Request for Fact-Checking Assistance

Larry Maupin

A number of fellow researchers have contributed important background information for the article I intend to submit to Ryan which will be entitled :"The 1965 Revival of Old-Time Radio."  I have started composing the first draft, and would like to ask the following questions of our sterling group of scholars, several of whom will be given credit in the body of the article:

1. Is it now the general consensus that the final year of old-time radio was 1962, not 1960?  If so, do you think any other series except Yours Truly, Johnny Dollar should be mentioned as having broadcast their final episode in 1962?

2. Does anyone know where radio station KEZU was located?

3. Brian Kavanaugh writes that there were radio stations in Glen Falls, New York and Rapid City, South Dakota that aired Big Sister and Pepper Young's Family in 1965.  I would like to know from Brian or anyone else the call letters of those stations.

4. I do not see in my notes the name and call letters and log of the radio station that aired the two soap operas during the evening.  Will the person who contributed that fact please resend it, including the time that each program was aired (I think it was 8:30 and 8:45)?

5. If anyone can locate newspaper logs that show broadcast times of the other old-time radio programs that were part of the 1965 revival (The Fat Man, Dear Dorothea Dix and Hollywood Talking) I would like to include those in the article.

I do think that the logs several members have contributed will make great visuals in the article.  Thanks again to Ryan Ellett, Randy Watts, Bob Pederson, Jim Jones, Joe Webb, Rick Davenport and others who have contributed such a wealth of material to be incorporated into the article.

If you have an answer to any of the above questions, just post it here or send it to me personally if you would prefer.

John Nicholson

I only know #1. In addition to Johnny Dollar, Suspense, Have Gun Will Travel, and Gunsmoke all aired their last episodes in 1962.

John

On Jan 7, 2021, at 11:59 AM, Larry Maupin <lmaupin@...> wrote:

[...]

Larry Gassman <larrygassman@...>

Actually, the last two shows to air episodes on September 30, 1962 were Suspense and Yours Truly, Johnny Dollar.

Have Gun, Will Travel left the air in 1960 and Gunsmoke in June of 1961.

Larry

[...]

Michael Hingson

Larry,

And I remember them well and still miss my Sunday evenings listening to those shows.

Best Regards,

Michael Hingson

[...]

Thank you John and Larry.  I just finished curating a collection of final episodes of old-time radio series, and I also have the last episode of Gunsmoke as June 19, 1961 and Have Gun, Will Travel as November 27, 1960.  I did, however, overlook Suspense and will mention it in the article along with Yours Truly, Johnny Dollar.

[...]

OTR Cat has an article on the subject...Here is the link

Labor ipse voluptas

On Thursday, January 7, 2021, 1:15:35 PM CST, Larry Maupin <lmaupin@...> wrote:

[...]

Walden Hughes

You still had a lot of day time radio going on.  Arthur godfrey was still on the air to 4-30-72.  The breakfast Club up to the end of 1968.  Art Linkletter  House Party was on in to the late 1960s.  How do you count NBC Monitor up to 1975.  Theater five in 1964,  Heart Beat Theater in to 1985.     You had the six month runs of day time soaps in the 1970s includeing Peg Lynch show.     Big John show No school in to 1982 on family radio.  UnShackle started   in 1950 and still on today.

[...]

Also, even though it started later you have NPR and Star Wars. There also is always Alien Worlds and other similar shows.

Best Regards,

Michael Hingson

[...]

bob_pedersen@...

WSET had Big Sister at 10 a.m. and Pepper Young at 10:15 a.m.;
WKTS had Pepper Young at 10:05 a.m.
KEZU had Pepper Young at 9:30 and Big Sister at 9:45.

Phil Becker

KEZU Was in Rapid City, South Dakota

[...]

chris antoniacci

In answer to question 2, KEZU was in Rapid City, South Dakota according to world radio history.com, one of three stations in that town.  KOTA and KRSD are the others.

Thanks for what appears to be a LOT of effort.

On Thursday, January 7, 2021, 3:40 PM, Phil Becker <phil@...> wrote:

[...]

Brian Kavanaugh

Some of this is in previous answers, but here's all the ones I've found, looking quickly through 1965 and 1966 newspapers.

WSET - Glens Falls, NY
WKTS - Sheboygan, WI
KEZU - Rapid City, SD
WKAT - Miami, FL
WXKW - Troy, NY
KSMM - Shakopee, MN
KDOT - Phoenix, AZ
CFAC - Calgary, AB Canada (1966)
WWJ - Detroit, MI (1966)

If you need more information and/or more years, let me know.

On Thu, Jan 7, 2021 at 11:59 AM Larry Maupin <lmaupin@...> wrote:
[...]

Scott Mahan

NBC aired “Democracy in America” in 1962. That might count. ABC had “Ask Eddie Cantor”.

[...]

Thank you Rick, Walden, Michael, Bob, Phil, Chris, Brian and Scott!  I am just now looking at emails for the first time in several hours, and expect a phone call from my daughter in 8 minutes.  There is so much great information in your posts, and much of it will definitely make its way into the article with proper credit given.

After the phone conversation is concluded I will respond to the messages as fully as possible, so please check your emails later this evening.

[...]

Thanks for setting me straight on there being only two shows. That was what I originally thought, but I read an article that stated the four shows and I repeated it without checking. Again, my thanks to Larry Gassman.

John

[...]

Rick,
Thank you for the link, and I would like to read the article.  The link leads to a message that reads "Sorry, OTRCAT.com is currently unavailable."  This is what I have seen for probably a year now when trying to access the site because a remarkably large number of people have posted messages indicating that it is still an active old-time radio dealer.  I think that the owner either died or went out of business without closing the website.  If you were able to read the article using that link, then maybe I have just been blocked from the site for some reason without knowing it.

[...]

curt5876

Larry,
Mine does the same until I drop off of the wifi. Then I'm able to access the site.

Curtis

On Thu, Jan 7, 2021, 17:19 Larry Maupin <lmaupin@...> wrote:
[...]

Walden, this is really interesting,  I remember listening to The Breakfast Club and Monitor while still in school, and I have quite a few of the 1972 Arthur Godfrey shows on a DVD.

I had no idea, however, that there was a six-month run of daytime soaps in the 1970s.  An article like the one I am working on now could probably be written on those.  Do you happen to have the names of the soap operas involved in those runs from the 1970s?  If they were reruns of earlier soap operas perhaps the episodes can be located.  I do not recall ever seeing a radio soap opera with a date as late as 1970, but that may just mean that none of them are available today.

[...]

Thank you Michael.  I will probably just draw the line at 1962 as far as referring to old-time radio series in the article that were aired prior to the 1965 revival, but I think I have heard an episode or two of Alien Worlds and liked it.