Topics

Sara's Private Caper

Scott Galley

We were listening to Dragnet this evening (our regular Wednesday night show) and, for the third week running, there's been a promo for "Sara's Private Caper", starring Sara Berner.

Goldin lists one surviving episode and says that it was very good. I don't have a copy in my collection. Does anyone here?

Hope everyone is doing well and staying safe;
Scott

Ryan Ellett

I just have the same episode that's in the OTRR library, 1950-06-15.

On Wednesday, September 23, 2020, 06:19:01 PM CDT, Scott Galley via groups.io <scottgalley@...> wrote:

We were listening to Dragnet this evening (our regular Wednesday night show) and, for the third week running, there's been a promo for "Sara's Private Caper", starring Sara Berner.

Goldin lists one surviving episode and says that it was very good. I don't have a copy in my collection. Does anyone here?

Hope everyone is doing well and staying safe;
Scott

Larry Gassman

Yes, and not in good sound at all.

UCLA archives had a bunch of them, and I believe they are in very limited circulation.

I only have that same one episode.

Larry

I just have the same episode that's in the OTRR library, 1950-06-15.

On Wednesday, September 23, 2020, 06:19:01 PM CDT, Scott Galley via groups.io <scottgalley@...> wrote:

We were listening to Dragnet this evening (our regular Wednesday night show) and, for the third week running, there's been a promo for "Sara's Private Caper", starring Sara Berner.

Goldin lists one surviving episode and says that it was very good. I don't have a copy in my collection. Does anyone here?

Hope everyone is doing well and staying safe;
Scott

Richard Davenport

I have a folder for the show only but no shows yet.

On Wednesday, September 23, 2020, 7:37:11 PM CDT, Larry Gassman <larrygassman@...> wrote:

Yes, and not in good sound at all.

UCLA archives had a bunch of them, and I believe they are in very limited circulation.

I only have that same one episode.

Larry

I just have the same episode that's in the OTRR library, 1950-06-15.

On Wednesday, September 23, 2020, 06:19:01 PM CDT, Scott Galley via groups.io <scottgalley@...> wrote:

We were listening to Dragnet this evening (our regular Wednesday night show) and, for the third week running, there's been a promo for "Sara's Private Caper", starring Sara Berner.

Goldin lists one surviving episode and says that it was very good. I don't have a copy in my collection. Does anyone here?

Hope everyone is doing well and staying safe;
Scott

Scott Galley

I should have checked the library before I posted. I only thought of it later on in the evening. That having been said, the idea that they survive in the UCLA archives is great news, but if they're not in circulation, they're doing nobody any good. I know that certain universities and museums have digitized their holdings. I wonder if there's any hope in UCLA doing the same?

Larry Gassman

No, because I doubt there radio material is there any more.  It was supposed to have been moved decades ago.

Larry

I should have checked the library before I posted. I only thought of it later on in the evening. That having been said, the idea that they survive in the UCLA archives is great news, but if they're not in circulation, they're doing nobody any good. I know that certain universities and museums have digitized their holdings. I wonder if there's any hope in UCLA doing the same?

So annyoying when institutions hold on to things a refuse to share them.   Greedy, Greedy, Greedy.

On Thursday, September 24, 2020, 7:39:15 AM CDT, Larry Gassman <larrygassman@...> wrote:

No, because I doubt there radio material is there any more.  It was supposed to have been moved decades ago.

Larry

I should have checked the library before I posted. I only thought of it later on in the evening. That having been said, the idea that they survive in the UCLA archives is great news, but if they're not in circulation, they're doing nobody any good. I know that certain universities and museums have digitized their holdings. I wonder if there's any hope in UCLA doing the same?

Scott Mahan

Especially the Library of Congress, which is nicely indexed.

I should have checked the library before I posted. I only thought of it later on in the evening. That having been said, the idea that they survive in the UCLA archives is great news, but if they're not in circulation, they're doing nobody any good. I know that certain universities and museums have digitized their holdings. I wonder if there's any hope in UCLA doing the same?

Scott Mahan

All of which is very true … but not any less annoying. OTR should be a constitutional right!

I should have checked the library before I posted. I only thought of it later on in the evening. That having been said, the idea that they survive in the UCLA archives is great news, but if they're not in circulation, they're doing nobody any good. I know that certain universities and museums have digitized their holdings. I wonder if there's any hope in UCLA doing the same?

At the very least they should at least share the text of the name of the shows so it can be at least notated.  I use txt files to fill in the blanks on my folders so I at least have the information on the missing shows.