Topics

Mr. Keen, Tracer of Lost Persons or, Did Anyone Bother to Listen?

Scott Galley

Hey all;

We listened to the complete surviving run (at least as we know it) of "Mr. Keen, Tracer of Lost Persons" a number of months back. One of our favourite shows around here. But over the course of multiple Thursday nights (Mr. Keen night around here) we were very, very frustrated to find that certain episodes were unlistenable. This, from the OTTR Certified Set, Version 4.1. In each instance, the volume starts to drop off, and then disappears completely making for unbelievable aggravating 'listening'. The sound quality of the episodes themselves seem fine, so it strikes me that it was an encoding issue.

All that preamble to ask: (1) Are there better copies out there and (2) can the set be updated so that it looks like we actually listened to it before it went out to the general public?

The episodes in question are (this is after many months, so if I get it wrong, forgive me):
1950-04-13 - The Eccentric Millionaire Murder Case
1952-04-23 - The Mother's Plea Murder Case (AFRS) (Not positive about this one — I made no note)
1950-04-27 - The Case of the Woman Who Married a Murderer
1950-05-04 - The King Cobra Murder Case
1950-05-25 - The Broken Window Murder Case

Any help would be appreciated. It's mean 5 more weeks of the kindly old investigator around here.

Scott

Scott Galley

"Around here". Used three times. Idiot. Ugh.

Scott

bob_pedersen@...

Here’s a pretty good copy of “The Eccentric Millionaire Murder Case.”

Bob Pedersen

[...]

Coincidentally, Scott, I have an updated set on my laptop waiting for a listen. These came from Dr. Joe Webb. Would you be interested in doing the proof listening for them?

On Thursday, October 8, 2020, 09:40:06 AM CDT, Scott Galley via groups.io <scottgalley@...> wrote:

[...]

Richard Davenport

I have quite a few MKTOLP show in my library.  I am in the middle of cleaning their file names up and ditching dupes but will be glad to share what I have when it's finished...

On Thursday, October 8, 2020, 10:50:39 AM CDT, Ryan Ellett via groups.io <oldradiotimes@...> wrote:

[...]

Hi Ryan.

I would. My wife's not Keen (!) on re-listening to shows, but I can do a bunch, particularly those I mentioned and any titles that may not exist in the Certified Set. But I'm willing to take on a dozen or so.

(Funny, rereading my initial post, I thought I came off sounding rather snarky. Not my intention, I assure you all.)

Scott Galley

Oh, and thank you Bob, for the share!

Patrick Andre

Hi Ryan,

I would be happy to share the listening tasks.  I am not up to date on Mr. Keen as I am with many others.  So this would be good for me.

Patrick

Ryan Ellett

Okay, Patrick, I will get some eps to you as well. This project is open to any listeners, but I realize Mr. Keen is not a top-ten show for most OTR fans (including myself!). It looks like we have 63 episodes, so it won't take too long if we can get 4 or 5 listeners.

On Friday, October 9, 2020, 09:33:07 AM CDT, Patrick Andre <pat@...> wrote:

Hi Ryan,

I would be happy to share the listening tasks.  I am not up to date on Mr. Keen as I am with many others.  So this would be good for me.

Patrick

pygar two

I once heard a blooper. NPR was running Mr. Keene, and the announcer introduced "Mr. Keen, Loser of Traced Persons"! LMK if you run across that!

K & J Hammel

If I'm not too late, I can take a few of the Mr. Keen episodes as well.

Kathy

On Friday, October 9, 2020, 07:40:38 AM PDT, Ryan Ellett via groups.io <oldradiotimes@...> wrote:

Okay, Patrick, I will get some eps to you as well. This project is open to any listeners, but I realize Mr. Keen is not a top-ten show for most OTR fans (including myself!). It looks like we have 63 episodes, so it won't take too long if we can get 4 or 5 listeners.

On Friday, October 9, 2020, 09:33:07 AM CDT, Patrick Andre <pat@...> wrote:

Hi Ryan,

I would be happy to share the listening tasks.  I am not up to date on Mr. Keen as I am with many others.  So this would be good for me.

Patrick

ehrbek

Ryan
I'll take some