Man Into Space 1961-06-11

Buddy Lortie

I'm looking for this show, which was syndicated across Metropolitan Broadcasting.

It looks like it was also released on LP but that doesn't help me much :(

Anyone know of a source?

Thanks in advance

Art Lortie

pygar two

"Men into Space", I got. "First Man in Space", I can get. But, dadgummit, you've got me stumped! Sorry!

Richard Davenport

My notes on the series only have it showing 38 shows.  Your date is not one of them.

Title Air date
1"Moon Probe"September 30, 1959
2"Moon Landing"October 7, 1959
3"Building a Space Station"October 21, 1959
4"Water Tank Rescue"October 28, 1959
5"Lost Missile"November 4, 1959
6"Moonquake"November 11, 1959
7"Space Trap"November 18, 1959
8"Asteroid"November 25, 1959
9"Edge of Eternity"December 2,  1959
10"Burnout"December 9, 1959
11"First Woman on the Moon"December 16, 1959
12"Christmas on the Moon"December 23, 1959
13"Quarantine"December 30, 1959
14"Tankers in Space"January 6, 1960
15"Sea of Stars"January 13, 1960
16"A Handful of Hours"January 20, 1960
17"Earthbound"January 27, 1960
18"Caves of the Moon"February 3, 1960
19"Dateline: Moon"February 10, 1960
20"Moon Cloud"February 17, 1960
21"Contraband"March 2, 1960
22"Dark of the Sun"March 9, 1960
23"Verdict in Orbit"March 16, 1960
24"Is There Another Civilization?"March 23, 1960
25"Shadows on the Moon"March 30, 1960
26"Flash in the Sky"April 6, 1960
27"Lunar Secret"April 13, 1960
28"Voice of Infinity"April 20, 1960
29"From Another World"April 27, 1960
30"Emergency Mission"May 4, 1960
31"Beyond the Stars"May 11, 1960
32"Mission to Mars"May 25, 1960
33"Moon Trap"June 1, 1960
34""Flare Up"August 17, 1960
35"Into the Sun"August 24, 1960
36"The Sun Never Sets"August 31, 1960
37"Mystery Satellite"September 7, 1960
38"Flight to the Red Planet"September 14, 1960

Labor ipse voluptas

On Friday, May 7, 2021, 8:21:03 PM CDT, pygar two via groups.io <pygar2@...> wrote:

"Men into Space", I got. "First Man in Space", I can get. But, dadgummit, you've got me stumped! Sorry!

Buddy Lortie

Hmmm .... my discovery of that LP may have conflated two series.

The special I'm looking for is referred to in the attached (and elsewhere). Hosted by Martin Caiden, it was about Alan Shepard's suborbital flight and tied in to his same-titled book.

On the other hand, your series also looks VERY interesting :)

Art Lortie

[...]

Scott Mahan

Yes, “Men Into Space” was a television show with William Lundigan, a fairly famous fellow. A good show too, although overly optimistic about the technology of the times. Filmed for syndication by Ziv in 1959 it envisioned Elon-Musk-Starship-like technology being online in the 60’s. Except for the fact that we had absolutely no capability to do it, it was a pretty realistic depiction of what it would have been like. (Other than the continual sound-in-a-vacuum sound effects. Have to laugh at those.) I have a complete set on DVD. I was working on re-watching them when COVID-19 broke out and got distracted and I had forgotten all about it. Thanks for the reminder … I’ll get back to that.

The item in question here is an LP record. It’s not even a transcription disc. It didn’t sell super-well (space stuff never did, I have some cool Apollo 11 stuff I got on sale when they were trying to get rid of it. J) so there aren’t just a lot of surviving copies available but it is more common than … well … a transcription disc. So you can always get one on Amazon or eBay but it will probably be pricey. But let me look.

Actually, here is one on eBay for only $39.99

MARTIN CAIDIN man into space LP VG+ METROPOLITAN Broadcasting 1961 Record | eBay

I have got it on “Buy It Now” which turned into $52.49. I can live with that, as I have never actually seen this particular one for under $100. Also, it gives me a chance to try out my .mp3 making turntable, which I’ve had for years and never had any actual reason to use because everything was on .mp3 already. I’ll go look for the manual in the manual file. The front panel buttons are mysterious. And, I know, I know, everyone wants files on .flac now (general foolishness) but I’ll figure out how to do that later. I’ll practice on Firesign Theatre albums or something fun like that while I wait for “Man Into Space” to arrive, then rip it and post it back here. eBay says it should come in about a week.

[...]

FIRESIGN THEATER?!?!?!!! YESSSSS!!!!

Richard Davenport

Of course now that I know the show exists, I want to get some of them. If anybody’s willing to share the video and audio files with me I’d love to add him to my library.

Rick

On May 8, 2021, at 2:18 PM, pygar two via groups.io <pygar2@...> wrote:

FIRESIGN THEATER?!?!?!!! YESSSSS!!!!

Scott Mahan

If you mean “Men Into Space”, just go buy a copy, it’s easier. You can get one for $20 or so from multiple outlets. It’s not actually public domain but Ziv gave up on it long ago. At 50¢/episode you really can’t beat having a hard copy.

As to the Firesign Theater, while they haven’t performed since Peter Bergman died in 2012, their albums are still for sale so one would think we should respect their copyright. I hope they are still making money. Probably not, but one can hope.

Of course now that I know the show exists, I want to get some of them. If anybody’s willing to share the video and audio files with me I’d love to add him to my library.

Rick

On May 8, 2021, at 2:18 PM, pygar two via groups.io <pygar2@...> wrote:

FIRESIGN THEATER?!?!?!!! YESSSSS!!!!

Richard Davenport

To clarify, I understand that there is a variant as a TV show, but what I wanted to find is the OTR version.  I bought the dvd of the tv show but did not find anything of the radio show.