Topics

OTR vs. NTR vs. BBC

Ryan Ellett

I'd absolutely be interested in publishing your work, Larry, we've even published pieces on brand new productions. I was more just stating my opinion that within the hobby, I lean towards limiting the term old-time radio to productions from the 1960s and before. There are always a few oddball exceptions but as a cultural force and commercial industry, dramatic radio was greatly diminished by this point and 1962 is a convenient way to identify the end of the era. As others have said, this really only applies to U.S. radio since audio drama from BBC and Commonwealth countries has continued on. I only use the term OTR when talking about American broadcasts, for the most part.

On Friday, January 8, 2021, 09:31:26 AM CST, Larry Maupin <lmaupin@...> wrote:

Ryan, that is very clearly stated and convincing.  Does this mean that you would not be interested in publishing an article on them in Old Radio Times?  Just curious.

Thank you Ryan.  Quite a few members have now posted opinions as to whether the four series from 1975 should or should not be considered old-time radio shows.  When Walden first mentioned them (I think last night or early today) I could not help making a connection between them and the article I am right now in the process of writing.  I hope to submit "The 1965 Revival of Old-Time Radio" to you next week for possible inclusion in the January/February issue of Old Radio Times, and if I do submit one for the March/April issue I have two months to decide what it will be.

So many group members have become involved in helping me write this article that I can't help wondering if they would be equally enthusiastic about an article on the 1975 revival.