Topics

Radio Memories

Larry Maupin

I have received permission to post a message about Ted Davenport's Buyers' Group.  Apparently our Purchasing Group subscribes to 4 memberships, so members of that group will already be acquainted with it.

The good news is that you can join it without having to submit a resume or undergo a background check.  The cost to belong is $35 per month.  Members receive 18 hours of old-time radio shows every month, some of which is almost always new material that has never before been cataloged or circulated.

Here are a couple of examples: (1) Ted has acquired at least 12 episodes of Big Sister and 12 of Pepper Young's Family that were broadcast in 1965.  I think that more may be on the way, but he is releasing them to his Buyers' Group over a period of time; (2) He just informed me that he has acquired all the transcription discs of Young Widder Brown.  He says that all shows will be direct from disc and in wav files.  "Some will be uncirculated, and all will be of pristine sound quality."  Soap opera fans will like this because most of the existing episodes of Young Widder Brown are old mp3s, have been stripped of music and commercials and are of poor sound quality.  When Ted digitizes a show, he removes commercials but leaves the music in.  Also, I have found that most of his soap opera episodes are full length, not stripped down to 9 or 10 minutes as the old mp3s are.  This is by no means to imply that Ted only releases OTR soap operas to his Buyers' Group.  Far from it.

Also a note about his Radio Memories website (radiomemories.com).  Ted is in the process of digitizing 25,000 cassettes and placing their content on CD-Rom discs.  To view them you just enter the above address, click on "Enter Website." and then on CD-Roms.  You will see all the series listed in alphabetical order.  I am a regular customer and have found the sound quality of his CDs and most of his cassettes to be excellent.  He can be contacted at tedotr52@....

One last comment.  He is a friendly person and takes orders over the phone.  I ask you, what could be more in the spirit of old-time radio than a dealer who still takes orders over the telephone?

Happy holidays to everyone!

Larry,
Do you know the air date and time and number of shows in total for Young Widder Brown.  I am only missing that for the entry for that show..

On Monday, December 28, 2020, 9:09:09 AM CST, Larry Maupin <lmaupin@...> wrote:

[...]

Rick,
I do not have that information.  What Ted told me is that a collector who has all the transcription discs of Young Widder Brown will be sending him 5 hours of episodes every month until Ted has received them all.  If you know Ted, you might ask him if he knows the air dates, times and number of shows and I think he will provide them if he has them.  I would very much like to see such a list also.