Topics

Mr. Cameleon

Scott Mahan

I have some more, which I could also upload.

Mr Chameleon 490112 Dance Of Death.mp3

Mr Chameleon 490921 Hanging Judge.mp3

Mr Chameleon 490928 Friendly Divorce.mp3

Mr Chameleon 491221 Perfect Maid Murder Case.mp3

Mr Chameleon 51XXXX Dream House Murder Case.mp3 (This may actually be Green House Murder. Have to re-listen.)

And I definitely want you to upload

Mister Chameleon - 0024 - 48-12-29 - Case Of Death And The Talking Parrot

Just so I can have it. J

From: main@OldTimeRadioResearchers.groups.io <main@OldTimeRadioResearchers.groups.io> On Behalf Of Richard Davenport
Sent: Tuesday, March 2, 2021 2:06 AM
To: main@OldTimeRadioResearchers.groups.io
Subject: Re: [OldTimeRadioResearchers] New Amos 'n' Andy Programs

there is no listing for Mr. Cameleon on the otrr site.  Shall I upload them?

Rick

Labor ipse voluptas

On Tuesday, March 2, 2021, 2:02:20 AM CST, Richard Davenport <klingon1@...> wrote:

I have 2 eps of the Mr Cameleon show. 

Mister Chameleon - 0000 - 53-04-24 - Murder And The Million Dollar Smile

Exciting news about the new AnA shows.  They are truly rare.  Has anyone thought about setting up a GoFundMe page for this group?

Rick

Labor ipse voluptas

On Tuesday, March 2, 2021, 1:56:54 AM CST, Walden Hughes <waldenhughes@...> wrote:

I donated,

Walden

From: main@OldTimeRadioResearchers.groups.io [mailto:main@OldTimeRadioResearchers.groups.io] On Behalf Of Richard Davenport
Sent: Monday, March 1, 2021 11:54 PM

If we now have distribution rights then we can sell these online for $5 each and easily make our $1000 back I would think.

Rick

Labor ipse voluptas

On Monday, March 1, 2021, 9:10:12 PM CST, Alan Kline <alan@...> wrote:

Sent mine! Looking forward to hearing these shows!

Alan

On Mar 1, 2021, at 8:41 PM, Ryan Ellett via groups.io <oldradiotimes@...> wrote:

Shared by Martin Grams on our Facebook page:

BREAKING NEWS!

Three consecutive, long-lost Amos 'n' Andy serial programs can now be heard for the first time in 92 years!

These programs are the rarest of the rare: the first series ever to be distributed to radio stations by electrical transcription. The discs were pressed in very small quantities, and were either destroyed after one playing, or returned to Gosden and Correll (after which they were likely destroyed). Some single copies, thankfully, escaped that fate.

Every once in a great while, we have the opportunity to get a few more of these historically and culturally important shows into the hands and ears of collectors.

Here's what has been discovered:

Amos 'n' Andy program #309 - for broadcast, March 21, 1929

Amos 'n' Andy program #310 - for broadcast, March 22, 1929

Amos 'n' Andy program #311 - for broadcast, March 23, 1929

These programs were broadcast five months before Amos 'n' Andy began their long run on NBC.

But these rare discs did not come cheap. Together, they cost just about $1,000 at a recent auction. To help cover that cost, interested collectors can pledge $20 for high quality .wav files of these shows. And you'll get much more than these three programs.

What else will be included for your $20 pledge:

- Ten PDF copies of Amos 'n' Andy scripts covering the shows around the new discoveries. These scripts have recently been scanned from microfilm copies held by the Library of Congress.

- Two previously uncirculated copies of CECIL AND SALLY, another very early show that was syndicated on discs. They'll come to you in high resolution .wav file copies.

- One "lost" episode of MR. CHAMELEON not available anywhere else.

A note on the sound quality of the Amos 'n' Andy programs: don't expect high fidelity. These discs, while in very good shape, are a bit noisy. In fact, every AnA "chainless chain" disc pressed by Marsh and offered before, is similarly noisy. It's probably one of the reasons why Gosden and Correll switched to Brunswick to record and press their episodes, before finally moving to live broadcasts over NBC. Sammy Jones will use the finest playback equipment at his disposal to get the sound out of the grooves, but the audio files won't be subjected to excessive noise reduction.

And finally, a disclaimer: as mentioned above, the cost to acquire these three programs wasn't cheap. It broke down to more than $300 per show, paid by one collector. If a similar amount can't be raised to offset much of that amount, all pledged money will be returned, and these discs will sit on the shelf for another time. We need to sell 50 of these to help defer the costs. (If we do reach the goal, we will also toss an extra CD of "lost" radio shows on top of what we described above.)

To reserve your .wav files of three lost 1929 broadcasts of Amos 'n' Andy, send $20 via PayPal to m.grams@.... Please use the friends and family option, so there are no extra fees. If we meet the fundraising goal, people who pledge will receive a link to download the audio files and PDF scripts.

B. J. Watkins

Yes, PLEASE upload your Mr Chameleons! I have been waiting for years to hear more of these, one of my favorite shows as a kid.

Barbara

From: main@OldTimeRadioResearchers.groups.io <main@OldTimeRadioResearchers.groups.io> on behalf of Scott Mahan <scott@...>
Sent: Tuesday, March 2, 2021 5:19 AM
To: main@OldTimeRadioResearchers.groups.io <main@OldTimeRadioResearchers.groups.io>
Subject: [OldTimeRadioResearchers] Mr. Cameleon

Mr Chameleon 51XXXX Dream House Murder Case.mp3 (This may actually be Green House Murder. Have to re-listen.)

Just so I can have it. J

From: main@OldTimeRadioResearchers.groups.io <main@OldTimeRadioResearchers.groups.io> On Behalf Of Richard Davenport

Rick

Labor ipse voluptas

On Tuesday, March 2, 2021, 2:02:20 AM CST, Richard Davenport <klingon1@...> wrote:

Exciting news about the new AnA shows.  They are truly rare.  Has anyone thought about setting up a GoFundMe page for this group?

Rick

Labor ipse voluptas

On Tuesday, March 2, 2021, 1:56:54 AM CST, Walden Hughes <waldenhughes@...> wrote:

I donated,

Walden

From: main@OldTimeRadioResearchers.groups.io [mailto:main@OldTimeRadioResearchers.groups.io] On Behalf Of Richard Davenport

If we now have distribution rights then we can sell these online for $5 each and easily make our $1000 back I would think.

Rick

Labor ipse voluptas

Alan

On Mar 1, 2021, at 8:41 PM, Ryan Ellett via groups.io <oldradiotimes@...> wrote:

BREAKING NEWS!

Three consecutive, long-lost Amos 'n' Andy serial programs can now be heard for the first time in 92 years!

These programs are the rarest of the rare: the first series ever to be distributed to radio stations by electrical transcription. The discs were pressed in very small quantities, and were either destroyed after one playing, or returned to Gosden and Correll (after which they were likely destroyed). Some single copies, thankfully, escaped that fate.

Every once in a great while, we have the opportunity to get a few more of these historically and culturally important shows into the hands and ears of collectors.

These programs were broadcast five months before Amos 'n' Andy began their long run on NBC.

But these rare discs did not come cheap. Together, they cost just about $1,000 at a recent auction. To help cover that cost, interested collectors can pledge $20 for high quality .wav files of these shows. And you'll get much more than these three programs.

- Ten PDF copies of Amos 'n' Andy scripts covering the shows around the new discoveries. These scripts have recently been scanned from microfilm copies held by the Library of Congress.

- Two previously uncirculated copies of CECIL AND SALLY, another very early show that was syndicated on discs. They'll come to you in high resolution .wav file copies.

A note on the sound quality of the Amos 'n' Andy programs: don't expect high fidelity. These discs, while in very good shape, are a bit noisy. In fact, every AnA "chainless chain" disc pressed by Marsh and offered before, is similarly noisy. It's probably one of the reasons why Gosden and Correll switched to Brunswick to record and press their episodes, before finally moving to live broadcasts over NBC. Sammy Jones will use the finest playback equipment at his disposal to get the sound out of the grooves, but the audio files won't be subjected to excessive noise reduction.

And finally, a disclaimer: as mentioned above, the cost to acquire these three programs wasn't cheap. It broke down to more than $300 per show, paid by one collector. If a similar amount can't be raised to offset much of that amount, all pledged money will be returned, and these discs will sit on the shelf for another time. We need to sell 50 of these to help defer the costs. (If we do reach the goal, we will also toss an extra CD of "lost" radio shows on top of what we described above.)

To reserve your .wav files of three lost 1929 broadcasts of Amos 'n' Andy, send $20 via PayPal to m.grams@.... Please use the friends and family option, so there are no extra fees. If we meet the fundraising goal, people who pledge will receive a link to download the audio files and PDF scripts.

Ryan Ellett

Scott and Richard, make sure you're checking the updated library site:

If you don't see them, send them to Paul Kornman. I see only two: Perfect Maid Murder Case and the Case of Murder and the Million Dollar Smile.
Ryan

www.RyanEllett.com

The Old Time Radio Researchers
"Saving the Past for the Future"

www.OTRR.org
www.OTRRLibrary.org

On Tuesday, March 2, 2021, 07:19:59 AM CST, Scott Mahan <scott@...> wrote:

Just so I can have it. J

Rick

Labor ipse voluptas

Rick

Labor ipse voluptas

I donated,

Walden

Rick

Labor ipse voluptas

Alan

BREAKING NEWS!

Richard Davenport

This is why I love this group.  I’m going to go from having 2 eps of a very obscure show to quite a few.

On Mar 2, 2021, at 8:07 AM, Ryan Ellett via groups.io <oldradiotimes@...> wrote:

If you don't see them, send them to Paul Kornman. I see only two: Perfect Maid Murder Case and the Case of Murder and the Million Dollar Smile.
Ryan

www.RyanEllett.com

www.OTRR.org
www.OTRRLibrary.org

Just so I can have it. J

Rick

Labor ipse voluptas

Rick

Labor ipse voluptas

I donated,

Walden

Rick

Labor ipse voluptas

Alan

BREAKING NEWS!

Richard Davenport

I finally found it on the site.  It was not coming up under mr or mister but did using chameleon.  I have one additional one not on the site.

Talking Parrot at 64br
Maid Murder at 32br
Million Dollar Smile at 32br

rick

Labor ipse voluptas

On Tuesday, March 2, 2021, 12:39:22 PM CST, Richard Davenport <klingon1@...> wrote:

This is why I love this group.  I’m going to go from having 2 eps of a very obscure show to quite a few.

On Mar 2, 2021, at 8:07 AM, Ryan Ellett via groups.io <oldradiotimes@...> wrote:

Ryan

www.RyanEllett.com

www.OTRR.org
www.OTRRLibrary.org

Just so I can have it. J

Rick

Labor ipse voluptas

Rick

Labor ipse voluptas

I donated,

Walden

Rick

Labor ipse voluptas

Alan

BREAKING NEWS!

Ryan Ellett

I had to search for them as well; I did not see a link specifically for Mr. Chameleon. I'm not sure where they're located in the library.
Ryan

www.RyanEllett.com

www.OTRR.org
www.OTRRLibrary.org

On Tuesday, March 2, 2021, 12:51:14 PM CST, Richard Davenport <klingon1@...> wrote:

I finally found it on the site.  It was not coming up under mr or mister but did using chameleon.  I have one additional one not on the site.

Talking Parrot at 64br
Maid Murder at 32br

rick

Labor ipse voluptas

On Tuesday, March 2, 2021, 12:39:22 PM CST, Richard Davenport <klingon1@...> wrote:

Ryan

www.RyanEllett.com

www.OTRR.org
www.OTRRLibrary.org

Just so I can have it. J

Rick

Labor ipse voluptas

Rick

Labor ipse voluptas

I donated,

Walden

Rick

Labor ipse voluptas

Alan

BREAKING NEWS!

B. J. Watkins

I still see only two. Can someone post a link here?

From: main@OldTimeRadioResearchers.groups.io <main@OldTimeRadioResearchers.groups.io> on behalf of Ryan Ellett via groups.io <oldradiotimes@...>
Sent: Tuesday, March 2, 2021 12:13 PM
To: main@OldTimeRadioResearchers.groups.io <main@OldTimeRadioResearchers.groups.io>
Subject: Re: [OldTimeRadioResearchers] Mr. Cameleon

I had to search for them as well; I did not see a link specifically for Mr. Chameleon. I'm not sure where they're located in the library.
Ryan

www.RyanEllett.com

www.OTRR.org
www.OTRRLibrary.org

On Tuesday, March 2, 2021, 12:51:14 PM CST, Richard Davenport <klingon1@...> wrote:

Talking Parrot at 64br
Maid Murder at 32br

rick

Labor ipse voluptas

Ryan

www.RyanEllett.com

www.OTRR.org
www.OTRRLibrary.org

Just so I can have it. J

Rick

Labor ipse voluptas

Rick

Labor ipse voluptas

I donated,

Walden

Rick

Labor ipse voluptas

Alan

BREAKING NEWS!

Jim Wood

I only found 2 as well

Jim

From: main@OldTimeRadioResearchers.groups.io <main@OldTimeRadioResearchers.groups.io> On Behalf Of B. J. Watkins
Sent: Tuesday, March 2, 2021 3:17 PM

From: main@OldTimeRadioResearchers.groups.io <main@OldTimeRadioResearchers.groups.io> on behalf of Ryan Ellett via groups.io <oldradiotimes@...>

Ryan

Talking Parrot at 64br

Maid Murder at 32br

rick

Labor ipse voluptas

Old Time Radio Researchers

Ryan

Just so I can have it. J

Rick

Labor ipse voluptas

Rick

Labor ipse voluptas

I donated,

Walden

Rick

Labor ipse voluptas

Alan

BREAKING NEWS!

Scott Mahan

From: main@OldTimeRadioResearchers.groups.io <main@OldTimeRadioResearchers.groups.io> On Behalf Of B. J. Watkins
Sent: Tuesday, March 2, 2021 7:38 AM

Yes, PLEASE upload your Mr Chameleons! I have been waiting for years to hear more of these, one of my favorite shows as a kid.

Barbara

From: main@OldTimeRadioResearchers.groups.io <main@OldTimeRadioResearchers.groups.io> on behalf of Scott Mahan <scott@...>

Just so I can have it. J

Rick

Labor ipse voluptas

Rick

Labor ipse voluptas

I donated,

Walden

Rick

Labor ipse voluptas

Alan

BREAKING NEWS!

B. J. Watkins

Thank you, Scott! The Dream House Murder Case is announced as The Locked Room Murder Case. Wonderful to hear NEW episodes!

Sent: Tuesday, March 2, 2021 1:29 PM

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/s6v0y4z8w8g1tkg/AACW2wADI9zXpv3ClI8XhSxfa?dl=0

Barbara

Just so I can have it. J

Rick

Labor ipse voluptas

Rick

Labor ipse voluptas

I donated,

Walden

Rick

Labor ipse voluptas

Alan

BREAKING NEWS!

ehrbek

Thank you

-----------------------------------------

Cc:
Sent: Tuesday March 2 2021 4:30:03PM

Barbara

Just so I can have it. J

Rick

Labor ipse voluptas

Rick

Labor ipse voluptas

I donated,

Walden

Rick

Labor ipse voluptas

Alan

BREAKING NEWS!

peterjaybird@...

Thanks for Mr. Chameleon!

Some of these appear to be mislabeled.  The titles in brackets are from the audio.

Mr Chameleon 481229 Death And The Talking Parrot {The Perfect Maid Murder Case} **
Mr Chameleon 490112 Dance Of Death {The Case of the Dance of Death}
Mr Chameleon 490921 Hanging Judge {The Hanging Judge Murder Case}
Mr Chameleon 490928 Friendly Divorce {The Friendly Divorce Murder Case}
Mr Chameleon 491221 Perfect Maid Murder {The Perfect Maid Murder Case}
Mr Chameleon 510117 Dream House Murder Case {The Locked Room Murder Case}
Mr Chameleon 530424 Murder and the Million Dollar Smile {The Case of Murder and the Million Dollar Smile}

**Not the same as Mr Chameleon 491221 Perfect Maid Murder {The Perfect Maid Murder Case}.

Cheers,

Pete

On Tuesday, March 2, 2021, 05:47:34 PM EST, ehrbek <ehrbek@...> wrote:

Thank you

Cc:

Barbara

Just so I can have it. J

Rick

Labor ipse voluptas

Rick

Labor ipse voluptas

I donated,

Walden

Rick

Labor ipse voluptas

Alan

BREAKING NEWS!

Paul Kornman

I added the new files to the OTRR Library

https://www.otrr.org/OTRRLibrary/otrrlibrary.html

Thanks,

Paul

Scott Mahan

I got the titles switched on Dream House vs. Locked Room. And I failed to upload the real Dream House.

I’ll fix that when I get home from work today.

Thanks for pointing it out.

Talking Parrot is Richard’s:

Renamed to match the rest of my files. I haven’t listened to it yet but I’ll take your word for it.

Strange to have two different episodes with the same name.

I’ll have to listen tonight.

From: main@OldTimeRadioResearchers.groups.io <main@OldTimeRadioResearchers.groups.io> On Behalf Of peterjaybird via groups.io
Sent: Tuesday, March 2, 2021 8:51 PM
To: 'main@OldTimeRadioResearchers.groups.io' <main@oldtimeradioresearchers.groups.io>; main@OldTimeRadioResearchers.groups.io

Some of these appear to be mislabeled.  The titles in brackets are from the audio.

Mr Chameleon 481229 Death And The Talking Parrot {The Perfect Maid Murder Case} **

Mr Chameleon 530424 Murder and the Million Dollar Smile {The Case of Murder and the Million Dollar Smile}

**Not the same as Mr Chameleon 491221 Perfect Maid Murder {The Perfect Maid Murder Case}.

Cheers,

Pete

Thank you

Cc:

Barbara

Just so I can have it. J

Rick

Labor ipse voluptas

Rick

Labor ipse voluptas

I donated,

Walden

Rick

Labor ipse voluptas

Alan

BREAKING NEWS!

Joe Webb

The Hehn collection has a very nice "Perfect Maid Murder Case" and some background on the series
https://archive.org/details/mr-chameleon

--

Gordon Johansen

Thanks for pointing that out Joe.

I had never heard this show before. Fascinating discussion certainly made me interested in hearing it.

Gord

Joe Webb via groups.io wrote on 3/03/21 9:21 AM:

The Hehn collection has a very nice "Perfect Maid Murder Case" and some background on the series
https://archive.org/details/mr-chameleon

--

--
Sent from Postbox

Scott Mahan

OK. Fixed. I think I see the source of confusion.

If you go search for it there are multiple places you can find “Dream House Murder” and those that list a date say 1/17/51. You won’t find “Locked Room Murder” for download anywhere but … Jerry Haendiges’ episodic log lists it as broadcast on … 1/17/51 while not listing any such episode as “Dream House”. I’m going to leave 510117 in both filenames for now and continue to research. Maybe I can find some logs in NewspaperArchive.com. It works sometimes.

Similarly, while my files don’t have tags, Richard’s does and it says “Title:The Perfect Maid Murder Case”. So again, Jerry’s log says that the episode of 12/29/48 was “Talking Parrot” and acknowledges only one “Perfect Maid” dated 12/21/49.

So, wherever these originally came from, their transcribers apparently consulted Jerry’s log, which was apparently confusing.

I have no clue if any of the dates are any good at this point. We’ll call them “notional” Like I said, I’ll continue to research. But after sampling, all the filenames do now match all the episode intros.

Mr Chameleon 481229 Perfect Maid Murder.mp3

Mr Chameleon 491221 Perfect Maid Murder.mp3

Mr Chameleon 510117 Dream House Murder.mp3

Mr Chameleon 510117 Locked Room Murder.mp3

Mr Chameleon 530424 Murder and the Million Dollar Smile.mp3

From: main@OldTimeRadioResearchers.groups.io <main@OldTimeRadioResearchers.groups.io> On Behalf Of Scott Mahan
Sent: Wednesday, March 3, 2021 7:13 AM

I got the titles switched on Dream House vs. Locked Room. And I failed to upload the real Dream House.

Renamed to match the rest of my files. I haven’t listened to it yet but I’ll take your word for it.

From: main@OldTimeRadioResearchers.groups.io <main@OldTimeRadioResearchers.groups.io> On Behalf Of peterjaybird via groups.io
To: 'main@OldTimeRadioResearchers.groups.io' <main@oldtimeradioresearchers.groups.io>; main@OldTimeRadioResearchers.groups.io

Cheers,

Pete

Thank you

Cc:

Barbara

Just so I can have it. J

Rick

Labor ipse voluptas

Rick

Labor ipse voluptas

I donated,

Walden

Rick

Labor ipse voluptas

Alan

BREAKING NEWS!

peterjaybird@...

I stated earlier that: 

Mr Chameleon 481229 Death And The Talking Parrot {The Perfect Maid Murder Case}
         was not the same as
Mr Chameleon 491221 Perfect Maid Murder {The Perfect Maid Murder Case}.

My mistake, sorry for that.  

Per the NYT radio logs, all dates are possible, though most don't specify the title, just show the programme scheduled for airing. JH's log dates match these shows and point to the correct title of Next Week's programme, Except for one, as Scott mentioned.

JH shows that "The Case of Murder and the Million Dollar Smile" aired on 52-06-19, while the RadioGold Index has it on 53-04-24.  The audio contains no adverts or information about next weeks show.

Pete

On Wednesday, March 3, 2021, 09:10:39 PM EST, Scott Mahan <scott@...> wrote:

OK. Fixed. I think I see the source of confusion.

If you go search for it there are multiple places you can find “Dream House Murder” and those that list a date say 1/17/51. You won’t find “Locked Room Murder” for download anywhere but … Jerry Haendiges’ episodic log lists it as broadcast on … 1/17/51 while not listing any such episode as “Dream House”. I’m going to leave 510117 in both filenames for now and continue to research. Maybe I can find some logs in NewspaperArchive.com. It works sometimes.

Similarly, while my files don’t have tags, Richard’s does and it says “Title:The Perfect Maid Murder Case”. So again, Jerry’s log says that the episode of 12/29/48 was “Talking Parrot” and acknowledges only one “Perfect Maid” dated 12/21/49.

So, wherever these originally came from, their transcribers apparently consulted Jerry’s log, which was apparently confusing.

I have no clue if any of the dates are any good at this point. We’ll call them “notional” Like I said, I’ll continue to research. But after sampling, all the filenames do now match all the episode intros.

Mr Chameleon 481229 Perfect Maid Murder.mp3

Mr Chameleon 491221 Perfect Maid Murder.mp3

Mr Chameleon 510117 Dream House Murder.mp3

Mr Chameleon 510117 Locked Room Murder.mp3

Mr Chameleon 530424 Murder and the Million Dollar Smile.mp3

From: main@OldTimeRadioResearchers.groups.io <main@OldTimeRadioResearchers.groups.io> On Behalf Of Scott Mahan
Sent: Wednesday, March 3, 2021 7:13 AM

Cheers,

Pete

Thank you

Cc:

Barbara

Just so I can have it. J

Rick

Labor ipse voluptas

Rick

Labor ipse voluptas

I donated,

Walden

Rick

Labor ipse voluptas

Alan

BREAKING NEWS!

mcoates

Question: Where do you send membership fee. I think it's jim@...

On 3/2/21 3:31 PM, Jim Wood wrote:

I only found 2 as well

Jim

Sent: Tuesday, March 2, 2021 3:17 PM

Ryan

Talking Parrot at 64br

Maid Murder at 32br

rick

Labor ipse voluptas

Old Time Radio Researchers

Ryan

Just so I can have it. J

Rick

Labor ipse voluptas

Rick

Labor ipse voluptas

I donated,

Walden

Rick

Labor ipse voluptas

Alan

BREAKING NEWS!