’m happy to say that almost all the shows are not in the library and those that are will be significant upgrades. Quite a few are not even in the Goldin list, so it’s a very nice collection with lots of interesting, rare orphaned episodes.   It’s 60+ shows and I’m over half-way through and expect to be finished this week.  I think soap fans (and possibly even non-soap fans!) will enjoy these (there are a few non-soap 15-minute shows included too).

On 14 Dec 2019, at 15:40, Ryan Ellett via Groups.Io <oldradiotimes@...> wrote:

Thanks to those who have volunteered! Damon took first crack at them and discovered some digital artifacts from the encoding process that I hadn't noticed. He's working on getting that cleaned up, then I'll see if he wants some listening help. Stay tuned.
Ryan

Ryan Ellett
 

Thanks, Damon, for your hard work on this. The donor felt the OTRR would be the best place to send these shows, not only to preserve them but to make sure they became available to the wider public. We'll certainly get them added to the library but when Damon's done with his work I may try to make an Archive.org posting for them so it will be easier to download them all in one spot, rather than going to 30 different series on our library and having to grab one or two episodes at a time. We'll keep you all posted.
Ryan