Topics

Richard Durham - related materials

Brian Kavanaugh

As I've said previously, I'm working on a maintained set for "Destination Freedom". As part of that, I would like to include any related materials - mainly things also written by Richard Durham, or based on his works. I've just finished reading Sonja Williams' book "Word Warrior", so I know some of the other things he worked on.
I'm assuming the answer is no, but are there any surviving examples of:
  • Democracy USA
  • Here Comes Tomorrow
Is there any documentation on which episodes of "Suspense" or "Ma Perkins" that Durham worked on? On the latter, it appears there are very few available episodes before 1949, so any he worked on probably don't exist, anyway.
What I have for related materials are two episodes of "CBS Radio Workshop" that are based on "Destination Freedom" scripts, plus the two surviving episodes of the TV show "Bird of the Iron Feather" (and an excerpt from a third show). Is there anything else out there that I should include?
I'm also still searching for episodes of "Destination Freedom" that are known to exist, but I don't have. The spreadsheet is here: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1kg1LwpJnbUlsWTuGsdpQF16ucD8NoW7Eio7Dx7cYHp4/edit#gid=0
Thanks for any help you can provide!

Joe Webb

A search of RadioGoldindex for Suspense did not bring his name up, but RGI is usually just announced credits, not from production notes
Do you know what years/era he might have worked on the program? Lewis did his own editing, and Spier had as his editorial right hand Robert Richards. I believe Robson did his own editing as well. Did Durham use a pseudonym in any part of his career?

--

Brian Kavanaugh

I believe the only evidence we have for him working on Suspense and Ma Perkins was a 1975 interview with J. Fred MacDonald. It would have been 1943 or 1944. Ryan said he's never been able to find anything supporting that claim.

Much earlier in his life, he sometimes published poetry under different names, before settling on Richard Durham: I. Vern Durham or Vern Durham.

However, his FBI file does support the claim he worked on the Lone Ranger. It lists him doing freelance work for that show (July-August 1943) and several other local shows (1941-43). https://documents2.theblackvault.com/documents/fbifiles/celebrities/richarddurham-fbi1.pdf (page 8 of the PDF, page 3 of the file).

On Wed, Jul 29, 2020 at 5:29 AM Joe Webb via groups.io <drjoewebb=yahoo.com@groups.io> wrote:
A search of RadioGoldindex for Suspense did not bring his name up, but RGI is usually just announced credits, not from production notes
Do you know what years/era he might have worked on the program? Lewis did his own editing, and Spier had as his editorial right hand Robert Richards. I believe Robson did his own editing as well. Did Durham use a pseudonym in any part of his career?

I mention in my book that in a 1983 interview with Dunning, Durham noted that his name was often not associated with scripts he worked on to avoid causing problems with Southern sponsors. So such links may be buried very deep and possibly not extant anymore in the limited surviving documentation.