program that does a good job transcribing audio text

Walden Hughes

Hi I am looking for a good program that will transcribe audio in to text formate.  We have tried youtube but it does not handle OTR very well.  Take care,

Walden

From: main@OldTimeRadioResearchers.groups.io [mailto:main@OldTimeRadioResearchers.groups.io] On Behalf Of Ryan Ellett via groups.io
Sent: Friday, April 30, 2021 6:07 AM
To: main@OldTimeRadioResearchers.groups.io
Subject: Re: [OldTimeRadioResearchers] Sky Pilot

These old-time religious programs have not been very popular through the history of the hobby but I suspect it's really a wide-open field for an aspiring researcher to make a big contribution to the field. I can't imagine how many  runs of records and scripts from these old programs are hidden and forgotten in denomination and ministry libraries and individual attics and basements. I attend a Mennonite church and discovered a radio program (I think a drama) done by a Mennonite committee from the late 1940s-early 1950s if I remember correctly. I haven't looked for audio but I know the scripts survive in a denominational building in central Kansas. It's been on my radar for ten years or so to go look at them. 

Ryan

The Old Time Radio Researchers

"Saving the Past for the Future"

On Thursday, April 29, 2021, 06:22:48 PM CDT, not.serious@... <not.serious@...> wrote:

So the recordings were made for what purpose? possibly for replay at a different time of the day?

joe salerno

On 4/28/2021 12:53 PM, Steve Arndt via groups.io wrote:

Yes, 'Sky Pilot' on KPRC in Houston was a religious program featuring morning devotions, poetry and organ music.  It was presented by Charles C. Hard of Radio Religious Activities, Inc.  The 15-minute program debuted sometime around 1933 and aired daily for at least 20 years.  Charles C. Hard died in 1961.

The Amarillo 'Sky Pilot' on KGNC was another religious program, and was hosted by a Rev. H. A. Somerville.  I do not believe he was associated with Charles C. Hard or Radio Religious Activities, Inc.

Litsey, Alan

Walden, you might try Microsoft stream. It does have a transcription function. I’m not sure how accurate it is, as I’ve not looked at this function.

Best, alan

From: main@OldTimeRadioResearchers.groups.io <main@OldTimeRadioResearchers.groups.io> on behalf of Walden Hughes via groups.io <waldenhughes@...>
Date: Friday, April 30, 2021 at 10:52 AM
To: main@OldTimeRadioResearchers.groups.io <main@OldTimeRadioResearchers.groups.io>
Subject: [OldTimeRadioResearchers] program that does a good job transcribing audio text

Hi I am looking for a good program that will transcribe audio in to text formate.  We have tried youtube but it does not handle OTR very well.  Take care,

Walden

From: main@OldTimeRadioResearchers.groups.io [mailto:main@OldTimeRadioResearchers.groups.io] On Behalf Of Ryan Ellett via groups.io

These old-time religious programs have not been very popular through the history of the hobby but I suspect it's really a wide-open field for an aspiring researcher to make a big contribution to the field. I can't imagine how many  runs of records and scripts from these old programs are hidden and forgotten in denomination and ministry libraries and individual attics and basements. I attend a Mennonite church and discovered a radio program (I think a drama) done by a Mennonite committee from the late 1940s-early 1950s if I remember correctly. I haven't looked for audio but I know the scripts survive in a denominational building in central Kansas. It's been on my radar for ten years or so to go look at them. 

Ryan

On Thursday, April 29, 2021, 06:22:48 PM CDT, not.serious@... <not.serious@...> wrote:

So the recordings were made for what purpose? possibly for replay at a different time of the day?

joe salerno

Yes, 'Sky Pilot' on KPRC in Houston was a religious program featuring morning devotions, poetry and organ music.  It was presented by Charles C. Hard of Radio Religious Activities, Inc.  The 15-minute program debuted sometime around 1933 and aired daily for at least 20 years.  Charles C. Hard died in 1961.

The Amarillo 'Sky Pilot' on KGNC was another religious program, and was hosted by a Rev. H. A. Somerville.  I do not believe he was associated with Charles C. Hard or Radio Religious Activities, Inc.

Michael Hingson

Walden,

I use otter.ai with Zoom. I haven’t tried OTR programs, but will do so. I am sure you will have to plug in names and such, but I have found Otter to do extremely well with actual transcription of presentations.

Best Regards,

Michael Hingson

From: main@OldTimeRadioResearchers.groups.io On Behalf Of Walden Hughes
Sent: Friday, April 30, 2021 8:53 AM
Subject: [OldTimeRadioResearchers] program that does a good job transcribing audio text

Walden

Ryan

joe salerno

Wild West Designs

There are some web based options that can be run locally.  Nice thing about that is that it would be cross platform and depending on what codecs your browser has, even niche audio formats may be supported as well (just depends on if you want to deal with node and the web platform).  A lot of them are touted for interviews, so being a scripted audio drama, that may present some challenges when having to deal with sound effects etc.  But that in all honesty, would be the issue with any transcription software as you have found out with YouTube.

---

Evan West

otrDB and otrDBPlayer programs using Godot and Qt framework

On 2021-04-30 10:54 AM, Litsey, Alan wrote:

Walden, you might try Microsoft stream. It does have a transcription function. I'm not sure how accurate it is, as I've not looked at this function.

Best, alan

From: main@OldTimeRadioResearchers.groups.io <main@OldTimeRadioResearchers.groups.io> on behalf of Walden Hughes via groups.io <waldenhughes@...>
Date: Friday, April 30, 2021 at 10:52 AM
To: main@OldTimeRadioResearchers.groups.io <main@OldTimeRadioResearchers.groups.io>

Walden

Ryan

joe salerno

Walden Hughes

Thank you

From: main@OldTimeRadioResearchers.groups.io [mailto:main@OldTimeRadioResearchers.groups.io] On Behalf Of Michael Hingson
Sent: Friday, April 30, 2021 9:00 AM
Subject: Re: [OldTimeRadioResearchers] program that does a good job transcribing audio text

Walden,

I use otter.ai with Zoom. I haven’t tried OTR programs, but will do so. I am sure you will have to plug in names and such, but I have found Otter to do extremely well with actual transcription of presentations.

Best Regards,

Michael Hingson

From: main@OldTimeRadioResearchers.groups.io On Behalf Of Walden Hughes
Sent: Friday, April 30, 2021 8:53 AM

Walden

Ryan

joe salerno