Radio Playhouse

Larry Maupin

Hello to everyone.  I just attempted to find "Radio Playhouse" in the OTRR Library collection and did not see it under the letter 'R'.  There is a newer way to search in which you type in the title, and when Walden first posted about the series several weeks ago that link was included and I found the series right away.

Will someone please post a link to the library collection that will allow me to locate the series by just typing in the title?

Thank you.

peterjaybird@...

On Friday, February 5, 2021, 10:45:38 AM EST, Larry Maupin <lmaupin@...> wrote:

Hello to everyone.  I just attempted to find "Radio Playhouse" in the OTRR Library collection and did not see it under the letter 'R'.  There is a newer way to search in which you type in the title, and when Walden first posted about the series several weeks ago that link was included and I found the series right away.

Will someone please post a link to the library collection that will allow me to locate the series by just typing in the title?

Thank you.

Thank you Pete!  I would never have thought to look under "AFRS," but your link leads right to the episodes.  This will let me get started on the article right away.

It's listed under "AFRS Radio Playhouse"

Cheers,

Pete

On Friday, February 5, 2021, 10:45:38 AM EST, Larry Maupin <lmaupin@...> wrote:

Hello to everyone.  I just attempted to find "Radio Playhouse" in the OTRR Library collection and did not see it under the letter 'R'.  There is a newer way to search in which you type in the title, and when Walden first posted about the series several weeks ago that link was included and I found the series right away.

Will someone please post a link to the library collection that will allow me to locate the series by just typing in the title?

Thank you.

peterjaybird@...

Hi Larry,

I just sampled a couple of the Radio Playhouse shows (#1 & #149).  They are comprised of:

1. Faces of Love
2) Author's Studio (Vanity Fair)
3 The Little Things in Life
4) To Have & to Hold

No program name is announced, although it's broadcast over the "Serial Network (DCA Productions[?]).

Cheers,

Pete

On Friday, February 5, 2021, 12:48:50 PM EST, Larry Maupin <lmaupin@...> wrote:

Thank you Pete!  I would never have thought to look under "AFRS," but your link leads right to the episodes.  This will let me get started on the article right away.

It's listed under "AFRS Radio Playhouse"

Cheers,

Pete
On Friday, February 5, 2021, 10:45:38 AM EST, Larry Maupin <lmaupin@...> wrote:

Hello to everyone.  I just attempted to find "Radio Playhouse" in the OTRR Library collection and did not see it under the letter 'R'.  There is a newer way to search in which you type in the title, and when Walden first posted about the series several weeks ago that link was included and I found the series right away.

Will someone please post a link to the library collection that will allow me to locate the series by just typing in the title?

Thank you.

Hi Pete,

I also noticed the lack of titles for all except about three episodes of Radio Playhouse, but that should not be a problem in writing the article.  Broadcast dates are listed, which will be helpful.  One thing you may have experienced, as I did, is that many of the programs just start right in without an introduction.  One begins with people talking inside a hospital, so I assume that was an episode of the series dealing with doctors and their wives.  What I hope to locate is enough full length programs (a few are about 50-minutes long) so that each of the four serials can be identified, mined for content, and summarized.

Best regards,

It's listed under "AFRS Radio Playhouse"

Cheers,

Pete
On Friday, February 5, 2021, 10:45:38 AM EST, Larry Maupin <lmaupin@...> wrote:

Hello to everyone.  I just attempted to find "Radio Playhouse" in the OTRR Library collection and did not see it under the letter 'R'.  There is a newer way to search in which you type in the title, and when Walden first posted about the series several weeks ago that link was included and I found the series right away.

Will someone please post a link to the library collection that will allow me to locate the series by just typing in the title?

Thank you.

So, I looked and I have 30 eps of Radio Playhouse in Flac and Mp3 format.  The bit rate is 256.  Is the official title Radio Playhouse, but released under the aegis of AFRS?  Also are there titles available?

On Friday, February 5, 2021, 1:27:01 PM CST, Larry Maupin <lmaupin@...> wrote:

[...]

Rick, I think that is the official title and that it may have been picked up by AFRS after or during its roughly six-month run on the Mutual Broadcasting Network. I am still trying to sort out the facts about that.

I only see about three episodes with titles in the OTRR Library collection.  Radio Playhouse is the umbrella under which the four 15-minute series are huddled together.  I don't think their episodes have titles either.

It's listed under "AFRS Radio Playhouse"

Cheers,

Pete
On Friday, February 5, 2021, 10:45:38 AM EST, Larry Maupin <lmaupin@...> wrote:

Hello to everyone.  I just attempted to find "Radio Playhouse" in the OTRR Library collection and did not see it under the letter 'R'.  There is a newer way to search in which you type in the title, and when Walden first posted about the series several weeks ago that link was included and I found the series right away.

Will someone please post a link to the library collection that will allow me to locate the series by just typing in the title?

Thank you.

Michael Hingson

Interesting. I just looked at my collection and found two shows entitled Radio Playhouse AFRS from 1946. Not sure this is relevant except that there is indeed an earlier Radio Playhouse.

Best Regards,

Michael Hingson

Rick, I think that is the official title and that it may have been picked up by AFRS after or during its roughly six-month run on the Mutual Broadcasting Network. I am still trying to sort out the facts about that.

I only see about three episodes with titles in the OTRR Library collection.  Radio Playhouse is the umbrella under which the four 15-minute series are huddled together.  I don't think their episodes have titles either.

It's listed under "AFRS Radio Playhouse"

Index of /OTRRLib/Library Files/A Series/AFRS Radio Playhouse

Cheers,

Pete

On Friday, February 5, 2021, 10:45:38 AM EST, Larry Maupin <lmaupin@...> wrote:

Hello to everyone.  I just attempted to find "Radio Playhouse" in the OTRR Library collection and did not see it under the letter 'R'.  There is a newer way to search in which you type in the title, and when Walden first posted about the series several weeks ago that link was included and I found the series right away.

Will someone please post a link to the library collection that will allow me to locate the series by just typing in the title?

Thank you.

Bob Stepno

Here is a trick you might find useful if you can't quite find a section at the otrr library site... or some other websites.

Go to Google.cim to use it as a search engine, put the word "site:", with a colon, before any world wide web address, followed by a space and a phrase in quotation marks, and Google will search that entire website for the words you are looking for.

Sometimes it works better than the Search command at the site itself, especially with some newspaper websites... which annoys the hell out of me, since I worked for one of the first news websites and wrote my PhD dissertation about the team developing another one. They should have good search engines, but they don't.

Anyhow, here is how the search looks if you want to find out whether the phrase "Radio Playhouse" is anywhere on the OTRR Library site:

site:otrrlibrary.org "radio playhouse"

I don't know for sure whether groups io will pass this version through as a clickable link.

https://www.google.com/search?q=site%3Aotrrlibrary.org+"radio+playhouse"&oq=site%3Aotrrlibrary.org+"radio+playhouse"

Paul Kornman

OTRR has an improved interface to the library which is accessible through the main page (otrr.org) or you can use the direct link:

https://www.otrr.org/OTRRLibrary/otrrlibrary.html

It has an autocomplete feature - start typing part of the name and all possible matches will show up.

Added features:
In Table mode, you can sort the results by Title, Date, Episode Number, Time or Size.
You can also search the entire Library by Episode Title.

- Paul Kornman

Larry Maupin

I did find some beginning with AFRS in the OTRR Library, and they probably were from 1946.  The series in 1975-76 was carried over the Mutual network.

[...]

Thank you for the information Bob.  I would like to know where you went to graduate school.  I went to Ohio State, and the title of my dissertation is something like "The Influence of George Granville, Lord Landsdowne, On Other Writers of the Restoration and Early Eighteenth-Century" (it has been so long that I have forgotten the exact wording).  Granville penned the following not quite immortal lines:

      "The day that she was born, the Cyprian Queen
      Had like to have died through envy and through spleen.
      The Graces in a hurry left the skies
      To have the Honour to attend her eyes.
       And Love, despairing in her Heart a Place
       Must needs take up its lodging in her Face."

I am going to try the method you describe when searching for newspaper articles about old-time radio programs.

[...]

Per the NYT, July 12th, 1975:

Daytime Soap Operas on Radio Return to WOR, 14 Other Spots

The daytime soap opera, which disappeared from radio about 15 years ago, will return for an hour a day Aug. 4, on a new independent network that will include WOR‐AM here.

The hour, called “Radio Playhouse,” will consist of four 15‐minute continuing dramas, including a serialization of a famous novel or play, the first of which will be Thackeray's “Vanity Fair.” The other segments will be fairly typical of the soap‐opera form.

DCA Productions, which is handling the arrangements, has thus far lined up stations in 15 cities for the programs and three national advertisers. The programs will be produced here and make use of writers and actors who emerged when drama was part of radio.

Playing principal roles will be Dolores Sutton, Joan Lorring, William Redfield, Mason Adams and Peg Lynch. Miss Lynch will also be head writer of one of the shows. Executive producer of the drama hour will be Dick Cox.

The introduction is not at the beginning, but pops up a minute of so into the audio.  I know that sounds crazy ..... The "AFRTS" appears to be incorrect.

How do you feel about creating a second set, split into individual programmes, like:

RP 1975-08-04  Faces of Love 001 [name for 1st show]
RP 1975-08-04  Author's Studio 001 [name for 1st show]
RP 1975-08-04  YLTIL 001 [name for 1st show]
 etc.

That would create 4 sets with continuous episodes that would be much easier to listen to.

Cheers,

Pete

On Saturday, February 6, 2021, 11:38:29 AM EST, Larry Maupin <lmaupin@...> wrote:

[...]

That is a very well written and informative article.  Thank you for posting it.

I have also noticed that in some of the episodes there is no introduction and the first thing you hear is someone speaking in the middle of a sentence.  And I agree that the "AFRTS" refers to an earlier series that happens to have the same name.

Regarding your suggestion about creating separate sets, I think some of that has already been done.  I found a large number of episodes of "The Little Things in Life" in the OTRR Library under that title, and about 14 or 15 of "Faces of Love" and "To Have and To Hold" under their titles.  Did not, however, see any under "Actor's Studio."

If you want to take this on as a project, I will be glad to help on it.  The number of episodes of "Faces of Love" and To Have and To Hold" are small enough that they could be combined into one curated collection.  You can be the curator!