Topics

otrDB Brainstorming

Wild West Designs

Right now, I have: 20th Century Radio, Amazing Tales, Antioch OTR, Audio Noir, Crime Time, Crime USA, Hank's Gumshoe, Hank's OTR, Hank's Westerns, MPIR Comedy, MPIR OTR, OTR Fan, OTR Now, and OTR USA

If there are any others let me know.

I did make the player a dockable/floating widget instead of it's own window.

The other thing that I wanted to try to brainstorm is what about having links or bundle in research material, scripts etc? This would only be stuff that is freely available, just consolidated (and curated) in one spot?

And if anyone has or can suggest such material that would fit that criteria, let me know.

This is just brainstorming, hoping to add some more functionality to the program.

I'm going to see about doing an official release build over the weekend and I'll post up the new repo links. This will take over the other versions that I was working on while trying to see which would be the best way to do the program.

This will be open source like the others, so if anybody would like to contribute, either to the content that is in the program or to code of the program, please let me know.

If anyone has any other ideas for functionality let me know. Might take awhile as I'm still learning the language, but I'll see what I can do.

Edward A. (Ted) Jones

Hi!

Is there a link to the app?  Apologies if I am being dense.

vBest,
Ted

On Thursday, September 3, 2020, 09:49:00 AM EDT, Wild West Designs <evan@...> wrote:

[...]

I will post that when the repo goes live.  Plans for that are this weekend.  I'll just post the link to the release section and all anyone would need to do is download the zip file that they would need for their OS (it is like Otter, it is portable, just extract, drop where you want all the files to be and click on the executable).  I'll have them ready for Linux and for Windows.  Due to restrictions of the Mac ecosystem, I will not be able to have those pre built for Mac, but anyone that is willing would be able to take the source code and build it themselves for Mac.

If anyone is familiar and/or willing to do that on Mac is more then willing to upload that to the repo (or send me a copy of program to do that) and I'll make it available there for Mac users.

On 9/3/20 9:33 AM, Edward A. (Ted) Jones via groups.io wrote:
[...]

p_motsuk

I can give it a try on a Mac. Sounds like a fun challenge.

- Paul

West Designs <evan@...> wrote:

[...]

Dennis Pipper

I’m willing to give it a try on Mac also.

Dennis

Wild West Designs

Alright, the initial release of otrDB for Linux and Windows is available here:

https://github.com/wwderw/otrDB/releases/tag/1.0.0

It is portable, just unzip and drag the root folder where you want it.  Go in that director and click on the exe file (on Windows), on Linux do the same thing except click on the AppImage file. Very much like Otter if used to that.

I have about 28 radio stations hard coded into the player.

I have been toying with adding in a resource section for online sources and maybe see about having a webview in the program open up to where the Radio Times is hosted.  Thoughts?

Anyway take it for a spin and let me know.  Can either message me through here or create an "issue" on the github repository for bugs, feature requests etc.

Hope y'all like it.

Thanks,

Evan

Scott Mahan

I don't think I understand how you are supposed to tell what episode is playing.

[...]

Right now, only the name of the station is setup to be displayed. No metadata (those stations that pass that along) is setup to be received and displayed yet.

On 9/6/20 10:41 AM, Scott Mahan wrote:
[...]

I checked all of the stations and the links that I have, all metaData->isAvailable() showed up as false, so QT isn't picking up any metadata on any of the stations that I have on stream.

It's possible that services like ShoutCast and/or TuneIn are pulling it from somewhere else when they display it.

I'll have to put that as  to due and see if I can figure something out.

On 9/6/20 12:25 PM, Wild West Designs wrote:
[...]

Well, got a new release for the otrDB program.

Big feature is now have metadata reading for both the local player and the streams. This was a requested feature and at first glance it appears that Qt wasn't able to get metadata, but it turns out that Qt needs to have the source in question pre loaded to a certain % before it's able to grab the metadata.

Not so much a big deal for the local player. The time that it takes to select a file and then click play is enough time for it to be loaded and metadata (if available) for the file title is accessible. With the streams, there is a little bit of a gotcha. Depending on latency between the program and the server broadcasting the stream, it may take awhile before the metadata can be accessible.

I have a working solution so far. Initially when selecting the radio or previous/next station it will show the station name. Next you'll need to click "Show Station Episode Title" and if enough time has past, it should be able to grab and display the metadata. I do have a delay of a couple of seconds when the button is pressed before it tries to grab the data, so don't expect an immediate response. Depending on how quickly radio/next/previous station is pressed and then "Show Station Episode Title", it may require another press, but remember there will be another delay. I'll need to work on the code some more as I'll need to setup a refresh for when the metadata changes that it updates, right now, if a new episode comes on, it's a manual refresh.

Hopefully this will change in Qt 6 (just "frozen" for beta Sept. 1st. When I was going through the Qt forums trying to get this setup, that was a common concern.

Some smaller additions. Added keybindings for the databases for quick accessibility. Also added a temp splash screen at the beginning. Going to rework the main icon and for the splash may do an animated one.

As far as future work, I was wanting to add something for resources. I figured I would link to the main OTRR page, maybe to the Radio Times as well as HotRod.

If there are links for areas of how to handle audio, either working with original source or trying to manipulate existing files etc. Tools, what to look for.

Maybe even a vendor list of reputable vendors. I know there are some in here, if they want to be listed let me know, it's an opt-in listing if they want to take advantage of it.

I welcome other suggestions, feature requests etc.

Wild West Designs

Latest release of the main app can be found here:

https://github.com/wwderw/otrDB/releases

Also, I did separate the audio player into it's own app.  It is only a streaming player and it can be found here:

https://github.com/wwderw/otrDB_Radio_Player/releases

I may see about making the streaming player version an android app as well.

Some changes with the main app:

I added some links under the Resources menu.  I linked to 2 American modern audio drama companies that I like to get my entertainment from and I also linked to OTRR as well.  I separated the links for OTRR for convenience.  Main Page, Radio Times, HotRod and to this group here.  I would like to add in more links as well to more information related for those that want to say learn about audio and audio cleanup when taking a show from disc to digital etc.  Or for books that are on topic.  Either related to shows or to the technical aspects of the hobby etc.

Also I would like to have a list of vendors for OTR shows as well.  With so many sources out there, I think it would be beneficial to have a curated list in that regard as well.  Any input would be greatly appreciated on any of the above or anything else related to the program(s).

Thanks,

Evan