From: main@OldTimeRadioResearchers.groups.io <main@OldTimeRadioResearchers.groups.io> On Behalf Of Ryan Ellett via groups.io
Sent: Saturday, May 22, 2021 2:49 PM
To: main@OldTimeRadioResearchers.groups.io
Subject: [OldTimeRadioResearchers] Speed Gibson

Has anyone listened to the Speed Gibson shows in our library? I'm wondering about the quality. There's a few reels of them in a box I received through the purchasing group, but if our copies sound nice I won't take the time to digitize them.
Ryan

Gordon Johansen

I've listened to them all but it was a few years ago. As I recall, the quality was not wonderful as they were mp3s but they were very listenable. Some pops and static. I'd have to listen again to verify that.

If you want to digitize a random episode or two and post a link, I'm happy to compare them for you.

Gord

Ryan Ellett via groups.io wrote on 5/22/21 3:49 PM:

Has anyone listened to the Speed Gibson shows in our library? I'm wondering about the quality. There's a few reels of them in a box I received through the purchasing group, but if our copies sound nice I won't take the time to digitize them.

Sent from Postbox

Ryan Ellett

So Gordon listened to a few sample eps I sent him and he thought the copies we currently have on reel to reel are better than what is digitized in the library now. The downside is, the intro and outro theme has been removed so they all run together like a single story, with just a short pause between episodes. If needed, we could add an intro and outro to each episode but it would be laborious. Before looking too much into that option, I thought it was worthwhile to check with group members to see if anyone has an upgraded run of the show to offer Paul to place in our library and replace what is currently there.
Ryan

On Sat, May 22, 2021 at 04:59 PM, Gordon Johansen wrote:
I've listened to them all but it was a few years ago. As I recall, the quality was not wonderful as they were mp3s but they were very listenable. Some pops and static. I'd have to listen again to verify that.

If you want to digitize a random episode or two and post a link, I'm happy to compare them for you.

Gord

Scott Galley

Gee, I hate when people do that.

We listened to the whole series a number of years ago, and absolutely loved it. The sound quality, as I recall, was fine. Better that than a clipped show, I my humble opinion.

-

If you divide the episodes into single files here is a method to easily add intro and ending sound files to each. The app. used is cat which
is a standard utility found and used in unix/linx to do such taskss forr manipulating files, including audio files. The method used would
make one file of three audio files, entry - episode - ending as asingle file. With the same entry/ending for all episodes, this could be done
with one command to modify all files at the same time.

Here is the method described for multiple audio files:

'command line - Concatenating several .mp3 files into one .mp3'

https://askubuntu.com/questions/20507/concatenating-several-mp3-files-into-one-mp3

--
Dan d.
XR

Ryan Ellett

A couple questions: would this work on Windows (all I have) and would it work to combine .wav files?

On Tuesday, May 25, 2021, 11:04:09 AM CDT, - <dandunfee@...> wrote:

If you divide the episodes into single files here is a method to easily add intro and ending sound files to each.  The app. used is cat which
is a standard utility found and used in unix/linx to do such taskss forr manipulating files, including audio files.  The method used would
make one file of three audio files, entry - episode - ending as asingle file.  With the same entry/ending for all episodes, this could be done
with one command to modify all files at the same time.

Here is the method described for multiple audio files:

'command line - Concatenating several .mp3 files into one .mp3'

-

Sorry; I don't use a windows machine. However I have seen discussion of how unix/linux utilities can be used in windows.

Someone using a mac has unix already in terminal and the cat utility is there.

On Tue, 25 May 2021, Ryan Ellett via groups.io wrote:

A couple questions: would this work on Windows (all I have) and would it work to combine .wav files???
www.RyanEllett.com

The Old Time Radio Researchers"Saving the Past for the Future"
http://www.OTRR.orghttp://otrr.org/?c=library

On Tuesday, May 25, 2021, 11:04:09 AM CDT, - <dandunfee@gmail.com> wrote:

If you divide the episodes into single files here is a method to easily add intro and ending sound files to each.?? The app. used is cat which
is a standard utility found and used in unix/linx to do such taskss forr manipulating files, including audio files.?? The method used would
make one file of three audio files, entry - episode - ending as asingle file.?? With the same entry/ending for all episodes, this could be done
with one command to modify all files at the same time.

Here is the method described for multiple audio files:

'command line - Concatenating several .mp3 files into one .mp3'

https://askubuntu.com/questions/20507/concatenating-several-mp3-files-into-one-mp3

--
Dan d.
XR

Allan Foster

Ryan,

I have an old laptop that I installed Linux on after windows crashed.  However I haven’t booted it up in over a year.  I’ll get it out today and see if it still works.  If so, I could come over and we could experiment and see if between the two of us we could figure out Dan’s software.

Allan

On Wednesday, May 26, 2021, 8:28 AM, - <dandunfee@...> wrote:

Sorry; I don't use a windows machine.  However I have seen discussion of how unix/linux utilities can be used in windows.

Someone using a mac has unix already in terminal and the cat utility is there.

On Tue, 25 May 2021, Ryan Ellett via groups.io wrote:

> A couple questions: would this work on Windows (all I have) and would it work to combine .wav files???
> www.RyanEllett.com
>
> The Old Time Radio Researchers"Saving the Past for the Future"
>

>    On Tuesday, May 25, 2021, 11:04:09 AM CDT, - <dandunfee@...> wrote:
>

> If you divide the episodes into single files here is a method to easily add intro and ending sound files to each.?? The app. used is cat which
> is a standard utility found and used in unix/linx to do such taskss forr manipulating files, including audio files.?? The method used would
> make one file of three audio files, entry - episode - ending as asingle file.?? With the same entry/ending for all episodes, this could be done
> with one command to modify all files at the same time.
>
> Here is the method described for multiple audio files:
>
> 'command line - Concatenating several .mp3 files into one .mp3'

--
Dan d.
XR

Brian Kavanaugh

Ryan/Allan,

Looks like you could use Audacity, among others (I've never tried using it for that). Interestingly, there is a command line option in Windows too. Don't know if it works for wav files, but I would guess it does since that's one of their natively supported formats.

https://helpdeskgeek.com/how-to/how-to-merge-multiple-audio-files-into-one/

Bill Clough

This works with Windows using copy from the command prompt.