Topics

Slight updateRE: [OldTimeRadioResearchers] An Invitation To All Members

Michael Hingson

In the Suspense episode, Hans Conried also appeared. Pretty important, especially at the end of the story.

Sent: Saturday, April 3, 2021 12:59 PM
To: 'main@OldTimeRadioResearchers.groups.io' <main@OldTimeRadioResearchers.groups.io>
Subject: RE: [OldTimeRadioResearchers] An Invitation To All Members

Hi Larry,

Sorry, but I must give you two.

First, Suspense, The House in Cypress Canyon, December 5 1946 staring Robert Taylor and Howard Duff.

As much as I like "Three Skelton Key" I think this one is scarier as it leaves a bit more to the imagination. The end also has a wonderful twist that makes this more terrifying. It is a must hear.

My second favorite show is Command Performance, Dick Tracy in B Flat or for goodness sakes is he ever going to Mary Tess Trueheart?, February 15, 1945, staring an bunch of the most suspicious characters ever to appear on Radio. They include, Bing (Dick Tracy) Crosby, Bob (Flat Top) Hope, Dina (Tess Trueheart) Shore, Jimmy (The Mole), Durante, Frank (Shaky) Sinatra, and many others.

Each week Command Performance featured radio stars in shows just for our “men and women overseas”. I am not aware that the show ever was aired during the “golden days of radio”, but when I did radio in the late 60s and 70s, and plan to do so on the net again, this will and was always one of the shows I featured. I have NEVER heard a funnier program.

Best Regards,

Michael Hingson

From: main@OldTimeRadioResearchers.groups.io On Behalf Of Larry Maupin
Sent: Saturday, April 3, 2021 7:58 AM
To: 'Main@OldTimeRadioResearchers.groups.io' <Main@OldTimeRadioResearchers.groups.io>
Subject: [OldTimeRadioResearchers] An Invitation To All Members

Happy Saturday to everyone.

I will be editing the June issue of Radio Recall, the newsletter of the Metropolitan Washington Old-Time Radio Club, and would like to invite every member of this group to send me a message telling me what your single favorite old-time radio episode is.

The message will need to include the following: (1) The title of the episode; (2) the name of the series to which it belongs; (3) the date that the episode was broadcast; (4) a paragraph describing why it is your favorite episode; (5) your name and (optional) the city and state in which you now reside.

A sample: "The Most Famous Man in the World" from The Mysterious Traveler (November 20, 1951) or (11/20/51) if you prefer.  Then the paragraph, then your name and residence information.  Don't worry about the italics: I will put them in if you don't.

I have room for about 12 of these in the June issue, so will publish the first 12 that are submitted and save the rest for the next issue.  If you submit one, I promise that it will be published as soon as possible and you will see your name in print as a contributor.

You can post the message here or send it to me personally at lmaupin@... if you prefer.

Larry

--
Larry Maupin

Larry Maupin

That's good to know Michael.  I will incorporate the information into the earlier information you sent on the episode.  Thank you for the update.

Larry

-----------------------------------------

To: main@OldTimeRadioResearchers.groups.io
Cc:
Sent: Sunday April 4 2021 1:28:43AM
Subject: Slight updateRE: [OldTimeRadioResearchers] An Invitation To All Members

In the Suspense episode, Hans Conried also appeared. Pretty important, especially at the end of the story.

Sent: Saturday, April 3, 2021 12:59 PM
To: 'main@OldTimeRadioResearchers.groups.io' <main@OldTimeRadioResearchers.groups.io>
Subject: RE: [OldTimeRadioResearchers] An Invitation To All Members

Hi Larry,

Sorry, but I must give you two.

First, Suspense, The House in Cypress Canyon, December 5 1946 staring Robert Taylor and Howard Duff.

As much as I like "Three Skelton Key" I think this one is scarier as it leaves a bit more to the imagination. The end also has a wonderful twist that makes this more terrifying. It is a must hear.

My second favorite show is Command Performance, Dick Tracy in B Flat or for goodness sakes is he ever going to Mary Tess Trueheart?, February 15, 1945, staring an bunch of the most suspicious characters ever to appear on Radio. They include, Bing (Dick Tracy) Crosby, Bob (Flat Top) Hope, Dina (Tess Trueheart) Shore, Jimmy (The Mole), Durante, Frank (Shaky) Sinatra, and many others.

Each week Command Performance featured radio stars in shows just for our “men and women overseas”. I am not aware that the show ever was aired during the “golden days of radio”, but when I did radio in the late 60s and 70s, and plan to do so on the net again, this will and was always one of the shows I featured. I have NEVER heard a funnier program.

Best Regards,

Michael Hingson

From: main@OldTimeRadioResearchers.groups.io On Behalf Of Larry Maupin
Sent: Saturday, April 3, 2021 7:58 AM
To: 'Main@OldTimeRadioResearchers.groups.io' <Main@OldTimeRadioResearchers.groups.io>
Subject: [OldTimeRadioResearchers] An Invitation To All Members

Happy Saturday to everyone.

I will be editing the June issue of Radio Recall, the newsletter of the Metropolitan Washington Old-Time Radio Club, and would like to invite every member of this group to send me a message telling me what your single favorite old-time radio episode is.

The message will need to include the following: (1) The title of the episode; (2) the name of the series to which it belongs; (3) the date that the episode was broadcast; (4) a paragraph describing why it is your favorite episode; (5) your name and (optional) the city and state in which you now reside.

A sample: "The Most Famous Man in the World" from The Mysterious Traveler (November 20, 1951) or (11/20/51) if you prefer.  Then the paragraph, then your name and residence information.  Don't worry about the italics: I will put them in if you don't.

I have room for about 12 of these in the June issue, so will publish the first 12 that are submitted and save the rest for the next issue.  If you submit one, I promise that it will be published as soon as possible and you will see your name in print as a contributor.

You can post the message here or send it to me personally at lmaupin@... if you prefer.

Larry

--
Larry Maupin

--
Larry Maupin