Topics

Need Volunteers with reel to reel decks for a potential large reel purchase

David Oxford

Old Time Radio Researchers

I need to see if there is any interest in attempting to purchase abot 3700 reels from Radioarchives. I've been in contact with the Purchasing Group but very few members have a functioning reel to reel deck. I'm now asking the main group for volunteers. I need members will reel to reel decks that are interested in digializing reels of interest from this collection.

The reels have been stored at Radio Archives since being purchased in 2006. I’m assured the reels are in good shape and are of high quality. There are about 3700 with an asking price of $3700. The reels that can be shipped in about 100 boxes of 37 reels for about $17/box. The cost of media mail is therefore $1700. The total is $5400. I can probably get a little discount by offering to pay off the reels  rather than pay them off over 2 years.

Here’s an email I received asking for more information on the reels:

Hi David,
I bought the collection from Radio Showcase in 2005 or 2006. Steve Keletz was an old time dealer and traded with all the top dealers to assemble this collection during the 1980s and 1990s.I was not given an inventory of the main collection. There is a sub collection which is referred to as the Stan Falk collection. I’m not sure how Steve acquired this part of the collection but it is the gem of the collection. Stan was one of the California collectors who did his own transfers from transcription discs in the 1960s and 1970s. This collection is catalogued in a 3 ring binder and will be sent to the buyer of the reels. [Estimated 300 reels]

Radioarchives address is 1402 S Kahuna Dr, Spokane Valley, WA 99212-3258

I would like someone who could pick up the reels and be the manager of their ultimate disbursement. If no one is available to pick them up, they can be sent media mail for about $17 a box of 37. I don’t have room for 100 boxes of reels in my house. I won’t and can’t digitalize 3700 tapes. If you could take a portion of the reels let me know. Perhaps you could take 5 boxes or 10 boxes. Perhaps 20 of us can take reels and disburse them.

The main problem I see are these reels will duplicate many already existing files and may not be an upgrade. Separating the wheat from the chaff with be the problem. The hope is to find some upgrades and some "lost" recordings.

If you can only store reels, you’d be requested to mail some reels to a collaborator with a reel to reel deck. (Surely someone can help!) You’d be reimbursed media mail for sending. You should have a cool, dry space, preferably air-conditioned
 to store the reels.
Whoever ends up with the reels may own them.

Please post general questions or comments to the group.

If you can pick up the reels, store and/or mail to others, or have a functioning reel to reel deck please email me directly. I need to make a decision about purchasing the reels. I've procrastinated long enough.

If there aren't enough volunteers I'll have to stop my attempts to purchase this collection.

David Oxford, moderator OTRR Purchasing Group

Eliyahu Levin

I don't have any of the necessary equipment but I can contribute to the price.

On Friday, November 13, 2020 David Oxford <main@OldTimeRadioResearchers.groups.io> wrote:

[...]

Danny

Hi David,

I've always wanted to do this but two things hinder me
  1. a high spinal cord injury that severely limits the of my hands and arm
  2. the lack of knowledge and price range of equipment to adequately do the job
The first can be overcome due to the fact that I have an amazing wife.  The process would be slow but it would be interesting to learn and contribute.  Could you give me an idea regarding my second point?

Thanks,
Danny

On 11/13/20 9:11 AM, David Oxford wrote:
[...]

Ian Grieve

Wouldn't they already have been digitised?

Ian

Sent from my SAMSUNG Galaxy S7 on the Telstra Mobile Network

[...]

Joe Webb

Edited

My understanding is that this is similar to the Hehn collection that we are working on now.

There is a portion of the reels that are vintage from a collector in the 1960s that may have been digitized as they appeared in other collections over the years. But this is a chance to use our modern tools to transfer these recordings from disc or very early generation using modern tools.

There are other parts of the collection that are from the newer era of reels (late 1970s, 1980s) that are early generation that can replace many of the bulk digitizations that were done in the 1990s.

Throughout the collections that are older, there are many recordings that have fallen out of circulation because of sound quality that can now be adjusted when they could not be fixed before (prior to our digital tools) or because the collectors who had them stopped trading (because of interest or their passing away or their trading contacts doing the same).

There will be much in these reels that is already out -- which is why Tom B acquired them years ago as backup -- but this is a clean slate of opportunity for many of the recordings.

This is why acquiring this collection has to be carefully done and it must be realized that there may not be many new or rare recordings. But now they can be digitized in better formats (FLAC vs mp3) from good recordings with better processing. This could be a step forward in sound quality for hundreds and hundreds of programs.

This is a risk -- financially and workwise -- which is why acquiring it as a group is wiser than as an individual to disperse the risk and the tasks.

I've been encouraged by the groundswell of work being done on the Hehn collection (which was obtained basically for transportation and storage costs). The Hehn collection had the bonus of a lot of hard copy items, such as scripts and OTR fanzines that have not been seen for decades. This purchase from Tom B is somewhat different, but there is a portion of it that is from the Hehn time period -- in fact, the catalog of that collector -- Stan Falk -- is in Hehn's papers and there are reels that he got from him on 1200' tape at 7.5ips -- the standard for the time. They are disc dubs and they sound great, even better with digital processing!

Yes it is risky, as I know that in my Suspense work that sometimes I get less than a 1 in 10 hit of an improvement in sound or a different format, but it is an opportunity for other series that have not gotten this much attention.

I have volunteered transfer and processing time for this acquisition if it is made.

There is another factor -- we need to get more volunteers involved and to develop their skills in transferring audio. Reel decks are getting harder to find, and if more people can make efforts to find them, even in their neighborhoods from families who have just stored them away, it can create many more hands to make lighter work.

I'm skeptical of managing the physical size of the purchase, but it can be done with the right planning and the right recruitment.

--

barry nadler

I will donate money via PayPal to help this effort. Please send me an email address for this.

I wish you the best with this. I don’t have any hardware to help with.

Sent from Yahoo Mail for iPad

On Saturday, November 14, 2020, 6:10 AM, Joe Webb via groups.io <drjoewebb@...> wrote:

[Edited Message Follows]

[...]

Marc Olayne

Richard Davenport

Perhaps we could start a go fund me page.

Rick

On Nov 14, 2020, at 8:56 PM, barry nadler via groups.io <marc19olayne39@...> wrote:

[...]

John

Joe, I don’t have any equipment but I am willing to acquire the needed equipment to help.  I just have no reel knowledge.  Can you share with me directly what equipment I would need in order to digitize some tapes?