Topics

Mr. Cameleon

Scott Mahan

I have some more, which I could also upload.

Mr Chameleon 490112 Dance Of Death.mp3

Mr Chameleon 490921 Hanging Judge.mp3

Mr Chameleon 490928 Friendly Divorce.mp3

Mr Chameleon 491221 Perfect Maid Murder Case.mp3

Mr Chameleon 51XXXX Dream House Murder Case.mp3 (This may actually be Green House Murder. Have to re-listen.)

Mr Chameleon 490112 Dance Of Death.mp3

Mr Chameleon 490921 Hanging Judge.mp3

Mr Chameleon 490928 Friendly Divorce.mp3

And I definitely want you to upload

Mister Chameleon - 0024 - 48-12-29 - Case Of Death And The Talking Parrot

Just so I can have it. J

Amos 'n' Andy program #309 - for broadcast, March 21, 1929

Amos 'n' Andy program #310 - for broadcast, March 22, 1929

Amos 'n' Andy program #311 - for broadcast, March 23, 1929

These programs were broadcast five months before Amos 'n' Andy began their long run on NBC.

But these rare discs did not come cheap. Together, they cost just about $1,000 at a recent auction. To help cover that cost, interested collectors can pledge $20 for high quality .wav files of these shows. And you'll get much more than these three programs.

What else will be included for your $20 pledge:

- Ten PDF copies of Amos 'n' Andy scripts covering the shows around the new discoveries. These scripts have recently been scanned from microfilm copies held by the Library of Congress.

- Two previously uncirculated copies of CECIL AND SALLY, another very early show that was syndicated on discs. They'll come to you in high resolution .wav file copies.

- One "lost" episode of MR. CHAMELEON not available anywhere else.

A note on the sound quality of the Amos 'n' Andy programs: don't expect high fidelity. These discs, while in very good shape, are a bit noisy. In fact, every AnA "chainless chain" disc pressed by Marsh and offered before, is similarly noisy. It's probably one of the reasons why Gosden and Correll switched to Brunswick to record and press their episodes, before finally moving to live broadcasts over NBC. Sammy Jones will use the finest playback equipment at his disposal to get the sound out of the grooves, but the audio files won't be subjected to excessive noise reduction.

And finally, a disclaimer: as mentioned above, the cost to acquire these three programs wasn't cheap. It broke down to more than $300 per show, paid by one collector. If a similar amount can't be raised to offset much of that amount, all pledged money will be returned, and these discs will sit on the shelf for another time. We need to sell 50 of these to help defer the costs. (If we do reach the goal, we will also toss an extra CD of "lost" radio shows on top of what we described above.)

To reserve your .wav files of three lost 1929 broadcasts of Amos 'n' Andy, send $20 via PayPal to m.grams@.... Please use the friends and family option, so there are no extra fees. If we meet the fundraising goal, people who pledge will receive a link to download the audio files and PDF scripts.

B. J. Watkins

Yes, PLEASE upload your Mr Chameleons! I have been waiting for years to hear more of these, one of my favorite shows as a kid.

Barbara

Amos 'n' Andy program #309 - for broadcast, March 21, 1929

Amos 'n' Andy program #310 - for broadcast, March 22, 1929

Amos 'n' Andy program #311 - for broadcast, March 23, 1929

[...]

Ryan Ellett

Scott and Richard, make sure you're checking the updated library site:

If you don't see them, send them to Paul Kornman. I see only two: Perfect Maid Murder Case and the Case of Murder and the Million Dollar Smile.

Amos 'n' Andy program #309 - for broadcast, March 21, 1929

Amos 'n' Andy program #310 - for broadcast, March 22, 1929

Amos 'n' Andy program #311 - for broadcast, March 23, 1929

[...]

Richard Davenport

This is why I love this group.  I’m going to go from having 2 eps of a very obscure show to quite a few.

Amos 'n' Andy program #309 - for broadcast, March 21, 1929

Amos 'n' Andy program #310 - for broadcast, March 22, 1929

Amos 'n' Andy program #311 - for broadcast, March 23, 1929

[...]

I finally found it on the site.  It was not coming up under mr or mister but did using chameleon.  I have one additional one not on the site.

Talking Parrot at 64br
Maid Murder at 32br
Million Dollar Smile at 32br

rick

Labor ipse voluptas

Amos 'n' Andy program #309 - for broadcast, March 21, 1929

Amos 'n' Andy program #310 - for broadcast, March 22, 1929

Amos 'n' Andy program #311 - for broadcast, March 23, 1929

[...]

I had to search for them as well; I did not see a link specifically for Mr. Chameleon. I'm not sure where they're located in the library.

Amos 'n' Andy program #309 - for broadcast, March 21, 1929

Amos 'n' Andy program #310 - for broadcast, March 22, 1929

Amos 'n' Andy program #311 - for broadcast, March 23, 1929

[...]

I still see only two. Can someone post a link here?

Amos 'n' Andy program #309 - for broadcast, March 21, 1929

Amos 'n' Andy program #310 - for broadcast, March 22, 1929

Amos 'n' Andy program #311 - for broadcast, March 23, 1929

[...]

Jim Wood

I only found 2 as well

Jim

[...]

Old Time Radio Researchers

Amos 'n' Andy program #309 - for broadcast, March 21, 1929

Amos 'n' Andy program #310 - for broadcast, March 22, 1929

Amos 'n' Andy program #311 - for broadcast, March 23, 1929

[...]

Thank you, Scott! The Dream House Murder Case is announced as The Locked Room Murder Case. Wonderful to hear NEW episodes!

Amos 'n' Andy program #309 - for broadcast, March 21, 1929

Amos 'n' Andy program #310 - for broadcast, March 22, 1929

Amos 'n' Andy program #311 - for broadcast, March 23, 1929

[...]

peterjaybird@...

Thanks for Mr. Chameleon!

Some of these appear to be mislabeled.  The titles in brackets are from the audio.

Mr Chameleon 481229 Death And The Talking Parrot {The Perfect Maid Murder Case} **
Mr Chameleon 490112 Dance Of Death {The Case of the Dance of Death}
Mr Chameleon 490921 Hanging Judge {The Hanging Judge Murder Case}
Mr Chameleon 490928 Friendly Divorce {The Friendly Divorce Murder Case}
Mr Chameleon 491221 Perfect Maid Murder {The Perfect Maid Murder Case}
Mr Chameleon 510117 Dream House Murder Case {The Locked Room Murder Case}
Mr Chameleon 530424 Murder and the Million Dollar Smile {The Case of Murder and the Million Dollar Smile}

**Not the same as Mr Chameleon 491221 Perfect Maid Murder {The Perfect Maid Murder Case}.

Cheers,

Pete

Thank you

Amos 'n' Andy program #309 - for broadcast, March 21, 1929

Amos 'n' Andy program #310 - for broadcast, March 22, 1929

Amos 'n' Andy program #311 - for broadcast, March 23, 1929

[...]

Paul Kornman

I added the new files to the OTRR Library

https://www.otrr.org/OTRRLibrary/otrrlibrary.html

Thanks,

Paul

Scott Mahan

I got the titles switched on Dream House vs. Locked Room. And I failed to upload the real Dream House.

I’ll fix that when I get home from work today.

Thanks for pointing it out.

Talking Parrot is Richard’s:

Mister Chameleon - 0024 - 48-12-29 - Case Of Death And The Talking Parrot

Renamed to match the rest of my files. I haven’t listened to it yet but I’ll take your word for it.

Strange to have two different episodes with the same name.

I’ll have to listen tonight.

Amos 'n' Andy program #309 - for broadcast, March 21, 1929

Amos 'n' Andy program #310 - for broadcast, March 22, 1929

Amos 'n' Andy program #311 - for broadcast, March 23, 1929

[...]

Joe Webb

The Hehn collection has a very nice "Perfect Maid Murder Case" and some background on the series
https://archive.org/details/mr-chameleon

--

Gordon Johansen

Thanks for pointing that out Joe.

I had never heard this show before. Fascinating discussion certainly made me interested in hearing it.

Gord

Joe Webb via groups.io wrote on 3/03/21 9:21 AM:

The Hehn collection has a very nice "Perfect Maid Murder Case" and some background on the series
https://archive.org/details/mr-chameleon

Sent from Postbox

Scott Mahan

OK. Fixed. I think I see the source of confusion.

If you go search for it there are multiple places you can find “Dream House Murder” and those that list a date say 1/17/51. You won’t find “Locked Room Murder” for download anywhere but … Jerry Haendiges’ episodic log lists it as broadcast on … 1/17/51 while not listing any such episode as “Dream House”. I’m going to leave 510117 in both filenames for now and continue to research. Maybe I can find some logs in NewspaperArchive.com. It works sometimes.

Similarly, while my files don’t have tags, Richard’s does and it says “Title:The Perfect Maid Murder Case”. So again, Jerry’s log says that the episode of 12/29/48 was “Talking Parrot” and acknowledges only one “Perfect Maid” dated 12/21/49.

So, wherever these originally came from, their transcribers apparently consulted Jerry’s log, which was apparently confusing.

I have no clue if any of the dates are any good at this point. We’ll call them “notional” Like I said, I’ll continue to research. But after sampling, all the filenames do now match all the episode intros.

Mr Chameleon 481229 Perfect Maid Murder.mp3

Mr Chameleon 490112 Dance Of Death.mp3

Mr Chameleon 490921 Hanging Judge.mp3

Mr Chameleon 490928 Friendly Divorce.mp3

Mr Chameleon 491221 Perfect Maid Murder.mp3

Mr Chameleon 510117 Dream House Murder.mp3

Mr Chameleon 510117 Locked Room Murder.mp3

Mr Chameleon 530424 Murder and the Million Dollar Smile.mp3

Amos 'n' Andy program #309 - for broadcast, March 21, 1929

Amos 'n' Andy program #310 - for broadcast, March 22, 1929

Amos 'n' Andy program #311 - for broadcast, March 23, 1929

[...]

I stated earlier that:

Mr Chameleon 481229 Death And The Talking Parrot {The Perfect Maid Murder Case}
         was not the same as
Mr Chameleon 491221 Perfect Maid Murder {The Perfect Maid Murder Case}.

My mistake, sorry for that.

Per the NYT radio logs, all dates are possible, though most don't specify the title, just show the programme scheduled for airing. JH's log dates match these shows and point to the correct title of Next Week's programme, Except for one, as Scott mentioned.

JH shows that "The Case of Murder and the Million Dollar Smile" aired on 52-06-19, while the RadioGold Index has it on 53-04-24.  The audio contains no adverts or information about next weeks show.

Pete

Amos 'n' Andy program #309 - for broadcast, March 21, 1929

Amos 'n' Andy program #310 - for broadcast, March 22, 1929

Amos 'n' Andy program #311 - for broadcast, March 23, 1929

[...]

mcoates

Question: Where do you send membership fee. I think it's jim@...

On 3/2/21 3:31 PM, Jim Wood wrote:

I only found 2 as well