Old Time Radio Shortwave

KENDALL SHARPE

I recently purchased a shortwave radio, does anyone know of any old time radio stations that exist on shortwave and are receivable within the United States?  I found out online that an OTR shortwave radio station did exist back in the summer of 2019, but I've been unable to find anything that's still current.

-

Just as a general note, smartspeakers will tune in international stations which also have an net presence. Sadly the shortwave world has
greatly declined since the net proliferated with station access.

Bbc has rebroadcasts of its old content from all eras, just ask your smartspeaker to play bbc radio 4 extra. If you goto that bbc web page
there should be schedule info and net access to shows.

--
ent-
XR

chris antoniacci

Great suggestion about BBC 4 Extra.  Thank you!

On Tuesday, September 28, 2021, 2:34 PM, - <dandunfee@...> wrote:

Just as a general note, smartspeakers will tune in international stations which also have an net presence.  Sadly the shortwave world has
greatly declined since the net proliferated with station access.

Bbc has rebroadcasts of its old content from all eras, just ask your smartspeaker to play bbc radio 4 extra.  If you goto that bbc web page
there should be schedule info and net access to shows.

On Tue, 28 Sep 2021, KENDALL SHARPE via groups.io wrote:

> I recently purchased a shortwave radio, does anyone know of any old time radio stations that exist on shortwave and are receivable within the United States??? I found out online that an OTR shortwave radio station did exist back in the summer of 2019, but I've been unable to find anything that's still current.

--
ent-
XR

Philip Atchley

Hi,

I've been an active SWL (shortwave listener) since around 1953 when I was given an old console radio (I was 10 yrs old).  I got heavily bit by the bug and it led to a lifelong interest in radio, career in electronics etc.

Alas, shortwave isn't what it once was, BBC and a few other international broadcasters still hang on (Radio Havana immediately comes to mind), as well as a few religious broadcasters.  But I don't recall hearing any real OTR recently.

Maybe a year ago I heard some Amos and Andy and a couple other shows on a 'pirate' broadcaster, but then, I haven't done a lot of SWLing in quite awhile (more active on the hambands though).

<>< 73 From "The Beaconeer's Lair" <><
Specializing in DXing NDBs (Longwave Beacons)
Phil, KO6BB, http://www.qsl.net/ko6bb/

HF/LF RADIOS:
YAESU: FTDX-101MP Xceiver, Dual SDR Receivers (~2020)
YAESU: FTDX-3000 Xceiver, DSP IF, 300Hz Roofing filter (~2019).
Uniden: SDS-200 Scanner, 25-1300MHz (2020)
Portable: Eton Elite 750 (2), AKA Grundig Satelite 750 (2020)
Sangean ATS-909X2 (2021), Tecsun PL-990 (2021)
HOMEBREW: 7 Tube+Rect 1v3 Regen RX for LF (built 2015)
SDRS: Perseus 10KHz-40MHz (2020)
Softrock Ensemble II LF Receiver (kit, 2017)
Softrock Ensemble II HF Receiver (Kit, 2019)
ACC: MFJ-993B Auto Antenna Matcher.
HOMEBREW LF-MF Pre-Amp, 8Hz Audio Filter.
HOMEBREW 4 Port Antenna Multicoupler, Feeds 4 RX's.

ANTENNAS: 88 foot Long Ladder-line fed dipole, ~35 feet AGL for MW/HF.
Top Loaded Tee (Dipole fed as single element) ~35 Feet AGL.
Comet CHA-250B HF Vertical at ~24 Feet AGL For HF.
Ratzlaff Active whip, 5 Foot Long, ~16 Feet AGL For LF/MW/HF.
Wellbrook ALA1530LN Loop For LF/MW/HF at ~17 Feet AGL
Diamond Discone ~35 feet AGL for Scanner.
Merced, Central California, 37, 18, 37N 120, 30, 6W CM97rh

On 9/28/2021 5:31 AM, KENDALL SHARPE via groups.io wrote:
I recently purchased a shortwave radio, does anyone know of any old time radio stations that exist on shortwave and are receivable within the United States?  I found out online that an OTR shortwave radio station did exist back in the summer of 2019, but I've been unable to find anything that's still current.
_._,_._,_

W.M. Mitchell

Talking about shortwave, and hope folks don't mind my 'hijacking' the thread, as it were, but can anyone recommend a good shortwave radio?

Thanks!