Topics

Posting

Larry Maupin

It would be great to see more messages from other members to this group, and I wonder if there are so few because some people have never sent one and aren't sure how to do it.  This is what works for me: Sent an email to Main@OldTimeRadioResearchers.groups.io.

It is the weekend, and most of us are probably at home looking for enjoyable things to do.  So what if everyone would just send a brief message and tell everyone what your favorite old-time radio program is, or something like that?  I'm sure everyone would like to know.  Also, since joining the group in January I have not seen one disrespectful reply to a post, so it is safe to send a message here.

I hope at least a few people will do that, and I will happily read every word you write.

Larry

--
Larry Maupin

Scott Mahan

OK, I’ll bite. So I’m 62, live in Fort Worth, and work as a manager and architect in IT for a defense contractor.

I got into OTR about 2004 after I got my first XM Radio in 2002. After a year or so I got bored with the rock and sports channels and wandered over to Sonic Radio and listened to audio books for a year or so. They were having a rerun one day and I checked out Radio Classics, which was the channel next-door, and I’ve never looked back. After a couple of years I’d listened to their whole active inventory but hearing Greg Bell talk about it I figured there had to be more out there so during Christmas break of 2005 I started finding places to buy/download/share episodes on the internet. And the world has never been the same. Being an IT guy, I’ve got a spreadsheet for that, which tells me that I’ve accumulated 35,984 episodes of 336 titles and actually listened to 19,635 episodes of 269 titles. Assuming a 30 minute average program length that works our to 5.4 man-years the way we count it at work. So spread over 14 years, even with research and compilation time thrown in, it’s still only a part-time job. But it’s a pretty serious part-time job. J

Yours Truly Johnny Dollar, One Man’s Family, Gunsmoke, Superman, The Lineup, Tales of the Texas Rangers, Mayor of the Town, Jungle Jim, Calling All Cars, I Love A Mystery, Fibber McGee and Molly, Proudly We Hail. There is a mixed bag of a dozen that I like a lot. But it’s really hard to pick.

Right now, in the car, I’m working my way through Sherlock Holmes. I’ve been at it for almost a year but I’m nearing the end. I’ve worked through the NBC/Mutual/ABC-Rathbone/Bruce 33-46 episodes including the 46-49 continuation with progressive substitutes, BBC/WRCA-Gielgud/Richardson  54-55, BBC/WFMT-Hobbs/Shelly 55-69, CBSRMT-McCarthy/Benson(mostly) 77-82, BBC-Foster/Buck 78, Springbok-Armitage/Jordan 82-85, and I’m finishing up now BBC-Merrison/Williams 89-09. After that, I have 27 of Jim French’s Classic/Further Adventures of Sherlock Holmes 01-19 that I got from my Radio Vault subscription. I’d like to listen to all of those but they only seem to be available through Imagination Theatre and at $1.99 apiece, acquiring the remainder of the full set of 204 would be sort of pricey. They seem to be appearing at a rate of 4-5/month at Radio Vault. I think I’ll just see how long that goes on. I guess I could wait a couple of years to revisit Sherlock.

From: main@OldTimeRadioResearchers.groups.io <main@OldTimeRadioResearchers.groups.io> On Behalf Of Larry Maupin
Sent: Friday, April 3, 2020 10:32 AM
To: 'Main@OldTimeRadioResearchers.groups.io' <Main@OldTimeRadioResearchers.groups.io>
Subject: [OldTimeRadioResearchers] Posting

It would be great to see more messages from other members to this group, and I wonder if there are so few because some people have never sent one and aren't sure how to do it.  This is what works for me: Sent an email to Main@OldTimeRadioResearchers.groups.io.

It is the weekend, and most of us are probably at home looking for enjoyable things to do.  So what if everyone would just send a brief message and tell everyone what your favorite old-time radio program is, or something like that?  I'm sure everyone would like to know.  Also, since joining the group in January I have not seen one disrespectful reply to a post, so it is safe to send a message here.

I hope at least a few people will do that, and I will happily read every word you write.

Larry

--
Larry Maupin

Mike Thomas

The Mysterious Traveler

On Fri, Apr 3, 2020 at 8:32 AM, Larry Maupin
<lmaupin@...> wrote:

Larry

--
Larry Maupin

Larry Maupin

Hi Mike,

One of my top ten favorite old-time radio episodes is the one of  "The Mysterious Traveler" entitled "The Most Famous Man in the World."  It is so good that I have probably listened to it half a dozen times and never got tired of hearing it.

Best wishes,
Larry

-----------------------------------------

To: "main@OldTimeRadioResearchers.groups.io"
Cc:
Sent: Friday April 3 2020 2:27:05PM
Subject: Re: [OldTimeRadioResearchers] Posting

The Mysterious Traveler

On Fri, Apr 3, 2020 at 8:32 AM, Larry Maupin
<lmaupin@...> wrote:

Larry

--
Larry Maupin

--
Larry Maupin

Larry Maupin

Hello Scott. Thank you for sending such a good message.  It was a pleasure to read it, and I think you are probably one person who has listened to more OTR shows than I have.

It is interesting that you mention The Radio Vault.  When I first started collecting, I acquired some great shows on cassette tapes from The Radio Vault in Michigan.  Then the owner sold off his inventory and sent subscribers a notice that he was going out of business.  So I guess there must be another person or company that is now in existence using the same name.

I hope you will post more here.
Larry

To: main@OldTimeRadioResearchers.groups.io
Cc:
Sent: Friday April 3 2020 2:26:43PM

OK, I’ll bite. So I’m 62, live in Fort Worth, and work as a manager and architect in IT for a defense contractor.

I got into OTR about 2004 after I got my first XM Radio in 2002. After a year or so I got bored with the rock and sports channels and wandered over to Sonic Radio and listened to audio books for a year or so. They were having a rerun one day and I checked out Radio Classics, which was the channel next-door, and I’ve never looked back. After a couple of years I’d listened to their whole active inventory but hearing Greg Bell talk about it I figured there had to be more out there so during Christmas break of 2005 I started finding places to buy/download/share episodes on the internet. And the world has never been the same. Being an IT guy, I’ve got a spreadsheet for that, which tells me that I’ve accumulated 35,984 episodes of 336 titles and actually listened to 19,635 episodes of 269 titles. Assuming a 30 minute average program length that works our to 5.4 man-years the way we count it at work. So spread over 14 years, even with research and compilation time thrown in, it’s still only a part-time job. But it’s a pretty serious part-time job. J

Yours Truly Johnny Dollar, One Man’s Family, Gunsmoke, Superman, The Lineup, Tales of the Texas Rangers, Mayor of the Town, Jungle Jim, Calling All Cars, I Love A Mystery, Fibber McGee and Molly, Proudly We Hail. There is a mixed bag of a dozen that I like a lot. But it’s really hard to pick.

Right now, in the car, I’m working my way through Sherlock Holmes. I’ve been at it for almost a year but I’m nearing the end. I’ve worked through the NBC/Mutual/ABC-Rathbone/Bruce 33-46 episodes including the 46-49 continuation with progressive substitutes, BBC/WRCA-Gielgud/Richardson  54-55, BBC/WFMT-Hobbs/Shelly 55-69, CBSRMT-McCarthy/Benson(mostly) 77-82, BBC-Foster/Buck 78, Springbok-Armitage/Jordan 82-85, and I’m finishing up now BBC-Merrison/Williams 89-09. After that, I have 27 of Jim French’s Classic/Further Adventures of Sherlock Holmes 01-19 that I got from my Radio Vault subscription. I’d like to listen to all of those but they only seem to be available through Imagination Theatre and at $1.99 apiece, acquiring the remainder of the full set of 204 would be sort of pricey. They seem to be appearing at a rate of 4-5/month at Radio Vault. I think I’ll just see how long that goes on. I guess I could wait a couple of years to revisit Sherlock.

From: main@OldTimeRadioResearchers.groups.io <main@OldTimeRadioResearchers.groups.io> On Behalf Of Larry Maupin
To: 'Main@OldTimeRadioResearchers.groups.io' <Main@OldTimeRadioResearchers.groups.io>

Larry

--
Larry Maupin

--
Larry Maupin

Scott Mahan

That is the name the Radio Classics guys, who have channel 148 on SiriusXM and sell CD’s on the internet, have for their download service. For $19.99/month you can download 1200 minutes of .mp3’s. I’ve been doing that for a long time and have downloaded all of their content. They do nice restoration work (although I think the Radio Archives guys are better) and they do release about that much content every month. Every now and then (but not very often) they produce something uncirculated. They have 11,128 episodes of 269 shows as of yesterday when I did my monthly download.

Sent: Friday, April 3, 2020 2:11 PM
To: 'main@OldTimeRadioResearchers.groups.io' <main@OldTimeRadioResearchers.groups.io>

Hello Scott. Thank you for sending such a good message.  It was a pleasure to read it, and I think you are probably one person who has listened to more OTR shows than I have.

It is interesting that you mention The Radio Vault.  When I first started collecting, I acquired some great shows on cassette tapes from The Radio Vault in Michigan.  Then the owner sold off his inventory and sent subscribers a notice that he was going out of business.  So I guess there must be another person or company that is now in existence using the same name.

Larry

Cc:

Larry

--
Larry Maupin

--
Larry Maupin

Larry Maupin

Well, I think they have adopted a good name, and it sounds as if they're doing a brisk business.  I do think there are now 38,000 episodes on the OTRR Website that can be downloaded, but I'm not sure whether there is a charge for doing it.

Larry

Cc:
Sent: Friday April 3 2020 3:32:13PM

That is the name the Radio Classics guys, who have channel 148 on SiriusXM and sell CD’s on the internet, have for their download service. For $19.99/month you can download 1200 minutes of .mp3’s. I’ve been doing that for a long time and have downloaded all of their content. They do nice restoration work (although I think the Radio Archives guys are better) and they do release about that much content every month. Every now and then (but not very often) they produce something uncirculated. They have 11,128 episodes of 269 shows as of yesterday when I did my monthly download.

Sent: Friday, April 3, 2020 2:11 PM
To: 'main@OldTimeRadioResearchers.groups.io' <main@OldTimeRadioResearchers.groups.io>

Larry

Cc:

Larry

--
Larry Maupin

--
Larry Maupin

--
Larry Maupin

Ryan Ellett

I think most long-time members are aware, but just to make sure it's clear to all, there is absolutely no charge for using the OTRR library; Jim B. took a lot of grief over the years for utilizing mp3 in our released sets and on our library, but he insisted that they would always at least be free. It irked him to see sites and ftps selling mp3 downloads or CDs (especially when it was this group's material that was being sold!). The financial generosity of members over the years has allowed to offer everything on our sites for free to public.
Ryan

On Fri, Apr 3, 2020 at 02:37 PM, Larry Maupin wrote:
"I do think there are now 38,000 episodes on the OTRR Website that can be downloaded, but I'm not sure whether there is a charge for doing it.

Larry

Scott Mahan

I don’t fault the folk that make money off it, they are selling packaging and if other folk want to buy it … well, it’s their money. And Radio Classics and Radio Archives sponsor first-rate restoration work. But OTRR has always been first-rate at getting the most to the many (if only they will pay attention) and doing the research and conservation to make sure that nothing is lost. It’s something people should be proud to sponsor.

From: main@OldTimeRadioResearchers.groups.io <main@OldTimeRadioResearchers.groups.io> On Behalf Of Ryan Ellett via groups.io
Sent: Friday, April 3, 2020 8:37 PM

I think most long-time members are aware, but just to make sure it's clear to all, there is absolutely no charge for using the OTRR library; Jim B. took a lot of grief over the years for utilizing mp3 in our released sets and on our library, but he insisted that they would always at least be free. It irked him to see sites and ftps selling mp3 downloads or CDs (especially when it was this group's material that was being sold!). The financial generosity of members over the years has allowed to offer everything on our sites for free to public.
Ryan

"I do think there are now 38,000 episodes on the OTRR Website that can be downloaded, but I'm not sure whether there is a charge for doing it.

Larry

Ryan Ellett

Definitely no gripes with RA, Terry Salmonson, Jerry Haendiges, Ted Davenport and others who sell OTR; they spend a lot of coin acquiring the material, transferring, and cleaning it up. Jim had no issues with these individuals; they are pillars of the hobby. But he would gnash his teeth at the overnight websites selling 100-episode mp3 CDs for $10 when the same material was all available for free at the OTRR library. I think maybe there's less of that now than there was 10 or 15 years ago. A few have survived, like OTRCat. Ebay used to have a ton also, not sure if there's so much up there now.
Ryan

On Sat, Apr 4, 2020 at 08:01 AM, Scott Mahan wrote:

I don’t fault the folk that make money off it, they are selling packaging and if other folk want to buy it … well, it’s their money. And Radio Classics and Radio Archives sponsor first-rate restoration work. But OTRR has always been first-rate at getting the most to the many (if only they will pay attention) and doing the research and conservation to make sure that nothing is lost. It’s something people should be proud to sponsor.

From: main@OldTimeRadioResearchers.groups.io <main@OldTimeRadioResearchers.groups.io> On Behalf Of Ryan Ellett via groups.io

Ryan

Larry

Bob Stepno

Thanks for inviting introductions, Larry. I've been more active in the Facebook posts, and was briefly following the Yahoo version of the group a decade ago until my job got a bit hectic.
Nowadays, I am a retired journalism and former newspaper and magazine writer... and my research interest is... Surprise... old-time radio shows that involved portrayals of newspaper reporters!

The Golden Age of radio was also a golden age of newspapers in many ways, and I'm always impressed with how often the newspaper as a significant part of daily life shows up in radio stories, from Vic and Sade reading the paper together Newsboys shouting extra, to Little Orphan Annie having her birthday party covered by a local paper oh, and so on.

Dozens of the Hollywood movies adapted for broadcast by Lux theater, Screen Guild and other movie Anthology programs were also "newspaper movies" to the extent that they had reporter or editor characters, and historical series like Cavalcade of America also had their share of journalists, some of whom I first heard of listening to OTR, despite having taken a couple of college courses in journalism history!

Obviously, Superman and the Green Hornet, both being set in newsrooms are high on my listening list. So are series like Soldiers of the Press and the Big Story, based on true experiences of reporters. Rogers of The Gazette and Frontier Gentleman are two of my absolute favorite series.

I have been writing about all of these for a decade in blog format at http://Jheroes.com -- each blog post is about one or two radio episodes, usually with an MP3 player so you can listen to the original show. The menu items at the top of the page are longer essays about particular is series or categories of series. Most of the pages have a discussion area where you can leave me a note about anything I left out or got wrong. I do check in and update things, fix broken links, and add new material.

Best wishes everybody. Stay healthy out there

Bob Stepno

Larry Maupin

Hello Bob.  I am really glad you posted such a great message that is so full of interesting details.  Also, thank you for the link to your blog, which I intend to explore as soon as I have replied to your message.

I love radio soap operas, and one of the reasons is their portrayal of life in small town America during the 1930s, 40s and 50s.  Most of the towns were fictional, but they almost always had a courthouse, a drugstore, a post office, a hotel, a doctor's office, a school, a barber shop (In "Just Plain Bill," Bill Davidson was famously known as "the barber of Hartville"), a few churches and a movie theater or two.  Sometimes they also had a newspaper.  In "Bright Horizon" citizens found the Riverfield "Morning Light" on their doorstep every morning; In Littleton (the setting of "Aunt Jenny's True Life Stories") it was "The Clarion"; and in "Ma Perkins", Rushville Center did not have its own newspaper but fortunately nearby Fort William did.  In one episode, Ma's son-in-law Willie Fitz sits in the barber shop reading the help wanted ads in the Fort William paper.

And in a special case, David Farrell in "Front Page Farrell" is an ace reporter for the New York "Daily Eagle" which is also at least once referred to as the Brooklyn "Eagle."

I hope you will post more messages.  Some of mine do not receive replies, but it is a pleasure to share thoughts with a community of people who have similar interests.

Best wishes,
Larry  

Cc:
Sent: Saturday April 4 2020 8:39:56PM

Thanks for inviting introductions, Larry. I've been more active in the Facebook posts, and was briefly following the Yahoo version of the group a decade ago until my job got a bit hectic.
Nowadays, I am a retired journalism and former newspaper and magazine writer... and my research interest is... Surprise... old-time radio shows that involved portrayals of newspaper reporters!

The Golden Age of radio was also a golden age of newspapers in many ways, and I'm always impressed with how often the newspaper as a significant part of daily life shows up in radio stories, from Vic and Sade reading the paper together Newsboys shouting extra, to Little Orphan Annie having her birthday party covered by a local paper oh, and so on.

Dozens of the Hollywood movies adapted for broadcast by Lux theater, Screen Guild and other movie Anthology programs were also "newspaper movies" to the extent that they had reporter or editor characters, and historical series like Cavalcade of America also had their share of journalists, some of whom I first heard of listening to OTR, despite having taken a couple of college courses in journalism history!

Obviously, Superman and the Green Hornet, both being set in newsrooms are high on my listening list. So are series like Soldiers of the Press and the Big Story, based on true experiences of reporters. Rogers of The Gazette and Frontier Gentleman are two of my absolute favorite series.

I have been writing about all of these for a decade in blog format at http://Jheroes.com -- each blog post is about one or two radio episodes, usually with an MP3 player so you can listen to the original show. The menu items at the top of the page are longer essays about particular is series or categories of series. Most of the pages have a discussion area where you can leave me a note about anything I left out or got wrong. I do check in and update things, fix broken links, and add new material.

Bob Stepno

--
Larry Maupin

Mike Thomas

There used to be a 10gb limit per month for dl from otrrlibrary

On Sat, Apr 4, 2020 at 5:39 PM, Bob Stepno
<Rstepno@...> wrote:

Bob Stepno

barry nadler

I lost the hard drive that contained all the OTRR distros  I received. The best way to recover the programs was to buy a drive filled with OTR. It wasn’t practical to try to find all the old CDs and DVDs. Also too time consuming to download. So the dealers do serve a useful purpose. 

Sent from Yahoo Mail for iPad

On Saturday, April 4, 2020, 8:48 AM, Ryan Ellett via groups.io <oldradiotimes@...> wrote:

Definitely no gripes with RA, Terry Salmonson, Jerry Haendiges, Ted Davenport and others who sell OTR; they spend a lot of coin acquiring the material, transferring, and cleaning it up. Jim had no issues with these individuals; they are pillars of the hobby. But he would gnash his teeth at the overnight websites selling 100-episode mp3 CDs for $10 when the same material was all available for free at the OTRR library. I think maybe there's less of that now than there was 10 or 15 years ago. A few have survived, like OTRCat. Ebay used to have a ton also, not sure if there's so much up there now.
Ryan

On Sat, Apr 4, 2020 at 08:01 AM, Scott Mahan wrote:

Ryan

Larry

--
Marc Olayne

Ryan Ellett

I remember asking Jim about that in a phone call years back he said, "Oh, there's no actual limit, we just put that there so people don't clog all the bandwidth downloading everything." But that doesn't mean there wasn't an actual cap at some point. It does still say on the front page of the library that there is a 10gb download limit, but in reality there is no such thing (as I've been led to believe, anyway). So OTRR members need not worry about that.
Ryan

www.RyanEllett.com

On Sunday, April 5, 2020, 01:19:33 AM CDT, Mike Thomas via groups.io <thomaspilgrims@...> wrote:

There used to be a 10gb limit per month for dl from otrrlibrary