Topics

Searching for an America's town meeting of the air episode from 1938

Bob Stepno

A friend who is a journalism historian at NYU is searching for a recording of an episode of the NBC series America's Town Meeting of the Air from the last week in April, 1938, featuring David Sarnoff, Dorothy Thompson, and Anne O'Hare McCormick discussing Democracy and American Ideals.

I've checked the otrr library and the internet archive without finding that particular episode.

I tried to access the NBC collection at the Library of Congress via its Sonic/STAR listings tonight, but got a database error message suggesting that part of the system is down for maintenance, or maybe that the webpage simply does not work from the Android phone I'm doing my searching with.

Since most of my own OTR research involves simply writing *about* radio program episodes that are already available as MP3 at public websites, I have never used the Library of Congress audio collection. Neither has my friend at NYU, as far as I know. Advice on using that collection?

The script of the program and other information may be at the New York Public Library, and she will be checking there next week.... but actually hearing the recorded program would be a bonus.

Do any of you know whether that April 27th or 28th 1938 recording might be at the Library of Congress, or available elsewhere? Thanks!

Bob at Jheroes.com

Bob Stepno

Coincidentally, Goldin's index describes an entirely different episode for that week, not the one that my friend found listed in two different newspaper radio schedules.... Perhaps a solid example of the inaccuracies in newspaper listings that I've seen mentioned in discussions before.

Did the guests the professor saw listed in two widely distant newspapers for  April 27th or April 28th ever actually appear? Or was that episode replaced?

Ryan Ellett

Perhaps, and likely. But Goldin's listings are not infallible, either.

On Sunday, October 4, 2020, 10:23:43 AM CDT, Bob Stepno <rstepno@...> wrote:

Coincidentally, Goldin's index describes an entirely different episode for that week, not the one that my friend found listed in two different newspaper radio schedules.... Perhaps a solid example of the inaccuracies in newspaper listings that I've seen mentioned in discussions before.

Did the guests the professor saw listed in two widely distant newspapers for  April 27th or April 28th ever actually appear? Or was that episode replaced?

bob_pedersen@...

There were two Town Hall shows on April 28, 1938. The first, from 2:00 to 3:15, was a Town Hall luncheon held at the Hotel Astor. David Sarnoff, Anne O’Hare McCormick and Dorothy Thompson were guests.

The Town Hall Meeting program, at 9:30, was entitled, “What Is the American Way.” Its panel featured Colonel Frank Knox of the Chicago Daily News, Alfred Bingham, and Professor T.V. Smith of the University of Chicago.

Unfortunately, I don’t know if either of the shows are available.

Bob Pedersen