Topics

OTRR Curated Collections

Paul Kornman

Larry Maupin has researched a set of episodes called "Dramatizations of Famous Murder Cases, Trials and Unsolved Mysteries on Radio Programs".
This set has been become OTRR's first Curated Collection: https://www.otrr.org/OTRRLibrary/curated/curated001.html
Let us know what you think of the specific set as well as the idea of member-generated curated sets.

Ryan Ellett

Congratulations, Larry! I know you've been working very hard on this new curated set idea for most of the year.

On Saturday, November 14, 2020, 04:41:13 AM CST, Paul Kornman via groups.io <pkornman@...> wrote:

Larry Maupin has researched a set of episodes called "Dramatizations of Famous Murder Cases, Trials and Unsolved Mysteries on Radio Programs".
This set has been become OTRR's first Curated Collection: https://www.otrr.org/OTRRLibrary/curated/curated001.html
Let us know what you think of the specific set as well as the idea of member-generated curated sets.

Dan

I have the decks and means to transfer

My one concern is the era mentioned (1980s-1990's) per the tape stock. As we know Towards the end of the 70s, thru the 80s and into the 90s, alot of the tape stock suffered from Stick Shed Syndrome. This would require baking each tape which in a lot this size will require extra time to dub.
 Is there a way to find out what brand and tape stock number these tapes are (ie: Ampex 607) to get a better idea what we have to work with?

--
Happy Radio Trails!
Dan

Larry Maupin

Thank you Ryan.  When Paul posted a message inviting members to try their hand at curating a collection I was immediately interested.  Working on the first one was a learning experience, and I had to delete several episodes that I had already digitized due to poor sound quality or because I decided that the content was not very interesting.  But after I finished my part I sent everything to Paul, who completed the process and now the collection is in the library, all dressed up with an attractive design and format and ready for listeners.

I did notice that the episodes must be listened to in sequence, or at least that was my experience when I clicked on Paul's link this morning and took a test drive.  Perhaps we should add a message so that browsers will not be discouraged if, for example, they try to listen to a Crime Classics episode first and find that they cannot.  Or maybe Paul can adjust the settings so that any program can be heard by just clicking on it.

I encourage other members to curate a collection of their own.  It does not have to be a large one, just something with a common theme involving episodes that you love and would like to share with the world.  They may already have been digitized and may already be in the OTRR Library collection.  What matters is the arrangement of shows into a unique grouping that will differentiate the collection from others and appeal to the imagination of potential listeners.

I am already working on another such project.  If anyone wants to curate a collection and would like to benefit from my experience in doing the first one, just send me a message and I promise to reply promptly.

Thanks again Ryan for all the support and encouragement you give to everyone in the group.

Congratulations, Larry! I know you've been working very hard on this new curated set idea for most of the year.

On Saturday, November 14, 2020, 04:41:13 AM CST, Paul Kornman via groups.io <pkornman@...> wrote:

Larry Maupin has researched a set of episodes called "Dramatizations of Famous Murder Cases, Trials and Unsolved Mysteries on Radio Programs".
This set has been become OTRR's first Curated Collection: https://www.otrr.org/OTRRLibrary/curated/curated001.html
Let us know what you think of the specific set as well as the idea of member-generated curated sets.

David Oxford

Dan

I’ll try calling Tom at Radioarchives and ask about tape stock.

David

On Nov 14, 2020, at 09:37, Dan via groups.io <danwitkoske@...> wrote:

I have the decks and means to transfer

My one concern is the era mentioned (1980s-1990's) per the tape stock. As we know Towards the end of the 70s, thru the 80s and into the 90s, alot of the tape stock suffered from Stick Shed Syndrome. This would require baking each tape which in a lot this size will require extra time to dub.
 Is there a way to find out what brand and tape stock number these tapes are (ie: Ampex 607) to get a better idea what we have to work with?

--
Happy Radio Trails!
Dan

jackies@tularosa.net

I could not find a way to download the set. Has anyone else had this
problem?

Thanks for the help.

Jackie Schlageter

Larry Maupin has researched a set of episodes called "Dramatizations of

Famous Murder Cases, Trials and Unsolved Mysteries on Radio Programs".
This set has been become OTRR's first Curated Collection:
https://www.otrr.org/OTRRLibrary/curated/curated001.html
Let us know what you think of the specific set as well as the idea of
member-generated curated sets.

Gordon Johansen

I'm not sure if you can download it but clicking the title will play it.

Gord

https://nam12.safelinks.protection.outlook.com/?url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.otrr.org%2FOTRRLibrary%2Fcurated%2Fcurated001.html&amp;data=04%7C01%7C%7Cfd37bd10b3884671e50408d888e84461%7C84df9e7fe9f640afb435aaaaaaaaaaaa%7C1%7C0%7C637409878436260152%7CUnknown%7CTWFpbGZsb3d8eyJWIjoiMC4wLjAwMDAiLCJQIjoiV2luMzIiLCJBTiI6Ik1haWwiLCJXVCI6Mn0%3D%7C1000&amp;sdata=vD%2FsxLGGe3cWjcEr7o%2FueqEthWrGQkkICfMGkXe86FQ%3D&amp;reserved=0
Let us know what you think of the specific set as well as the idea of
member-generated curated sets.

Gordon Johansen

Since I know Larry would want this to be perfect, I'll just mention that the first show has a spelling mistake that shows up above the player that pops up when you click the title.

Unwritten Law
The Case of the Ladies Diretory

Thanks a lot for this Larry. It looks great.

Gord

Paul Kornman via groups.io wrote on 11/14/20 3:41 AM:

Larry Maupin has researched a set of episodes called "Dramatizations of Famous Murder Cases, Trials and Unsolved Mysteries on Radio Programs".
This set has been become OTRR's first Curated Collection: https://www.otrr.org/OTRRLibrary/curated/curated001.html
Let us know what you think of the specific set as well as the idea of member-generated curated sets.

Paul Kornman

Typo Fixed. Thanks for the heads up.

To other points - You can click on the shows in any order. Just click the show's row in the table and the audio player will load it.

There was no thought (at least on my part) to download the collection as a whole. I'll think about that.
On the other hand, if you right-click the audio player, you should get a "Save Audio As..." option so you can save that individual file.

- Paul

Larry Maupin

Thank you for correcting the typo Paul.  I had not thought of downloading the collection as a whole either, but I do think it is a good idea to offer that option.

As for listening to individual episodes, my experience is that they can only be listened to in sequence starting with the Unwritten Law program at the top of the list and moving down one at a time.  This morning after reading your message I was able to hear the first five, but when I got to the sixth (This Is Your FBI) I could not hear it or anything on the list below it.  Also, I first tried listening to one or two episodes far down on the list but they would not open.

So I do not find it to be my experience that someone can just click on any episode in the collection and hear it immediately, or now even listen to more than the first five in sequential order.  But you distinctly write that "You can click on the shows in any order.  Just click on the show's row in the table and the audio player will load it."  So apparently one of us is wrong, and I hope it is me.  I can always listen to them on my flash drive, but other members and the general public may not have that option.

To other members, I hope some of you will give this a try and report on your experience.  Just attempt to listen to FBI In Peace and War, for example, by clicking on its line and you can hear the stirring theme music at the very beginning.  Then post a message as to whether you succeeded, or on anything else you discovered while trying to get audio within the set.

One final thought, Paul.  I visited the library website and attempted to find the collection as any browser might do, especially those who enjoy old-time radio.  I did not see it there.  In one of your earliest posts on the subject you envisioned something like having a category of Curated Collections that would be visible to browsers with possibly a brief description indicating that it is new and might be of interest.  A good idea, I think, but I see nothing at all on the website about the collection.

To other points - You can click on the shows in any order. Just click the show's row in the table and the audio player will load it.

There was no thought (at least on my part) to download the collection as a whole. I'll think about that.
On the other hand, if you right-click the audio player, you should get a "Save Audio As..." option so you can save that individual file.

- Paul

Gord, thank you for your very kind comments.  As you will see in Paul's message, he has already corrected the typo.  If you try listening to an episode and would not mind, please post a message relating your experience.

Since I know Larry would want this to be perfect, I'll just mention that the first show has a spelling mistake that shows up above the player that pops up when you click the title.

Unwritten Law
The Case of the Ladies Diretory

Thanks a lot for this Larry. It looks great.

Gord

Paul Kornman via groups.io wrote on 11/14/20 3:41 AM:

Larry Maupin has researched a set of episodes called "Dramatizations of Famous Murder Cases, Trials and Unsolved Mysteries on Radio Programs".
This set has been become OTRR's first Curated Collection: https://www.otrr.org/OTRRLibrary/curated/curated001.html
Let us know what you think of the specific set as well as the idea of member-generated curated sets.

B. J. Watkins

Larry, I checked the collection. You are correct, only the first five can heard. You can listen to them in any order you choose and can download them by right clicking on the audio file. Also, the only way I could find the collection was to find Paul's email that had the link. When I tried to use the search function neither your name nor curated set came up. And lastly there is another typo in the last line of the description:

"...Victorian Studies in Scarlet: Murders and Manners in the Ago of Victoria." I think that should the AGE of Victoria.

I'd like to make one suggestion, too. Can the articles you've written about each episode be linked to the shows?

Barbara

To other points - You can click on the shows in any order. Just click the show's row in the table and the audio player will load it.

There was no thought (at least on my part) to download the collection as a whole. I'll think about that.
On the other hand, if you right-click the audio player, you should get a "Save Audio As..." option so you can save that individual file.

- Paul

Hi Barbara.  Thank you for verifying that only the first five can be heard.  Also, the fact that you can only access the collection by clicking on the link in Paul's email reflects my experience exactly.  And thank you for reporting the typo in the title of Altick's book.  I had not noticed it, and when Paul sees your message I think he will correct it.

On the matter of linking the full episode summaries that I wrote to the shows, that is something we considered placing in an appendix, and that could probably still be done.  Another idea was to combine the best of them into an article for submission to the November/December issue of The Old Radio Times.  I will ask Paul whether he would rather have them in an appendix to the collection or in an article submitted to Ryan.

Your posts are always so good!

To other points - You can click on the shows in any order. Just click the show's row in the table and the audio player will load it.

There was no thought (at least on my part) to download the collection as a whole. I'll think about that.
On the other hand, if you right-click the audio player, you should get a "Save Audio As..." option so you can save that individual file.

- Paul

Paul Kornman

Edited

More notes:

1) fixed "Age" of Victoria. Thanks.
2) There was a technical glitch with most of the files.
   Now, you should be able to click any row in the table and get that particular episode's audio in the audio player at the top.
3) This set is not part of the main Library page at this time. Eventually, all curated sets will be added to the new library site:
     https://www.otrr.org/OTRRLibrary/otrrlibrary.html

- Paul

Paul Kornman

After some more back and forth with testers and Larry, a newer version of Curated Set #1 is available (in the same place):
https://www.otrr.org/OTRRLibrary/curated/curated001.html