Topics

Posting

Larry Maupin

It would be great to see more messages from other members to this group, and I wonder if there are so few because some people have never sent one and aren't sure how to do it.  This is what works for me: Sent an email to Main@OldTimeRadioResearchers.groups.io.

It is the weekend, and most of us are probably at home looking for enjoyable things to do.  So what if everyone would just send a brief message and tell everyone what your favorite old-time radio program is, or something like that?  I'm sure everyone would like to know.  Also, since joining the group in January I have not seen one disrespectful reply to a post, so it is safe to send a message here.

I hope at least a few people will do that, and I will happily read every word you write.

Scott Mahan

OK, I’ll bite. So I’m 62, live in Fort Worth, and work as a manager and architect in IT for a defense contractor.

I got into OTR about 2004 after I got my first XM Radio in 2002. After a year or so I got bored with the rock and sports channels and wandered over to Sonic Radio and listened to audio books for a year or so. They were having a rerun one day and I checked out Radio Classics, which was the channel next-door, and I’ve never looked back. After a couple of years I’d listened to their whole active inventory but hearing Greg Bell talk about it I figured there had to be more out there so during Christmas break of 2005 I started finding places to buy/download/share episodes on the internet. And the world has never been the same. Being an IT guy, I’ve got a spreadsheet for that, which tells me that I’ve accumulated 35,984 episodes of 336 titles and actually listened to 19,635 episodes of 269 titles. Assuming a 30 minute average program length that works our to 5.4 man-years the way we count it at work. So spread over 14 years, even with research and compilation time thrown in, it’s still only a part-time job. But it’s a pretty serious part-time job. J

Yours Truly Johnny Dollar, One Man’s Family, Gunsmoke, Superman, The Lineup, Tales of the Texas Rangers, Mayor of the Town, Jungle Jim, Calling All Cars, I Love A Mystery, Fibber McGee and Molly, Proudly We Hail. There is a mixed bag of a dozen that I like a lot. But it’s really hard to pick.

Right now, in the car, I’m working my way through Sherlock Holmes. I’ve been at it for almost a year but I’m nearing the end. I’ve worked through the NBC/Mutual/ABC-Rathbone/Bruce 33-46 episodes including the 46-49 continuation with progressive substitutes, BBC/WRCA-Gielgud/Richardson  54-55, BBC/WFMT-Hobbs/Shelly 55-69, CBSRMT-McCarthy/Benson(mostly) 77-82, BBC-Foster/Buck 78, Springbok-Armitage/Jordan 82-85, and I’m finishing up now BBC-Merrison/Williams 89-09. After that, I have 27 of Jim French’s Classic/Further Adventures of Sherlock Holmes 01-19 that I got from my Radio Vault subscription. I’d like to listen to all of those but they only seem to be available through Imagination Theatre and at $1.99 apiece, acquiring the remainder of the full set of 204 would be sort of pricey. They seem to be appearing at a rate of 4-5/month at Radio Vault. I think I’ll just see how long that goes on. I guess I could wait a couple of years to revisit Sherlock.

It would be great to see more messages from other members to this group, and I wonder if there are so few because some people have never sent one and aren't sure how to do it.  This is what works for me: Sent an email to Main@OldTimeRadioResearchers.groups.io.

It is the weekend, and most of us are probably at home looking for enjoyable things to do.  So what if everyone would just send a brief message and tell everyone what your favorite old-time radio program is, or something like that?  I'm sure everyone would like to know.  Also, since joining the group in January I have not seen one disrespectful reply to a post, so it is safe to send a message here.

I hope at least a few people will do that, and I will happily read every word you write.

Mike Thomas

The Mysterious Traveler

On Fri, Apr 3, 2020 at 8:32 AM, Larry Maupin
<lmaupin@...> wrote:
It would be great to see more messages from other members to this group, and I wonder if there are so few because some people have never sent one and aren't sure how to do it.  This is what works for me: Sent an email to Main@OldTimeRadioResearchers.groups.io.

It is the weekend, and most of us are probably at home looking for enjoyable things to do.  So what if everyone would just send a brief message and tell everyone what your favorite old-time radio program is, or something like that?  I'm sure everyone would like to know.  Also, since joining the group in January I have not seen one disrespectful reply to a post, so it is safe to send a message here.

I hope at least a few people will do that, and I will happily read every word you write.

Hi Mike,

One of my top ten favorite old-time radio episodes is the one of  "The Mysterious Traveler" entitled "The Most Famous Man in the World."  It is so good that I have probably listened to it half a dozen times and never got tired of hearing it.

Best wishes,

<lmaupin@...> wrote:
It would be great to see more messages from other members to this group, and I wonder if there are so few because some people have never sent one and aren't sure how to do it.  This is what works for me: Sent an email to Main@OldTimeRadioResearchers.groups.io.

It is the weekend, and most of us are probably at home looking for enjoyable things to do.  So what if everyone would just send a brief message and tell everyone what your favorite old-time radio program is, or something like that?  I'm sure everyone would like to know.  Also, since joining the group in January I have not seen one disrespectful reply to a post, so it is safe to send a message here.

I hope at least a few people will do that, and I will happily read every word you write.

Hello Scott. Thank you for sending such a good message.  It was a pleasure to read it, and I think you are probably one person who has listened to more OTR shows than I have.

It is interesting that you mention The Radio Vault.  When I first started collecting, I acquired some great shows on cassette tapes from The Radio Vault in Michigan.  Then the owner sold off his inventory and sent subscribers a notice that he was going out of business.  So I guess there must be another person or company that is now in existence using the same name.

I hope you will post more here.

It would be great to see more messages from other members to this group, and I wonder if there are so few because some people have never sent one and aren't sure how to do it.  This is what works for me: Sent an email to Main@OldTimeRadioResearchers.groups.io.

It is the weekend, and most of us are probably at home looking for enjoyable things to do.  So what if everyone would just send a brief message and tell everyone what your favorite old-time radio program is, or something like that?  I'm sure everyone would like to know.  Also, since joining the group in January I have not seen one disrespectful reply to a post, so it is safe to send a message here.

I hope at least a few people will do that, and I will happily read every word you write.

Scott Mahan

That is the name the Radio Classics guys, who have channel 148 on SiriusXM and sell CD’s on the internet, have for their download service. For $19.99/month you can download 1200 minutes of .mp3’s. I’ve been doing that for a long time and have downloaded all of their content. They do nice restoration work (although I think the Radio Archives guys are better) and they do release about that much content every month. Every now and then (but not very often) they produce something uncirculated. They have 11,128 episodes of 269 shows as of yesterday when I did my monthly download.

[...]

Well, I think they have adopted a good name, and it sounds as if they're doing a brisk business.  I do think there are now 38,000 episodes on the OTRR Website that can be downloaded, but I'm not sure whether there is a charge for doing it.

[...]

 I think most long-time members are aware, but just to make sure it's clear to all, there is absolutely no charge for using the OTRR library; Jim B. took a lot of grief over the years for utilizing mp3 in our released sets and on our library, but he insisted that they would always at least be free. It irked him to see sites and ftps selling mp3 downloads or CDs (especially when it was this group's material that was being sold!). The financial generosity of members over the years has allowed to offer everything on our sites for free to public.
Ryan

On Fri, Apr 3, 2020 at 02:37 PM, Larry Maupin wrote:
"I do think there are now 38,000 episodes on the OTRR Website that can be downloaded, but I'm not sure whether there is a charge for doing it.

Larry

Scott Mahan

I don’t fault the folk that make money off it, they are selling packaging and if other folk want to buy it … well, it’s their money. And Radio Classics and Radio Archives sponsor first-rate restoration work. But OTRR has always been first-rate at getting the most to the many (if only they will pay attention) and doing the research and conservation to make sure that nothing is lost. It’s something people should be proud to sponsor.

 I think most long-time members are aware, but just to make sure it's clear to all, there is absolutely no charge for using the OTRR library; Jim B. took a lot of grief over the years for utilizing mp3 in our released sets and on our library, but he insisted that they would always at least be free. It irked him to see sites and ftps selling mp3 downloads or CDs (especially when it was this group's material that was being sold!). The financial generosity of members over the years has allowed to offer everything on our sites for free to public.
Ryan

On Fri, Apr 3, 2020 at 02:37 PM, Larry Maupin wrote:
"I do think there are now 38,000 episodes on the OTRR Website that can be downloaded, but I'm not sure whether there is a charge for doing it.

Definitely no gripes with RA, Terry Salmonson, Jerry Haendiges, Ted Davenport and others who sell OTR; they spend a lot of coin acquiring the material, transferring, and cleaning it up. Jim had no issues with these individuals; they are pillars of the hobby. But he would gnash his teeth at the overnight websites selling 100-episode mp3 CDs for $10 when the same material was all available for free at the OTRR library. I think maybe there's less of that now than there was 10 or 15 years ago. A few have survived, like OTRCat. Ebay used to have a ton also, not sure if there's so much up there now.
Ryan