Topics

OTRR Releases

Sue

After a prolonged multi-year absence, I'm back again with OTRR.  One of my first projects is to update the OTRR Release database that I created and include all the missing releases and archive.org information.

I've modified the database for the new version numbering format and have gone through and added almost all of the missing releases that I am aware of -- mainly by going through tons of old (mostly distro) emails and then looking for the current series on archive.org.  I also updated the web page with the new Maintained (vs Certified) definitions:

http://otrr.org/pg05b_groupreleases.htm

So far, I've added new series to the database, and their release information (with a couple of exceptions -- see below), but I have not yet updated the archive.org info (that will be in the next week or so).

Now, I need some help.

(1)  I believe I'm missing some information for The Adventures of the Falcon.  The most recent information I have about this is that version 2 is a 2 CD set marked Certified Accurate and was released Jan 4, 2013, but there may be something later.  This series is not on archive.org (due to previous rights issues back in 2010 with our first release of this series).  Does someone have the information for later release(s)?  (version number, release date, number of CDs/DVDs, distro number?)  Or put the set on DropBox for me?

(2)  Same question for The Lives of Harry Lime.  Most recent info I have for that is version 1 was a 1 CD set marked Certified Complete, released on Jul 25, 2012.  I think there is a new release (or releases) of this series too.

(3)  Distros NCD102 and NCD103 were a two-part distro in Jan 2017 for OTR-Related Comics.  Was that a newer version than the previous v1.1 OTR-Related Comics set released Apr 11, 2011?  Or just a re-distro of the same set?  (If newer, does anyone have the version and release date of this release?)

(4)  What's missing from the release reports (other than the current archive.org links, which I'll work on this week)?  Please look at the various release reports on the web page and see if you can spot any missing series or releases.

(5)  The text on the web page itself -- are there any updates that should be made?

Thanks!

-Sue

-Sue

Joe Webb

So glad to hear you're back!
Wish I had some answers to your questions

--
----------
Suspense Collector's Companion - 2020 edition

Ryan Ellett

So good to have Sue back! She was almost literally Jim B's right-hand person for many aspects of the OTRR during its early years. It's probably safe to say OTRR would look very different - if it would even exist - if Sue hadn't volunteered so much of her time.
Ryan

Allan Foster

Welcome back Sue!

On the Adventures of the Falcon, there has been nothing since the CS119, version 2 distro.  However, it was a 3-CD set instead of two.

On Harry Lime, I can't find anything newer than version 1.

OTR Related Comics is a bit of a mystery to me.  I have 6 DVDs of OTR Related Comics that I assumed were from 2017, mainly base on where they were located.  Anyway, Disc 1 has no files on it explaining the set.  Now I'm not sure if they are the 2011 or 2017 set.  I found an email from Brian K. after we sent the discs to him to put up on dropbox asking if this set was the new version or the same as the first version.  I replied that it was the same.  The only thing I could find addressing that was from an email from David Oxford about the 2017 set:

    BTW: I downloaded the files. I didn’t realize until later than this wasn’t an old distro but a re-distro of NCD011 Non-Certified OTR related Comics. I don’t understand the logic of giving new distro numbers and dividing the 5 DVD set into two distros and calling them NCD102 Part 1NCD103 Part 2.

I have emails with Ernie from 2016 discussing the new sets we had ready to distro with this included in the list, but nothing about why it was there  I also can't find any email from Andrew telling me he was sending me the set.  I suspect the two sets are the same.

I did find this in an email thread about the original set between you, Jim and I in 2011:

    The Schrievers <schriever@...>

    Apr 10, 2011, 6:20 AM

    to Sue, jimb, me
    Sue,

    Can't really help you there.  Sent these to Jim well over a year ago with the thought being they'd make nice rewards for volunteers, an idea that was getting more attention at that time than it is at the moment.      They're just a bunch of files that are digital, readable copies of comic books from mostly the 40s and 50s and in the largest part tied somehow to a radio theme or radio performers.  I don't even have a list of what I     sent and there was no research performed or any intent on my part for this to be anything more than just described.  I think I did include some software that can be used for reading the files.  I'm not knowledgeable     about these things and have no erudition to offer, I just found them on some DC++ hubs at some point and thought they might be interesting... haven't personally had time to even look at them much.  Sorry 'bout     that...

    Kurt

That doesn't really help with the 2017 distro, but it was all I could find explaining either distro. .  Very confusing.

Allan

On Saturday, December 14, 2019, 10:43:56 PM CST, Sue via Groups.Io <dbayg@...> wrote:

[...]

Great, thanks!

Yes, since OTR-Related Comics is one of our Non-Certified Sets (it's not OTR), there should be no certification files on it.  (In my v1.1 copy, there's just a small ReadMe.txt file.)  According to my records, v1.0 was released on Apr 4, 2011, and v1.1 a few days later, on Apr 11, 2011.  It was distro'd as NCD011 beginning in April 2011.  I could find no version-related info for this set that was distro'd in 2017 as NCD102 & NCD103 -- I kind of thought it was the same as from six years earlier, but didn't want to assume.

-Sue

On Sunday, December 15, 2019, 12:24:15 PM CST, Allan Foster via Groups.Io <allanpqz@...> wrote:

[...]

Tim Germain

Glad to have you back, Sue.

Tim Germain

Kurt Schriever

I had not seen or heard anything about this either since originally providing them… not involved with distributing them in any way.  Sorry…

Kurt

[...]

I've finished going through everything and updating the database of OTRR releases.  All the archive.org pages that I found have been entered into the database.  What have I missed?

I've noticed a couple of things.

First, although most of our ZIP pages (those that contain the full set of released files) have been updated with new files as updated releases were made available, some of our Singles pages (those with only the individual MP3 files included) have not been updated -- i.e. the newer MP3 files were not updated to the Singles pages.  (For example, the ZIP page for Gildersleeve has version 4 files, but the Singles page only has version 1 files.)  So we need to update a bunch of these pages -- I've marked these in the database as "Not Yet Available on archive.org".

Second, some of the OTRR releases in recent years have been uploaded to archive.org under someone's personal archive.org ID (rather than the shared group ID of "OTRRArchive"), and some of these pages did not get created in the OTR section of archive.org.  I went through and searched for all the releases I knew of in archive.org, but only under the OTR section of archive.org.  So there may be more out there that I didn't catch.

Question:

If you have ever loaded OTR files to archive.org, what's your archive.org ID?  (Or just paste a link for one of your pages, and I can find the info from there.)

Please look through the various Release Reports (found at the bottom of this page: http://otrr.org/pg05b_groupreleases.htm ) and let me know what information is missing or incorrect.

FYI:  There's a subtle difference in archive.org Availability verbiage on the reports for sets that are not on archive.org.  The meanings are as follows:

"Unavailable on archive.org" means that either (a) it's an old release and there's a newer one, or (b) we chose not to upload this release (due to copyright issues).

"Not Available on archive.org" means that at one point we did upload it, but someone complained to archive.org about copyright issues, so they took our page down.

also

"Not Yet Available on archive.org" means that we haven't uploaded it yet, but we see no reason not to.

Thanks!

-Sue

On Sunday, December 15, 2019, 04:17:39 PM CST, Kurt Schriever <kschriever@...> wrote:

[...]

Old Time Radio Researchers Group