Topics

Request for Discussion on "Radio's Missing Masters"

Larry Maupin

I have now posted episode summaries on 10 of the 40 shows in the set and need to take a break for a few days to work on another commitment.  A couple of thoughts have occurred to me, and I would like to share them and invite comments on the subject.

First, shortly after I began writing summaries a member posted a message stating that she thinks most if not all of the 40 episodes are already in the Singles & Doubles Collection.  I am inclined to agree with her.  Many are in the S&D set, and a number of others can be located in the OTRR Library Collection by clicking on the letter with which the first word of the series begins. 

So I have a suggestion.  There does not seem to be a need to digitize these episodes again except possibly for a few that need better encodes.  Even those will not need to be digitized if better encodes can be found.

I think the project can be brought to a relatively swift conclusion if a group member with the skills will aggregate the episodes into one set and make them available to one of our librarians who can then place them in the collection under the letter 'R' with the title "Radio's Missing Masters."  That would make all 40 of the episodes available to any OTR enthusiast in the world who has a computer with a sound card.

I assume that Paul Kornman and John Tierney (I think your first name is John-- sorry if I got that wrong) read these messages.  During the next few days I will look for messages from any member who is willing and able to aggregate as many of the 40 episodes as he or she can find, and also messages from Paul or John indicating a willingness to make the episodes available in one location as a group within the OTRR Library collection.  If no messages are posted on this subject during the next five days I will assume that we might as well abandon the project due to lack of interest.

There are two other possibilities.  One is that Ryan will agree to upload the 40 episodes as a set to the Internet Archive as he has recently done with two other sets.  There has been some discussion here about a potential copywrite infringement issue, so Ryan is the appropriate person to make the decision about placing the set on the Archive.

The other is that David will want to distro the set to the Purchasing Group, in which case all the episodes will eventually become available to the public at large.

In conclusion, I think the project can still reach a happy outcome if Paul, John, Ryan or David wishes to continue it and even if another member is willing to aggregate the episodes into one set and share a link to them with all other members of both groups.  I will not post again on this subject for the next five days except in reply to any other member who does so.  If no one does, I will assume we can all move on to something else that members find interesting and important enough to pursue or that all of us will just continue to work on ongoing projects in which we are involved.

In the interest of clarity, I repeat that I would especially like to see messages from Paul, John, Ryan and David because I think they are the most likely members to keep the "Radio's Missing Masters" project going.  Otherwise, any member willing to aggregate the shows into one set and share them with all other members can bring the project to a successful conclusion within the groups even if the episodes are not made available as such to the world at large,

Larry 

--
Larry Maupin

Peter N

I have finished capturing the set, and just need to split the files into episodes (each tape contains one and a half episodes).  I'm not familiar with the process of making sets available to IA or the group, so I would appreciate if somebody who knows what they are doing will take over.  I can make the files available in about a week, I think.

Peter

Peter N

Each tape contains 3 episodes (not 1-1/2 as I wrote earlier).  The middle episode is split in half between the two sides of the tape.

Peter

B. J. Watkins

Here is my opinion on the "Missing Masters" set. To call this group of shows Missing now in 2020 is without reason. Most have been available and circulating in open reel collections for 30 or 40 years. All but one are in the OTRR library. I would like to see upgrades made of those. As for the Escape episode it would be better to put all four of the NBC Escapes together in the library under E. 

Peter, did you digitize them as wav, flac or mp3? If mp3 what encode?

From: main@OldTimeRadioResearchers.groups.io <main@OldTimeRadioResearchers.groups.io> on behalf of Larry Maupin <lmaupin@...>
Sent: Saturday, August 22, 2020 6:50 AM
To: 'OTRRPurchasingGroup@OldTimeRadioResearchers.groups.io' <OTRRPurchasingGroup@OldTimeRadioResearchers.groups.io>; 'Main@OldTimeRadioResearchers.groups.io' <Main@OldTimeRadioResearchers.groups.io>
Subject: [OldTimeRadioResearchers] Request for Discussion on "Radio's Missing Masters"

I have now posted episode summaries on 10 of the 40 shows in the set and need to take a break for a few days to work on another commitment.  A couple of thoughts have occurred to me, and I would like to share them and invite comments on the subject.

First, shortly after I began writing summaries a member posted a message stating that she thinks most if not all of the 40 episodes are already in the Singles & Doubles Collection.  I am inclined to agree with her.  Many are in the S&D set, and a number of others can be located in the OTRR Library Collection by clicking on the letter with which the first word of the series begins. 

So I have a suggestion.  There does not seem to be a need to digitize these episodes again except possibly for a few that need better encodes.  Even those will not need to be digitized if better encodes can be found.

I think the project can be brought to a relatively swift conclusion if a group member with the skills will aggregate the episodes into one set and make them available to one of our librarians who can then place them in the collection under the letter 'R' with the title "Radio's Missing Masters."  That would make all 40 of the episodes available to any OTR enthusiast in the world who has a computer with a sound card.

I assume that Paul Kornman and John Tierney (I think your first name is John-- sorry if I got that wrong) read these messages.  During the next few days I will look for messages from any member who is willing and able to aggregate as many of the 40 episodes as he or she can find, and also messages from Paul or John indicating a willingness to make the episodes available in one location as a group within the OTRR Library collection.  If no messages are posted on this subject during the next five days I will assume that we might as well abandon the project due to lack of interest.

There are two other possibilities.  One is that Ryan will agree to upload the 40 episodes as a set to the Internet Archive as he has recently done with two other sets.  There has been some discussion here about a potential copywrite infringement issue, so Ryan is the appropriate person to make the decision about placing the set on the Archive.

The other is that David will want to distro the set to the Purchasing Group, in which case all the episodes will eventually become available to the public at large.

In conclusion, I think the project can still reach a happy outcome if Paul, John, Ryan or David wishes to continue it and even if another member is willing to aggregate the episodes into one set and share a link to them with all other members of both groups.  I will not post again on this subject for the next five days except in reply to any other member who does so.  If no one does, I will assume we can all move on to something else that members find interesting and important enough to pursue or that all of us will just continue to work on ongoing projects in which we are involved.

In the interest of clarity, I repeat that I would especially like to see messages from Paul, John, Ryan and David because I think they are the most likely members to keep the "Radio's Missing Masters" project going.  Otherwise, any member willing to aggregate the shows into one set and share them with all other members can bring the project to a successful conclusion within the groups even if the episodes are not made available as such to the world at large,

Larry 

--
Larry Maupin

Larry Maupin

Thank you for the update Peter.  If you read Barbara's message, it seems as if the two of you might be able to work this out together to make all the episodes accessible to all members of both groups in one set.  That would be a great outcome.

Larry

-----------------------------------------

To: main@OldTimeRadioResearchers.groups.io
Cc:
Sent: Saturday August 22 2020 11:22:21AM
Subject: Re: [OldTimeRadioResearchers] Request for Discussion on "Radio's Missing Masters"

I have finished capturing the set, and just need to split the files into episodes (each tape contains one and a half episodes).  I'm not familiar with the process of making sets available to IA or the group, so I would appreciate if somebody who knows what they are doing will take over.  I can make the files available in about a week, I think.

Peter

--
Larry Maupin

Larry Maupin

Barbara, I agree that some of the episodes need upgrades, and perhaps the digitizations Peter is working on will accomplish that.  If you have a better name for the set than "Radio's Missing Masters" perhaps we should use it, although I found the original name so fascinating that I immediately thought I would like to hear all the episodes.  As for grouping the four Escape episodes either as part of the re-named collection or under E, if you eliminate "Escape From August" then you break up the integrity of the set, so I would prefer to see it remain with the other 39.

Thanks to you and Peter both for such thoughtful posts and for caring enough to share your ideas with all other members.  If you have more to say on the subject I would like to hear it.  

Larry

To: "main@OldTimeRadioResearchers.groups.io"
Cc:
Sent: Saturday August 22 2020 11:38:43AM
Subject: Re: [OldTimeRadioResearchers] Request for Discussion on "Radio's Missing Masters"

Here is my opinion on the "Missing Masters" set. To call this group of shows Missing now in 2020 is without reason. Most have been available and circulating in open reel collections for 30 or 40 years. All but one are in the OTRR library. I would like to see upgrades made of those. As for the Escape episode it would be better to put all four of the NBC Escapes together in the library under E. 

Peter, did you digitize them as wav, flac or mp3? If mp3 what encode?

From: main@OldTimeRadioResearchers.groups.io <main@OldTimeRadioResearchers.groups.io> on behalf of Larry Maupin <lmaupin@...>
Sent: Saturday, August 22, 2020 6:50 AM
To: 'OTRRPurchasingGroup@OldTimeRadioResearchers.groups.io' <OTRRPurchasingGroup@OldTimeRadioResearchers.groups.io>; 'Main@OldTimeRadioResearchers.groups.io' <Main@OldTimeRadioResearchers.groups.io>
Subject: [OldTimeRadioResearchers] Request for Discussion on "Radio's Missing Masters"

Larry 

--
Larry Maupin

--
Larry Maupin

Peter N

B.J.,

They were captured using Audacity, so currently they are in Audacity projects.  It looks like I can export to FLAC, WAV, MP3, OGG and a few other formats.  What is the preferred method?

Peter

jackies@tularosa.net

Peter:

I would prefer MP3 but whatever is easiest for you to put them in is OK
with me.

Sincerely

Jackie

B. J. Watkins

Since they are original source material I would prefer flac or wav. Those could easily be converted to mp3 for those who wish.

From: main@OldTimeRadioResearchers.groups.io <main@OldTimeRadioResearchers.groups.io> on behalf of Peter N via groups.io <pnuro@...>
Sent: Saturday, August 22, 2020 10:14 AM
To: main@OldTimeRadioResearchers.groups.io <main@OldTimeRadioResearchers.groups.io>

B.J.,

They were captured using Audacity, so currently they are in Audacity projects.  It looks like I can export to FLAC, WAV, MP3, OGG and a few other formats.  What is the preferred method?

Peter

Damon Fries

Me too … :-)

On 22 Aug 2020, at 19:48, B. J. Watkins <kinseyfan@...> wrote:

Since they are original source material I would prefer flac or wav. Those could easily be converted to mp3 for those who wish.

From: main@OldTimeRadioResearchers.groups.io <main@OldTimeRadioResearchers.groups.io> on behalf of Peter N via groups.io <pnuro@...>
Sent: Saturday, August 22, 2020 10:14 AM
To: main@OldTimeRadioResearchers.groups.io <main@OldTimeRadioResearchers.groups.io>

B.J.,

Peter

Allan Foster

I may be out of line here, but does it make sense to so obviously copy a fairly widely available commercial product and give it away, especially if we use the same name for the set?  Since these are mostly already available it doesn't seem to make sense to create a potential problem for ourselves by pissing off sellers of the product.  I know we've had go-arounds in the past with people who take our certified sets and put them out as their own.  Just saying...

Allan

On Saturday, August 22, 2020, 8:50:56 AM CDT, Larry Maupin <lmaupin@...> wrote:

Larry 

--
Larry Maupin

Larry Maupin

This is a lively and interesting discussion, and the best element of it to me is that Peter, Jackie, Barbara and Damon all seem interested enough in the project to want it to go forward.

Allan, I will tell you where I stand on making the best possible encodes available in one set at least to share among all members of our groups.  If Radio Spirits is still selling the set and deriving income from it, I would not want to deprive it of customers by making the set available to the public at large.  If it holds the copywrite and is no longer selling the set, perhaps we still should not upload it to the Internet Archive or even aggregate the 40 titles in one place in the OTRR Library collection.  I am content at this point to abandon any idea of doing either of those things depending, of course, on how other members feel who are willing to express an opinion.  

So I agree with you Allan in principle but continue to think that there is no harm in sharing the 40 episodes among ourselves if they can be placed in one set where all will be available with a couple of clicks of a mouse.

Larry----------------------------------------

To: "OTRRPurchasingGroup@OldTimeRadioResearchers.groups.io", "Main@OldTimeRadioResearchers.groups.io", "main@OldTimeRadioResearchers.groups.io"
Cc:
Sent: Saturday August 22 2020 1:56:02PM

I may be out of line here, but does it make sense to so obviously copy a fairly widely available commercial product and give it away, especially if we use the same name for the set?  Since these are mostly already available it doesn't seem to make sense to create a potential problem for ourselves by pissing off sellers of the product.  I know we've had go-arounds in the past with people who take our certified sets and put them out as their own.  Just saying...

Allan

Larry 

--
Larry Maupin

--
Larry Maupin

Paul Kornman

I am capable of copying episodes into another "directory" in the library, but I'd rather not.

I have tried to move all of the Singles and Doubles Files to their individual program's folders with the eventual removal of the "Singles and Doubles" as a category.

It seems like a feature that we could add to the Library Website would be a collection of "curated sets" or "playlists".

Any of our members could specify any list of episodes into a set, provide a description and then visitors could choose which sets to explore.This would be similar to the Public Playlist feature of HOTROD.

Id rather not muddy up the library with duplicate files (even if they're just shortcuts).

- Paul

Ian Grieve

I agree Allan.  Its hardly researching or preservation, its just plain copying someone elses work because we can.  I thought there was an agreement not to copy RS and RA sets.  It just continues to pull the OTRR reputation down.  Those companies need the sales to keep going and to afford to keep releasing NEW material, which is a benefit to the hobby.

Ian

------ Original Message ------
Sent: 23/08/2020 3:55:55 AM

Allan

Larry 

--
Larry Maupin

Ryan Ellett

I think Ian and Allan are on point here. In my opinion we are wise to avoid uploading a set of shows that has been previously released by Radio Spirits or Radio Archive. Even if all the recordings were our own from our own original sources, it's going to raise eyebrows and OTRR won't see any benefit from it. To my knowledge we have been at peace with these commercial groups for some time and I don't see any reason to rock the boat. I'm not naive enough to think that RA and RS material doesn't end up in our library or in our Maintained sets. Our reputation is smushy with the wider established hobby and improving it rests on creating high quality series sets, doing original research, and releasing new material with our purchasing group rather than replicating what others have already done.

Many members may enjoy "playlists" (a good term that Paul used in a separate response) created with links to various shows in the library or on Archive that could be posted in document files here, but creating a lot of such standalone sets for upload to IA doesn't really advance our core mission which has long been our Maintained sets with original research and improved - and even brand new - recordings that we add to these sets. 

My goal here is not to be a wet blanket but to really keep our volunteer energy focused on the projects that best fit with OTRR's historical mission, provide the best bang for our limited volunteer time, and further the interests of the wider hobby.

Ryan

Larry Maupin

Ryan, that is extremely well written, and as far as I am concerned conclusive.  Most of this latest group of comments have been negative about the project, and I regret ever having brought it up.  I am finished with it and will not post anything else about it except to answer any friendly comments that are directed to me.

Thanks to all members who have taken the time to post messages on the subject.

Larry  

Cc:
Sent: Saturday August 22 2020 7:58:17PM

I think Ian and Allan are on point here. In my opinion we are wise to avoid uploading a set of shows that has been previously released by Radio Spirits or Radio Archive. Even if all the recordings were our own from our own original sources, it's going to raise eyebrows and OTRR won't see any benefit from it. To my knowledge we have been at peace with these commercial groups for some time and I don't see any reason to rock the boat. I'm not naive enough to think that RA and RS material doesn't end up in our library or in our Maintained sets. Our reputation is smushy with the wider established hobby and improving it rests on creating high quality series sets, doing original research, and releasing new material with our purchasing group rather than replicating what others have already done.

Many members may enjoy "playlists" (a good term that Paul used in a separate response) created with links to various shows in the library or on Archive that could be posted in document files here, but creating a lot of such standalone sets for upload to IA doesn't really advance our core mission which has long been our Maintained sets with original research and improved - and even brand new - recordings that we add to these sets. 

My goal here is not to be a wet blanket but to really keep our volunteer energy focused on the projects that best fit with OTRR's historical mission, provide the best bang for our limited volunteer time, and further the interests of the wider hobby.

Ryan

--
Larry Maupin

Peter N

Ryan, thank you, well put.  I won't pursue this further.  I definitely want OTRR to continue working without interference from copyright issues.  In fact, I have bought dozens of sets from Radio Spirits myself, and want them to continue their fine work.  I did not mean to start a rift between members of the group, which I may have inadvertently started.  I value the work everyone here has done making OTR programs widely available.

Peter

ehrbek

Well said Ryan

Sent: Saturday, August 22, 2020 7:58 PM

I think Ian and Allan are on point here. In my opinion we are wise to avoid uploading a set of shows that has been previously released by Radio Spirits or Radio Archive. Even if all the recordings were our own from our own original sources, it's going to raise eyebrows and OTRR won't see any benefit from it. To my knowledge we have been at peace with these commercial groups for some time and I don't see any reason to rock the boat. I'm not naive enough to think that RA and RS material doesn't end up in our library or in our Maintained sets. Our reputation is smushy with the wider established hobby and improving it rests on creating high quality series sets, doing original research, and releasing new material with our purchasing group rather than replicating what others have already done.

My goal here is not to be a wet blanket but to really keep our volunteer energy focused on the projects that best fit with OTRR's historical mission, provide the best bang for our limited volunteer time, and further the interests of the wider hobby.

Ryan

Ian Grieve

Peter, there is no rift and no issue.  I know there are lots of audio in my collection that came the same way.  Sometimes we get caught up in the listening and hearing of the next show and forget consequences.  It is different for a high profile group, than a group of individuals.

Ian

------ Original Message ------
Sent: 23/08/2020 11:02:50 AM

Ryan, thank you, well put.  I won't pursue this further.  I definitely want OTRR to continue working without interference from copyright issues.  In fact, I have bought dozens of sets from Radio Spirits myself, and want them to continue their fine work.  I did not mean to start a rift between members of the group, which I may have inadvertently started.  I value the work everyone here has done making OTR programs widely available.

Peter

B. J. Watkins

I hope this doesn't mean we can't upgrade our Singles & Doubles collection.

Sent: Saturday, August 22, 2020 6:02 PM

Peter