Topics

Request For Assistance

Larry Maupin

Hello to all members.  The editor of an OTR newsletter asked me to submit an informational piece on the OTRR Group.  He accepted it, but requested that I expand it to include the following:

(1) When and how did the group originate?

(2) How many members are there at this time?  The most recent number I noticed was 168.

(3) Is there an interesting story about a particular series that has been preserved?

(4) What are some of the obstacles that the group has had to overcome?

(5) What interesting things were learned along the way?

I think his best question (and one that had not occurred to me) is the one about the history of a particular series.  The first one that came to mind for me is David Oxford's certification project on The CBS Radio Mystery Theater, but that is a post-1962 series, and it might be better to discuss one from the OTR era.  Does anyone have a really fascination story about how the group acquired rare or previously uncirculated episodes of a series and created a maintained set with them?  Or what is your most exciting story about being involved in a project with the group, especially as it pertains to one specific series?

Thank you!

Mike Thomas

Hi Larry, that 168 isn't true. I would go more with the number or readership of our own newsletter.

The recent change to io from yahoo has skewed the numbers.

That being said....active members versus others are way different to be sure.

On Fri, Feb 12, 2021 at 7:57 AM, Larry Maupin
<lmaupin@...> wrote:
[...]

Hi Mike.  I will just use Ryan's estimate of 262 as the number of current members.  In the piece, I am including a section on volunteer opportunities within the group and stating that new members are encouraged to become involved in group projects.

No one has yet posted a message with a story about a particular project that he or she found exciting and that can be shared with prospective new members.  If any show up before noon tomorrow I will try to include all of them.  Otherwise I may just share my feelings upon first learning of this group's existence.  I thought it must have been formed just for people exactly like me, and I was right.  The  emotional experience was like that invoked by the final lines of Keats' "On First Looking Into Chapman's Homer":

     Then felt I like some watcher of the skies
     When a new planet swims into his ken.
     Or like stout Cortez when with eagle eyes
     He stared at the Pacific
     And all his men
     Gazed at each other in a wild surmise..
     Silent, upon a peak in Darien.

Maybe I will look up that poem, correct any mistakes I made in quoting from memory, and submit it if no other members post anything on the topic by tomorrow.

<lmaupin@...> wrote:
[...]

John Nicholson

Larry,
   Don't forget to mention there are no dues and the newsletter is free. If you haven't already noted, you might mention the Purchsesing Group is only $5 a month. You've probably got these covered; just thought I'd mention it. Thanks.
   John Nicholson

<lmaupin@...> wrote:
[...]

John,

I did mention that every member receives the newsletter, but not that membership is free.  So I will include that fact and also mention the Purchasing Group.  Thank you for reminding me.

<lmaupin@...> wrote:
[...]

jackies@tularosa.net

Dear Larry
I want to let you know how much I appreciate all that you do in the group

Until I found the group the only shows I had had to be bought by catalog, and they were so expensive. Living on a VA disability pension and my husband receiving a Service Connected pension did not allow for buying them other than on holidays. I know I had bought my husband a collection on Football programs and ended up to someone who was part of the leadership of the group because my husband just would not listen to them. If he could not watch it he would not listen to old ones. I thought they were better than the games today.

I have been able to get so many more shows through the group and shows that I have not heard of before. I know that if I am looking for something all I have to ask on the group. I thank you for that.

Sincerely Yours
Jackie Schlageter

Larry Maupin

Dear Jackie,

Thank you for your kind words, and I am so glad you did join the group.  I will include your last paragraph in the article because it describes one of the benefits of being a member so well.

Best wishes,

[...]

Larry, it might also be worth mentioning that the OTRR did not start out as an in-person group; it has always been an online-only group. Though, of course, members have met in person before. The closest I think that we've ever had to an in-person gathering was at a couple of the Cincinnati conventions in the late 2000s when we had a whole table reserved at the convention's big meal and Jim had a table in the dealer's room at least one year where he gave away certified set CDs and OTRR shirts, magnets, etc. I believe the other groups still in existence - SPERDVAC, REPS, MWOTR, MARE, etc. were started as in-person groups and still have strong regional presences even though they all have members from across the country.

On Friday, February 12, 2021, 11:33:20 PM CST, jackies@... via groups.io <jackies@...> wrote:

[...]

Thank you Ryan.  I will mention that OTRR has always been an on-line group.  I am including instructions on how to join the group by sending you an email, and am indicating that applicants are encouraged to state their interests in old-time radio and ways in which they might like to volunteer.

[...]

Walden Hughes

Ryan is correct if we look at the old model of clubs.  Right now

SPeRDVAC is the largest, then REPS, and MWOTRC.  SPERDVAC and REPS still will host conventions once it is safe to meet live again.  Both REPS and MWOTRC are meeting monthly on-line via zoom.  Take care,

Walden

[...]

Larry:
When I saved up the money I will join the other group where we get the new sets. I just have to save my money and right now all my saved money is going to our 50th anniversary celebration in April.

Love
Jackie

Scott Mahan

I just sent in $60 for your 2021 membership in OTRRPG.

When I saved up the money I will join the other group where we get the new
sets. I just have to save my money and right now all my saved money is
going to our 50th anniversary celebration in April.

Love
Jackie

Larry Maupin

Hi Jackie,

That sounds good.  Congratulations on being married for half a century!

Best wishes,

When I saved up the money I will join the other group where we get the
new sets. I just have to save my money and right now all my saved money
is going to our 50th anniversary celebration in April.

Love
Jackie

Scott, that is so sweet!  I don't think your gift could have been better bestowed.  One of Jackie's good qualities is that she actually reads posts without automatically deleting them.  Sometimes that pays off in unexpected ways.

I just sent in $60 for your 2021 membership in OTRRPG.

When I saved up the money I will join the other group where we get the new
sets. I just have to save my money and right now all my saved money is
going to our 50th anniversary celebration in April.

Love
Jackie

Scott Mahan

Help those who need it.

On 2021-02-12 10:57 a.m., Larry Maupin wrote:
I think his best question (and one that had not occurred to me) is the one about the history of a particular series.  The first one that came to mind for me is David Oxford's certification project on The CBS Radio Mystery Theater, but that is a post-1962 series, and it might be better to discuss one from the OTR era.  Does anyone have a really fascination story about how the group acquired rare or previously uncirculated episodes of a series and created a maintained set with them?  Or what is your most exciting story about being involved in a project with the group, especially as it pertains to one specific series?

My most interesting (to me) story about being involved with a project is the W. Lee O'Daniel & His Hillbilly Boys project.  I hadn't heard of them before Jim put out his call for help on this project, although I had seen "O Brother Where Art Thou" which featured a character based loosely on W. Lee O'Daniel.  Researching the project gave me the opportunity to discover Western Swing music, especially from around the 1930's which was when The Hillbilly Boys were active.  It also gave me the opportunity to delve into the world of "Border Radio" (since W. Lee went south of the border to avoid restrictions on advertising in the States).  One of the most interesting moments for me in researching the project was when I got in touch with the son of one of the Hillbilly Boys who went to Washington D.C. with W. Lee when he was elected to the Senate.

Larry Maupin

Geoff,  thank you for sharing such an interesting experience.  The phrase "Border Radio" has a nice ring to it, just as "Western Swing" does, and you obviously enjoyed working on the project.

I remember listening to a few episodes featuring Pappy and the boys many years ago, and enjoyed the energy they put into the songs and how good the commercials were.

On 2021-02-16 9:14 a.m., Larry Maupin wrote:
Geoff,  thank you for sharing such an interesting experience.  The phrase "Border Radio" has a nice ring to it, just as "Western Swing" does, and you obviously enjoyed working on the project.
"Border Radio" came into being because regulators were starting to clamp down on some of the wild claims that were being made in advertisements on the radio, and the fast and free days of early radio where the power of a station's signal and its number on the dial weren't regulated were coming to a close.  By moving a transmitter into Mexico, the "illegal" signals could cover a much wider geographical range, in some cases overpowering local stations as far north as Canada.  Border Radio was powerful - think of Wolfman Jack.

"Western Swing" was a marriage of the Swing music that was popular in the cities and the Country music that was popular in rural areas.  As you say, it had a lot of energy to it, and it still thrives to this day.

As an aside, W. Lee O'Daniel was originally a salesman / spokesperson for Light Crust Dough flour (I believe), and he had another band, The Light Crust Doughboys, doing Western Swing music.  In the early '30's, he was fired from that job, and he created his own company, Hillbilly Flour, and The Hillbilly Boys to promote it.  The Light Crust Doughboys were a very popular band (lots of recordings), and they had their own radio show.  I don't remember if OTRRG managed to obtain any of their programmes for a complementary distribution (or as an extra to the Hillbilly Boys distro).  Might be a thought for the future...

BTW, in my research of the Hillbilly Boys, I found a Western Swing site which was uploading the various shows that made their way to the distribution, and I know that the site owner had originally copied the shows in WAV format and then encoded to MP3 for his uploads.  I put Jim in touch with him, and I believe that Jim managed to get WAV copies of the shows that were then re-encoded into the high-bitrate files on the distribution.  Does anyone know what happened to the WAV files?  Does OTRRG still have them somewhere?

Alan Kline

Google “Dr. Brinkley” and “KFKB” to learn a lot about the beginnings of border radio. John R. Brinkley was a quack “doctor” whose license for KFKB was revoked. Whereupon, he set up a “blaster” in Mexico, aimed at Kansas. He’s one of the reasons for the FCC regs which to this day require Commission approval to deliver programming across the border for delivery to the US.

Alan

On 2021-02-16 9:14 a.m., Larry Maupin wrote:
Geoff, thank you for sharing such an interesting experience. The phrase "Border Radio" has a nice ring to it, just as "Western Swing" does, and you obviously enjoyed working on the project.
"Border Radio" came into being because regulators were starting to clamp down on some of the wild claims that were being made in advertisements on the radio, and the fast and free days of early radio where the power of a station's signal and its number on the dial weren't regulated were coming to a close. By moving a transmitter into Mexico, the "illegal" signals could cover a much wider geographical range, in some cases overpowering local stations as far north as Canada. Border Radio was powerful - think of Wolfman Jack.

Alan Kline

“...to deliver programming across the border for BROADCAST to the US.”