Request For Information

Larry Maupin

Happy Friday to everyone.

I am presently composing a brief article on the surviving soap opera episodes from November 24, 1960.  Walden Hughes has very kindly sent me episodes of The Right To Happiness, Ma Perkins, Young Dr. Malone and The Second Mrs. Burton that were broadcast that day.

There are two more with that date that I think may exist and that I would like to have if anyone will send them to me or tell me where to find them.  They are Whispering Streets and When a Girl Marries.  Walden sent me a Whispering Streets episode, but the sound has two programs running at the same time and I can't take notes on it.  If you have one that is audible throughout (perhaps just spot check it) I will be able to use it in the article.

I would be grateful to receive an episode of When a Girl Marries in any condition dated November 24, 1960 as long as I can hear it well enough to take notes on it.

Any of our splendid and accomplished researchers who sends one or both of the above episodes will be credited by name as a contributor to the article, which I expect to be published in the August issue of Radio Recall.  Because I am the editor, I will make sure to send the issue to you electronically if your name is in it.

Best regards,

Larry.

Larry,
I have many eps of Whispering Streets but most have only names not dates.  If you have a title I could possibly help you.

On Friday, April 16, 2021, 1:42:27 PM CDT, Larry Maupin <lmaupin@...> wrote:

[...]

wwtom@...

Hi Larry,

I'm pretty sure that When a Girl Marries went off the air long before November 24, 1960 and was not part of the last group of soap operas airing that day.

Is there any chance I can get a copy of your version of The Second Mrs. Burton from November 24, 1960.

Talk to you again soon.

Regards,
Wes

[...]

Wesley Tom

Brian Kavanaugh

I see one reference in a US paper after late 1957 (San Bernardino County Sun, January 30, 1958), but other than that, nothing after December 1957 - for the US serial,anyway. The Australian one was still broadcasting, it looks like.

Larry Maupin

Thank you Rick.  The episode Walden sent has a date of 11/24/1960 but no title.  I did not find it in the OTRR Library collection either, so unless one of our members who, like Walden, has a dated episode of 11/24/1960 and will send it to me I will just have to do without it.

I really appreciate your taking the time to look for one.

[...]

Thank you Brian.  It seems possible to me that there could be episodes of  more than 5 radio soap operas still in existence that were aired on November 24, 1960. I have a working title for the article of "The Day Before the World Ended," which is what makes all the surviving OTR soap opera episodes from November 24, 1960 so interesting and so indispensable to such an article.

If anyone in the group can find in your collection an episode of Whispering Streets with that date please send it to me or post a link to it here.  Even a brief summary of the episode would help a lot.

It is interesting that there was an Australian soap opera similar to When a Girl Marries.

I see one reference in a US paper after late 1957 (San Bernardino County Sun, January 30, 1958), but other than that, nothing after December 1957 - for the US serial,anyway. The Australian one was still broadcasting, it looks like.

Ian Grieve

"It is interesting that there was an Australian soap opera similar to When a Girl Marries.  "

Larry

It is the same series, different actors etc.

When the U.S. scripts ran out, the Australian scriptwriter continued to write the serial and it ended at ep3290.

Ian

Ian Grieve

I would like to know more about "The Whispering Streets".  I have it as Australian, a Grace Gibson Production from 1960 starring Lyndall Barbour as Hope Winslow.  It is 260 x quarter hour episodes.

Ian

B. J. Watkins

Couldn't be 11-26-60, that was a Saturday. It was a weekday show.

I see one reference in a US paper after late 1957 (San Bernardino County Sun, January 30, 1958), but other than that, nothing after December 1957 - for the US serial,anyway. The Australian one was still broadcasting, it looks like.

Ian Grieve

"Couldn't be 11-26-60, that was a Saturday. It was a weekday show."

Digital Deli was used as the source Barbara.  You cannot expect accuracy :)

Ian

Richard Davenport

"Couldn't be 11-26-60, that was a Saturday. It was a weekday show."

Digital Deli was used as the source Barbara.  You cannot expect accuracy :)

Ian

Ian Grieve

Wikipedia is not a good source either.

The reason the importation of the transcriptions stopped in 1940, long before the U.S entered the war, was that the Australian Government banned the importation of non War essential goods.

This was to keep U.S dollars for purchasing items required for the war.  Scripts were not on the list.  They were purchased by the pound in bales.

Ian

Sent from my Galaxy

"Couldn't be 11-26-60, that was a Saturday. It was a weekday show."

Digital Deli was used as the source Barbara.  You cannot expect accuracy :)

Ian

Joe, this is such a good commentary that I will incorporate at least a substantial part of it into the article I am writing.  Radio soap operas had a glorious run as the ratings champions of daytime radio for many years, and this tribute to their passing is touching and I think sincere.

Thank you very much for sharing it.

Your remarkes poses a soap operaa question for me. Do you know or how one could discover a soap whose main characters were Danny and Linda?
It's possible that was the title or a part of it.

--
XR

Larry Maupin

Hi Dan,

The soap opera is Linda's First Love.  It is about a beautiful young middle class girl who must choose between two men who love her.  Nine episodes are available in the Old-Time Radio Researchers Library collection, and I will send you a link that you can use to find them easily.  After you click on the link I send, wait a few seconds and you will see a box appear at the top.  Then type "Linda's First Love" into the box and you will see the title with a 9 in parenthesis.  Click on that and all 9 episodes will appear.  Then you can listen to any one of them with a single click on the title.  If you have any trouble please post here and I or someone else will help you.

I would like to take this opportunity to recognize the tremendous accomplishment of Paul Kornman in transforming the look of the library collection into a thing of beauty which is a pleasure to browse through.  Many episodes now have titles, dates and summaries.

--
XR

K & J Hammel

Thanks for sharing this little gem of a news article, Joe.

Kathy

On Saturday, April 17, 2021, 04:03:44 AM PDT, Joe Webb via groups.io <drjoewebb@...> wrote:

-

Thanks for finding it and the show content info. What is the link?please?

--
XR

Links:
------