Topics

Sara's Private Caper

Scott Galley

We were listening to Dragnet this evening (our regular Wednesday night show) and, for the third week running, there's been a promo for "Sara's Private Caper", starring Sara Berner.

Goldin lists one surviving episode and says that it was very good. I don't have a copy in my collection. Does anyone here?

Hope everyone is doing well and staying safe;
Scott

Ryan Ellett

I just have the same episode that's in the OTRR library, 1950-06-15.
Ryan

www.RyanEllett.com

The Old Time Radio Researchers
"Saving the Past for the Future"

www.OTRR.org
www.OTRRLibrary.org

On Wednesday, September 23, 2020, 06:19:01 PM CDT, Scott Galley via groups.io <scottgalley@...> wrote:

We were listening to Dragnet this evening (our regular Wednesday night show) and, for the third week running, there's been a promo for "Sara's Private Caper", starring Sara Berner.

Goldin lists one surviving episode and says that it was very good. I don't have a copy in my collection. Does anyone here?

Scott

Larry Gassman

Yes, and not in good sound at all.

UCLA archives had a bunch of them, and I believe they are in very limited circulation.

I only have that same one episode.

Larry

From: main@OldTimeRadioResearchers.groups.io <main@OldTimeRadioResearchers.groups.io> On Behalf Of Ryan Ellett via groups.io
Sent: Wednesday, September 23, 2020 5:25 PM
To: main@OldTimeRadioResearchers.groups.io
Subject: Re: [OldTimeRadioResearchers] Sara's Private Caper

Ryan

On Wednesday, September 23, 2020, 06:19:01 PM CDT, Scott Galley via groups.io <scottgalley@...> wrote:

Scott

Richard Davenport

I have a folder for the show only but no shows yet. 

Rick

Labor ipse voluptas

On Wednesday, September 23, 2020, 7:37:11 PM CDT, Larry Gassman <larrygassman@...> wrote:

UCLA archives had a bunch of them, and I believe they are in very limited circulation.

Larry

From: main@OldTimeRadioResearchers.groups.io <main@OldTimeRadioResearchers.groups.io> On Behalf Of Ryan Ellett via groups.io

Ryan

Scott

Richard Davenport

From what I can determine the series ran during 1950.  There were 11 shows.  The 50-6-15 was the 1st show of the series.  Jerry H only lists one show. 

Rick

Labor ipse voluptas

On Wednesday, September 23, 2020, 8:14:02 PM CDT, Richard Davenport <klingon1@...> wrote:

I have a folder for the show only but no shows yet. 

Rick

Labor ipse voluptas

On Wednesday, September 23, 2020, 7:37:11 PM CDT, Larry Gassman <larrygassman@...> wrote:

Larry

Ryan

Scott

Scott Galley

I should have checked the library before I posted. I only thought of it later on in the evening. That having been said, the idea that they survive in the UCLA archives is great news, but if they're not in circulation, they're doing nobody any good. I know that certain universities and museums have digitized their holdings. I wonder if there's any hope in UCLA doing the same?

S

Larry Gassman

No, because I doubt there radio material is there any more.  It was supposed to have been moved decades ago.

Larry

From: main@OldTimeRadioResearchers.groups.io <main@OldTimeRadioResearchers.groups.io> On Behalf Of Scott Galley via groups.io
Sent: Thursday, September 24, 2020 5:26 AM

I should have checked the library before I posted. I only thought of it later on in the evening. That having been said, the idea that they survive in the UCLA archives is great news, but if they're not in circulation, they're doing nobody any good. I know that certain universities and museums have digitized their holdings. I wonder if there's any hope in UCLA doing the same?

S

Richard Davenport

So annyoying when institutions hold on to things a refuse to share them.   Greedy, Greedy, Greedy.

Rick

Labor ipse voluptas

On Thursday, September 24, 2020, 7:39:15 AM CDT, Larry Gassman <larrygassman@...> wrote:

No, because I doubt there radio material is there any more.  It was supposed to have been moved decades ago.

Larry

From: main@OldTimeRadioResearchers.groups.io <main@OldTimeRadioResearchers.groups.io> On Behalf Of Scott Galley via groups.io

S

Scott Mahan

Especially the Library of Congress, which is nicely indexed.

From: main@OldTimeRadioResearchers.groups.io <main@OldTimeRadioResearchers.groups.io> On Behalf Of Richard Davenport
Sent: Thursday, September 24, 2020 10:26 PM

So annyoying when institutions hold on to things a refuse to share them.   Greedy, Greedy, Greedy.

Rick

Labor ipse voluptas

On Thursday, September 24, 2020, 7:39:15 AM CDT, Larry Gassman <larrygassman@...> wrote:

Larry

S

Ryan Ellett

In my (limited) experience, sometimes it's because they do not have the express written permission from the original owners to share it. You also have to remember, these institutions have to justify their budgets to administrators; keeping rare material on-hand can drive researchers to the library, which is hard data to show their resources are being used. If it's all put up online, fewer people have a reason to come to use the library services and resources. Libraries want to be cited in publications and recognized for having unique items. If their one-of-a-kind audio recordings end up miscellaneously online, they get none of the benefit for the cost and time of preserving the original items, which is considerable. They gladly share items, you can't just freely share it afterwards. Many of us have uncirculating recordings from different institutions but due to agreements signed when they provide the copies, we do not pass them on. If we do (and it's discovered), we lose the chance to request more recordings, they shut down the loaning, or the increase the already considerable recording fees.
Ryan

www.RyanEllett.com

www.OTRR.org
www.OTRRLibrary.org

On Thursday, September 24, 2020, 10:25:45 PM CDT, Richard Davenport <klingon1@...> wrote:

Rick

Labor ipse voluptas

Larry

S

Scott Mahan

All of which is very true … but not any less annoying. OTR should be a constitutional right!

Sent: Friday, September 25, 2020 8:18 AM

In my (limited) experience, sometimes it's because they do not have the express written permission from the original owners to share it. You also have to remember, these institutions have to justify their budgets to administrators; keeping rare material on-hand can drive researchers to the library, which is hard data to show their resources are being used. If it's all put up online, fewer people have a reason to come to use the library services and resources. Libraries want to be cited in publications and recognized for having unique items. If their one-of-a-kind audio recordings end up miscellaneously online, they get none of the benefit for the cost and time of preserving the original items, which is considerable. They gladly share items, you can't just freely share it afterwards. Many of us have uncirculating recordings from different institutions but due to agreements signed when they provide the copies, we do not pass them on. If we do (and it's discovered), we lose the chance to request more recordings, they shut down the loaning, or the increase the already considerable recording fees.

Ryan

On Thursday, September 24, 2020, 10:25:45 PM CDT, Richard Davenport <klingon1@...> wrote:

Rick

Labor ipse voluptas

Larry

S

Richard Davenport

At the very least they should at least share the text of the name of the shows so it can be at least notated.  I use txt files to fill in the blanks on my folders so I at least have the information on the missing shows.

Rick

Labor ipse voluptas

On Friday, September 25, 2020, 11:45:02 AM CDT, Scott Mahan <scott@...> wrote:

All of which is very true … but not any less annoying. OTR should be a constitutional right!

Ryan

Rick

Labor ipse voluptas

Larry

S

Richard Davenport

If it is possible can we contact them and ask for the file names? I would not know where to start to contact them. 

Rick

Labor ipse voluptas

On Friday, September 25, 2020, 7:34:13 PM CDT, Richard Davenport <klingon1@...> wrote:

At the very least they should at least share the text of the name of the shows so it can be at least notated.  I use txt files to fill in the blanks on my folders so I at least have the information on the missing shows.

Rick

Labor ipse voluptas

On Friday, September 25, 2020, 11:45:02 AM CDT, Scott Mahan <scott@...> wrote:

Ryan

Rick

Labor ipse voluptas

Larry

S

Scott Galley

What Ryan said indeed makes a lot of sense. Not being a librarian or archivist, that never really crossed my mind.

Ryan Ellett

You would need to go to the UCLA website and probably look for something like "special collections," likely on their library page. Look for an email or phone number. These are generally not prominent parts of a university so you kind of have to dig.
Ryan

www.RyanEllett.com

www.OTRR.org
www.OTRRLibrary.org

On Friday, September 25, 2020, 7:35:29 PM CDT, Richard Davenport <klingon1@...> wrote:

If it is possible can we contact them and ask for the file names? I would not know where to start to contact them. 

Rick

Labor ipse voluptas