Topics

Radio Logs

Larry Maupin

Some members of our groups have demonstrated the ability to search radio broadcast logs that were printed in newspapers well back into the 20th Century.  I would like to know if anyone can find evidence that a series of episodes of Big Sister and/or Pepper Young's Family was aired during the year 1965.

A fellow collector has several episodes of each of these serials that he says are dated 1965, and it would be newsworthy if they were actually aired over one or more radio stations in that year.

Thank you in advance to anyone who can provide the answer to that question.

Larry Maupin

--
Larry Maupin

Richard Davenport

There is a site called newspapers.com which via a subscription has access to scanned papers from all over the country.  I use it for the obits.  The cost is reasonable as I recall.

Rick

Labor ipse voluptas

On Wednesday, December 16, 2020, 1:16:18 PM CST, Larry Maupin <lmaupin@...> wrote:

Some members of our groups have demonstrated the ability to search radio broadcast logs that were printed in newspapers well back into the 20th Century.  I would like to know if anyone can find evidence that a series of episodes of Big Sister and/or Pepper Young's Family was aired during the year 1965.

A fellow collector has several episodes of each of these serials that he says are dated 1965, and it would be newsworthy if they were actually aired over one or more radio stations in that year.

Larry Maupin

--
Larry Maupin

Brian Kavanaugh

There's also this site, though for this particular project it won't help since it only goes through 1960.

A quick look through Newspapers.com (don't have time for more right now) indicates those are two separate shows. It was airing into at least 1967. However, it looks like they both started at least in 1938, if not before.

On Wed, Dec 16, 2020 at 1:21 PM Richard Davenport <klingon1@...> wrote:
There is a site called newspapers.com which via a subscription has access to scanned papers from all over the country.  I use it for the obits.  The cost is reasonable as I recall.

Rick

Labor ipse voluptas

On Wednesday, December 16, 2020, 1:16:18 PM CST, Larry Maupin <lmaupin@...> wrote:

Larry Maupin

--
Larry Maupin

bob_pedersen@...

Hello Larry. I found a 1965 article stating that not only Big Sister was being remade, but also Pepper Young's Family. The article states, "The...programs are taped in new York by a firm out of Boston, 'Modern Drama.' John Scott MacLellan, who has 25 years' experience in radio drama, updated the old soaps and is syndicating them to radio stations around the country. Vivian Smolen, who plays 'Big Sister,' shed her first radio tears on 'Our Gal Sunday,.' She also played the part of 'Laurel' in 'Stella Dallas.' Arthur Hughes was 'Just Plain Bill' for a decade on radio. Now he will be 'Dr. Carvell' on 'Big Sister.' Among the newcomers to this old trade are Gillian Spencer, Julie Mannix and Peter Fernandez (he's 'Pepper Young')."

- The Miami News, August 15, 1965.

bob_pedersen@...

Hello Larry. I found a 1965 article stating that not only Big Sister was being remade, but also Pepper Young's Family. The article states, "The...programs are taped in new York by a firm out of Boston, 'Modern Drama.' John Scott MacLellan, who has 25 years' experience in radio drama, updated the old soaps and is syndicating them to radio stations around the country. Vivian Smolen, who plays 'Big Sister,' shed her first radio tears on 'Our Gal Sunday,.' She also played the part of 'Laurel' in 'Stella Dallas.' Arthur Hughes was 'Just Plain Bill' for a decade on radio. Now he will be 'Dr. Carvell' on 'Big Sister.' Among the newcomers to this old trade are Gillian Spencer, Julie Mannix and Peter Fernandez (he's 'Pepper Young')."

Sent: Wednesday, December 16, 2020 11:28 AM
To: main@oldtimeradioresearchers.groups.io
Subject: Re: [OldTimeRadioResearchers] Radio Logs

There's also this site, though for this particular project it won't help since it only goes through 1960.

A quick look through Newspapers.com (don't have time for more right now) indicates those are two separate shows. It was airing into at least 1967. However, it looks like they both started at least in 1938, if not before.

On Wed, Dec 16, 2020 at 1:21 PM Richard Davenport <klingon1@...> wrote:

Rick

Labor ipse voluptas

Some members of our groups have demonstrated the ability to search radio broadcast logs that were printed in newspapers well back into the 20th Century.  I would like to know if anyone can find evidence that a series of episodes of Big Sister and/or Pepper Young's Family was aired during the year 1965.

Larry Maupin

--
Larry Maupin

Virus-free. www.avast.com

Larry Maupin

Thank you very much Rick, Brian, Bob, Joe, Randy and John.  All of you are such able and accomplished researchers, and I am grateful that you have responded to my question with such a generous amount of detailed information.

I think that as many as 20-25 episodes of both Big Sister and Pepper Young's Family  from 1965 may now be available.  The most interesting question about them is whether they were newly scripted.  Joe states that he suspects they were re-runs, while Randy writes that the episodes released in 1965 were "newly-recorded, using new scripts with modern, up-to-date situations."  The newspaper article from which Bob quotes states that the 1965 episodes of both serials were being re-made and updated by Modern Drama.

This is important to me because I think that if the 1965 episodes differ substantially from those first aired, that is news that might be of interest to old-time radio enthusiasts, or at least the minority of us who have an affection for soap operas.  If they are different, I might write episode summaries, provide titles, and even submit an article somewhere on the 1965 shows.

Thanks again to all of our scholars who have responded!

Larry

-----------------------------------------

To: main@OldTimeRadioResearchers.groups.io
Cc:
Sent: Wednesday December 16 2020 2:30:29PM

--
Larry Maupin

Richard Davenport

I have 76 of the Pepper Young and about 40 of the Big Sister...

Rick

Labor ipse voluptas

On Wednesday, December 16, 2020, 5:31:40 PM CST, Larry Maupin <lmaupin@...> wrote:

Thank you very much Rick, Brian, Bob, Joe, Randy and John.  All of you are such able and accomplished researchers, and I am grateful that you have responded to my question with such a generous amount of detailed information.

I think that as many as 20-25 episodes of both Big Sister and Pepper Young's Family  from 1965 may now be available.  The most interesting question about them is whether they were newly scripted.  Joe states that he suspects they were re-runs, while Randy writes that the episodes released in 1965 were "newly-recorded, using new scripts with modern, up-to-date situations."  The newspaper article from which Bob quotes states that the 1965 episodes of both serials were being re-made and updated by Modern Drama.

This is important to me because I think that if the 1965 episodes differ substantially from those first aired, that is news that might be of interest to old-time radio enthusiasts, or at least the minority of us who have an affection for soap operas.  If they are different, I might write episode summaries, provide titles, and even submit an article somewhere on the 1965 shows.

Larry

Cc:

--
Larry Maupin

Larry Maupin

Thank you Rick.  If any of those are from 1965 I would like to know if you have dates and episode titles for them.

Larry

To: "main@OldTimeRadioResearchers.groups.io"
Cc:
Sent: Wednesday December 16 2020 6:38:23PM

Rick

Labor ipse voluptas

On Wednesday, December 16, 2020, 5:31:40 PM CST, Larry Maupin <lmaupin@...> wrote:

Larry

Cc:

--
Larry Maupin

--
Larry Maupin

Richard Davenport

Larry,
Here is an episode I have of Pepper Young's Family that I can not place numerically.  It's not listed on Jerry H's site. 

Rick

Labor ipse voluptas

On Wednesday, December 16, 2020, 5:42:55 PM CST, Larry Maupin <lmaupin@...> wrote:

Thank you Rick.  If any of those are from 1965 I would like to know if you have dates and episode titles for them.

Larry

Cc:

Rick

Labor ipse voluptas

Larry

Cc:

--
Larry Maupin

--
Larry Maupin

Larry Maupin

Thank you very much Rick.  I remember hearing an episode in which Carter passes out, but do not have any notes on it.  I do have one dated December 22, 1955 that was recorded from KNBC-San Francisco in which Carter's death is discussed, so perhaps his passing out two years earlier was a foreshadowing of his death.

If you or any of our other researchers can find any evidence that even one (or more) radio stations actually aired any episodes of Big Sister or Pepper Young's Family in 1965, I would like to know the call letters and locations of that/those stations as well as times of broadcast.

I am going to begin the search myself this afternoon using the links and other sources that several members kindly provided, but I can use all the help I can get, especially from more experienced researchers who may have a better chance of success in finding the information.  Also, it would be exciting to be the first one to find proof that any of the 1965 episodes were aired and what station(s) carried them!

Thanks again to you and everyone else who are helping me research the background for the article I plan to write on the subject.

Larry

Cc:
Sent: Thursday December 17 2020 11:52:27PM

Larry,
Here is an episode I have of Pepper Young's Family that I can not place numerically.  It's not listed on Jerry H's site. 

Rick

Labor ipse voluptas

On Wednesday, December 16, 2020, 5:42:55 PM CST, Larry Maupin <lmaupin@...> wrote:

Larry

Cc:

Rick

Labor ipse voluptas

Larry

Cc:

--
Larry Maupin

--
Larry Maupin

--
Larry Maupin

Jim Jones

Larry
Found a Pepper Young(s) Family listing in the Walla Walla (Washington) Union  Bulletin for Monday, Dec. 26, 1965, 8:OO pm, on KUJ-CBS 1420.
Don’t have time to do any more now. Be back this afternoon if you need any more help.

If you or any of our other researchers can find any evidence that even one (or more) radio stations actually aired any episodes of Big Sister or Pepper Young's Family in 1965, I would like to know the call letters and locations of that/those stations as well as times of broadcast

jj

Sent: Friday, December 18, 2020 7:19 AM
To: 'main@OldTimeRadioResearchers.groups.io'

Thank you very much Rick.  I remember hearing an episode in which Carter passes out, but do not have any notes on it.  I do have one dated December 22, 1955 that was recorded from KNBC-San Francisco in which Carter's death is discussed, so perhaps his passing out two years earlier was a foreshadowing of his death.

If you or any of our other researchers can find any evidence that even one (or more) radio stations actually aired any episodes of Big Sister or Pepper Young's Family in 1965, I would like to know the call letters and locations of that/those stations as well as times of broadcast.

I am going to begin the search myself this afternoon using the links and other sources that several members kindly provided, but I can use all the help I can get, especially from more experienced researchers who may have a better chance of success in finding the information.  Also, it would be exciting to be the first one to find proof that any of the 1965 episodes were aired and what station(s) carried them!

Thanks again to you and everyone else who are helping me research the background for the article I plan to write on the subject.

Larry

Cc:

Larry,

Rick

Labor ipse voluptas

Larry

Cc:

Rick

Labor ipse voluptas

I think that as many as 20-25 episodes of both Big Sister and Pepper Young's Family from 1965 may now be available.  The most interesting question about them is whether they were newly scripted.  Joe states that he suspects they were re-runs, while Randy writes that the episodes released in 1965 were "newly-recorded, using new scripts with modern, up-to-date situations."  The newspaper article from which Bob quotes states that the 1965 episodes of both serials were being re-made and updated by Modern Drama.

Larry

Cc:

--
Larry Maupin

--
Larry Maupin

--
Larry Maupin

Larry Maupin

Jim, this is the first confirmation I have seen that any of the 1965 episodes was aired by a specific radio station.  Thank you very much for providing it.  

The specificity you supply is just perfect.  I intend to include the name of the newspaper in which the listing was published, the exact time that the episode was broadcast and the identification of the radio station that carried it in the article and to give proper credit to you for discovering it if you do not object.  It is interesting that a soap opera was scheduled at 8pm.

If you happen to run across any more similar information that will add to the factual depth and authenticity of the article I would be grateful to have that also.  I love the names of newspapers and the call letters and locations of radio stations from more than fifty years ago because they are a part of history, and any connection they have with old-time radio makes them even more fascinating.

Larry  

Cc:
Sent: Friday December 18 2020 9:44:43AM

Larry
Found a Pepper Young(s) Family listing in the Walla Walla (Washington) Union  Bulletin for Monday, Dec. 26, 1965, 8:OO pm, on KUJ-CBS 1420.
Don’t have time to do any more now. Be back this afternoon if you need any more help.

If you or any of our other researchers can find any evidence that even one (or more) radio stations actually aired any episodes of Big Sister or Pepper Young's Family in 1965, I would like to know the call letters and locations of that/those stations as well as times of broadcast

jj

If you or any of our other researchers can find any evidence that even one (or more) radio stations actually aired any episodes of Big Sister or Pepper Young's Family in 1965, I would like to know the call letters and locations of that/those stations as well as times of broadcast.

Larry

Cc:

Larry,

Rick

Labor ipse voluptas

Larry

Cc:

Rick

Labor ipse voluptas

I think that as many as 20-25 episodes of both Big Sister and Pepper Young's Family from 1965 may now be available.  The most interesting question about them is whether they were newly scripted.  Joe states that he suspects they were re-runs, while Randy writes that the episodes released in 1965 were "newly-recorded, using new scripts with modern, up-to-date situations."  The newspaper article from which Bob quotes states that the 1965 episodes of both serials were being re-made and updated by Modern Drama.

Larry

Cc:

--
Larry Maupin

--
Larry Maupin

--
Larry Maupin

--
Larry Maupin

Brian Kavanaugh

Here's one from the Sheboygan (WI) Press, March 18, 1965.

image.png

And an article from the Miami News. I also see info that it was broadcast in Troy, NY (January, maybe reruns?), Glens Falls, NY (roughly May) and Rapid City, SD (9/20/65). Different start dates in different locations.

image.png

image.png

On Fri, Dec 18, 2020 at 9:53 AM Larry Maupin <lmaupin@...> wrote:
Jim, this is the first confirmation I have seen that any of the 1965 episodes was aired by a specific radio station.  Thank you very much for providing it.  

The specificity you supply is just perfect.  I intend to include the name of the newspaper in which the listing was published, the exact time that the episode was broadcast and the identification of the radio station that carried it in the article and to give proper credit to you for discovering it if you do not object.  It is interesting that a soap opera was scheduled at 8pm.

If you happen to run across any more similar information that will add to the factual depth and authenticity of the article I would be grateful to have that also.  I love the names of newspapers and the call letters and locations of radio stations from more than fifty years ago because they are a part of history, and any connection they have with old-time radio makes them even more fascinating.

Larry  

Cc:

Larry

jj

Larry

Cc:

Larry,

Rick

Labor ipse voluptas

Larry

Cc:

Rick

Labor ipse voluptas

Larry

Cc:

--
Larry Maupin

--
Larry Maupin

--
Larry Maupin

--
Larry Maupin

Ryan Ellett

I'll try and remember to look the series up in Jim Cox's book this evening if no one beats me to it. The soaps have been sadly overlooked by fans over the decades and I think his books are the only notable work done on the genre.

www.RyanEllett.com

The Old Time Radio Researchers
"Saving the Past for the Future"

www.OTRR.org
www.OTRRLibrary.org

On Friday, December 18, 2020, 09:53:15 AM CST, Larry Maupin <lmaupin@...> wrote:

Larry  

Cc:

Larry

jj

Larry

Cc:

Larry,

Rick

Labor ipse voluptas

Larry

Cc:

Rick

Labor ipse voluptas

Larry

Cc:

--
Larry Maupin

--
Larry Maupin

--
Larry Maupin

--
Larry Maupin

Randy Watts

From the Troy Record; Troy, New York; January 15, 1965.

Inline image

._,_

Larry Maupin

I just came to my email account to begin researching newspaper radio logs for an article on the 1965 episodes of Big Sister and Pepper Young's Family, and what I see in my inbox makes me think that most of the work on that part of the article has already been done for me by fellow group members.  I now have enough confirmations that these episodes were indeed carried over a widespread group of stations such as Troy and Glens Falls, New York; Rapid City, South Dakota; Sheboygan, Wisconsin; and Walla Walla, Washington complete with station call letters and in several cases logs listing the two serials and times of day aired.

There are also at least two and possibly three confirmations that, as Randy Watts writes, "Pepper Young's Family and Big Sister were revived and released in early 1965 by a Boston Company named Modern Drama Productions."  He found a source which emphasized that "these shows were newly recorded, using new scripts with modern, up-to-date situations.  No word on how successful (or unsuccessful) these revivals were, but there were stations still running them in the late 1960s."

I think an article on these episodes should strike a balance between the wealth of historical details about them that other researchers in our group have provided and the novelty of their being based on new scripts and updated story lines.  There is an abiding mystery as to the relationship between the sinister Frank Wade and Neddie's wife Hope in Big Sister.  It will be interesting to learn if the 1965 episodes provide an answer to that.

I expect to submit the article to Ryan to consider for publication in Old Radio Times.  The visual images included in the messages by Randy and Brian would, I think, provide really nice illustrations as part of the piece.

Thanks again to all the researchers in our group who have provided so much great information.  I will include all of your names and contributions with the submission of the article to Ryan, and if he accepts it he will perhaps recognize everyone in a footnote who is not mentioned in the article itself.

Larry

Cc:
Sent: Friday December 18 2020 11:59:29AM

From the Troy Record; Troy, New York; January 15, 1965.

Inline image

._,_

--
Larry Maupin

Jim Jones

Larry
I should have included the following picture with the info I sent this morning.
As you can see “Big Sister” followed Pepper Young Family at 8:15
walla-walla-union-bulletin-dec-26-1965-p-13

Walla Walla Union Bulletin

26 Dec 1965, Walla Walla, Washington

If you need any more info (there is a lot on Pepper Young’s Family) I be glad to research it for you.

jj

Sent: Wednesday, December 16, 2020 4:31 PM

Larry

Cc:

--
Larry Maupin

Larry Maupin

Thank you Jim.  I will send a copy of this message along with the article when I submit it to Ryan in January.  The second link has an enlargement that I think will look very good as an illustration.  

Sometimes I wish that a local station here would air just one-half hour of old-time radio soap operas five days a week.  8:00 and 8:15pm would be fine with me, and I would try never to miss one.

Larry

Cc:
Sent: Friday December 18 2020 6:06:41PM

Larry
I should have included the following picture with the info I sent this morning.
As you can see “Big Sister” followed Pepper Young Family at 8:15
walla-walla-union-bulletin-dec-26-1965-p-13

Walla Walla Union Bulletin

26 Dec 1965, Walla Walla, Washington

If you need any more info (there is a lot on Pepper Young’s Family) I be glad to research it for you.

jj

blank.png

Larry

Cc:

--
Larry Maupin

--
Larry Maupin

Jim Jones

Larry
One last item. The following listing is from Feb 02. (I have some from Jan). This indicates the shows were broadcast for the entire year. The previous listing was from Dec.
Also, note: these shows were broadcast on ABC, but the Walla Walla broadcasts were on CBS.

Pittsfield Berkshire Eagle

02 Feb 1965, Pittsfield, Massachusetts,

jj

Larry

Cc:

--
Larry Maupin