From: "Scott Galley via groups.io" <scottgalley@...>
Date: 25/9/21 11:06 pm (GMT+10:00)
To: main@OldTimeRadioResearchers.groups.io
Subject: [OldTimeRadioResearchers] Springbok Radio

All this talk of Medical FIle and Address Unknown brings up an interesting topic, namely South African radio. To my knowledge, there is no book or website dealing exclusively with the history and shows that came out of South Africa during its long history of dramatic radio. I know of 'Taxi', 'General Motors on Safari', 'The Avengers', etc; but does anyone know of a good source for information dealing with Springbok Radio and South African dramatic radio culture in general? I find these more 'exotic' (at least to North American ears) shows and broadcasters an endless source of fascination.

Scott

Scott Galley

What an odd response. Curiosity about another’s culture does not imply a desire to dominate it. I was just saying that I enjoyed what I’ve heard and was interested in finding out more. In the same way that I’m interested in broadcasting from Great Britain, Australia, Canada, or for that matter, the US, which is not my home country.

If I’ve stepped on some sort of cultural minefield (surprisingly easy to do in today’s hypersensitive age) then it was done accidentally.

This is a reminder to me as to why I try never to participate in any online forums. You ask a simple question…

Ian Grieve

Chris, The guy who is doing it is very sensitive on the subject because he feels put out by all the requests he gets for mp3 copies and all the wrong information put out by U.S. researchers.  He is very very sensitive on the subject ever since Pumamouse was raiding his recordings 20 years ago and sharing the mp3s to everyone.

I have tried to get him to join this group several times over the years, but he simply doesn't want to because he has had too many negative experiences.

He only trusts a handfull of people at this stage.  He trusts me because we have traded information regarding the Australian shows broadcast in South Africa and because of the Australian broadcasters that worked there.  I suppose I have never asked for a S.A. show either in the 20+ years we have been conversing and that helps.

It is not to say that YOU personally want to dominate his culture, just that the hundreds before you have tried.

I know how much I hate it when someone from another country tries to document Australian OTR and gets it all ballsed up (technical term).  I have spent years trying to undo incorrect information and have learnt that once it is out there, it is a waste of time trying to correct it.  I logged a couple of U.S. series early in my hobby and then backed away, because the culture isn't mine and I had no right.

Instead I learnt who to pass the recordings or information to, in order to assist them in that work.  I have in fact passed the S.A. researcher details to a member here that I trust and discussed the issue with both parties, so the information isn't lost with me.

So it isn't really a simply question, nor is it a simple answer.  Too much history.  One day if people leave him alone, he may join the group, but not while the group is collecting S.A. shows and making up S.A. logs when there is so much U.S material yet to be logged and documented etc.

Ian

What an odd response. Curiosity about another’s culture does not imply a desire to dominate it. I was just saying that I enjoyed what I’ve heard and was interested in finding out more. In the same way that I’m interested in broadcasting from Great Britain, Australia, Canada, or for that matter, the US, which is not my home country.

If I’ve stepped on some sort of cultural minefield (surprisingly easy to do in today’s hypersensitive age) then it was done accidentally.

This is a reminder to me as to why I try never to participate in any online forums. You ask a simple question…

Joe Webb

There is one very curious character in South African radio who deserves some serious academic study. Michael McCabe was one of radio's most prolific writers and performers in the entire worldwide medium. He wrote most of the scripts for Suspense (they used the show name, but all of the scripts were original; McCabe's scripts were in their first Suspense series), SF68 (their sci-fi program), Beyond Midnight, The Avengers, and others. There is very little about him online. Here's one of the pages https://www.declassified.hiddentigerbooks.co.uk/radio_biogs_michael_mccabe.htm -- most all of the pages have the same limited information.

You can stream many of the programs today https://www.radio-south-africa.co.za/springbok-radio

--

Scott

I know this is tangentially related but I've got a fair amount of SA/Springbok content here: https://radio.dieselpunkindustries.com/. All the South African links should have a "(SA)" at the end of the link title.

- 33 Half Moon Street
- The Avengers
- Castle Playhouse
- Cavalcade of King
- The Creaking Door
- General Motors on Safari
- High Adventure
- Higher They Fly
- Jet Jungle
- John Steele Adventurer
- Medical File
- Night Surgeon
- SF-68
- Shell Theater of the Air
- Sounds of Darkness
- Squad Cars
- Stories of Sherlock Holmes
- Walk Softly Peter Troy

John

"What an odd response. Curiosity about another’s culture does not imply a desire to dominate it. I was just saying that I enjoyed what I’ve heard and was interested in finding out more. In the same way that I’m interested in broadcasting from Great Britain, Australia, Canada, or for that matter, the US, which is not my home country.
If I’ve stepped on some sort of cultural minefield (surprisingly easy to do in today’s hypersensitive age) then it was done accidentally.
This is a reminder to me as to why I try never to participate in any online forums. You ask a simple question… "

Indeed so.  It's unfortunate that someone (anyone) believes that they have the "authentic" control of a countries  (ANY countries) vintage radio history.  I collect a particular brand of vintage handgun. There's a fellow who has collected decades worth of information on these guns, but won't share it because "It's part of a book I'm publishing".  He's been "publishing" it for 25+ yrs with no sign of anything forthcoming, and I'm pretty sure the information will go to the grave with him as he's quite elderly now.

Strange, but such are some of the characters and behaviors that inhabit all niche hobbies.

John

On Sun, Sep 26, 2021 at 11:17 PM Scott Galley via groups.io <scottgalley=mac.com@groups.io> wrote:
What an odd response. Curiosity about another’s culture does not imply a desire to dominate it. I was just saying that I enjoyed what I’ve heard and was interested in finding out more. In the same way that I’m interested in broadcasting from Great Britain, Australia, Canada, or for that matter, the US, which is not my home country.

If I’ve stepped on some sort of cultural minefield (surprisingly easy to do in today’s hypersensitive age) then it was done accidentally.

This is a reminder to me as to why I try never to participate in any online forums. You ask a simple question…

Ian Grieve

Sorry I spoke up now.

Trying not to let mistakes happen again, its called the benefit of experience.  I know the background, you didn't.  The world is your oyster, its not as though history will ever repeat.

Ian

[...]

This will be the last I will say on this subject. If we look at my initial post, all I was doing (which I regret now, and find a trifle embarrassing) was to showcase my enthusiasm to this group and to say that I enjoyed what little I've heard of South African radio, and was wondering if there was a book on the subject. That was all. I wasn't trying to steal someone's research, incorrectly date files, or post stuff to some sort of online site. Or charge money for anything. Quite the contrary. I was willing to spend money if there was a good book on the subject, just as I've done on dozens of other books on the subject of golden age radio broadcasters from all over the world. Seems pretty harmless to me to just simply ask if there's a book out there somewhere.

Further to that, I've enjoyed your site Ian, and have posted a couple of comments there over the years thanking you for expanding my knowledge of Australian radio. I don't understand the difference. Is South Africa's radio heritage the domain of a few? I seriously doubt that the people involved in the creation of that content up until 1985 would like to know that someone thinks that the shows are their private pleasure garden. But maybe I'm wrong.

Regardless, I did not intend to start a flame war of any sort. My initial post was just an innocent burst of enthusiasm. I will not make that mistake again, and will go back to just being a reader of posts. Fewer headaches.

Richard Davenport

I fail to see what the big deal is about folks asking questions about SA radio.  I have found that some folks or institutions seem to really pucker up when it comings to sharing information or files.  I also have a passion for movie serials and have built a very comprehensive spreadsheet about what I believe to be every single one ever released.  I have a pretty decent collection of digital versions of the chapters of the various serials.  I will not name names but those of us here who appreciate a good serial probably know of to whom I refer.  It does the world no good if things are stuck in a dark warehouse on a shelf when the holder thinks there is some sort of monetary value in it as the most important aspect of having them.  I am a preserver and it irks me to no end when things sit around on dusty shelves and get forgotten about.  There are those with skills to digitize, restore and preserve these lost treasures of the past eras.  I also have a very large spreadsheet I maintain with information on all known radio shows.  It is far from complete but it is where I dump facts on the shows as I learn them.  I am working now on a complete listing of all FM&M shows so folks can check of what they have and need and have something to refer to as needed.

On Monday, September 27, 2021, 06:41:26 PM CDT, Scott Galley via groups.io <scottgalley@...> wrote:

[...]

Ryan Ellett

I think it's important to remind everyone that Ian was not stating his opinion of the matter, but relating his knowledge of and experience with the lead South African Springbok researchers. I want to make sure it doesn't get lost in all the responses that Ian's point (as I read it) was to let everyone know why there is not a published work on South African radio at this point, which was the question that started this thread if I recall. Let's not argue with Ian about someone else's beliefs and opinions.
Ryan

Ian Grieve

Thank you Ryan.  I have no idea what the copyright situation in S.A. is apart from the Australian Series they broadcast, I just know the reasons why there isn't greater cooperation.  It doesn't effect me, I have access anyway.

It was nothing against Chris, I just know that 1,000 people might read, think it is a great idea and a fair percentage then act like locusts.

I have been abused for not making Australian shows more accessible on my site and not opening my collection more.  You just get sick of explaining the situation over and over again.  Defending a copyright law I don't believe in but can't pretend doesn't exist.  I understand the attitude of the S.A. contact, but it doesn't mean I agree.  The fact that I am here and I document and have a website, should show that I don't.  I try to cooperate wherever possible.

Ian

I think it's important to remind everyone that Ian was not stating his opinion of the matter, but relating his knowledge of and experience with the lead South African Springbok researchers. I want to make sure it doesn't get lost in all the responses that Ian's point (as I read it) was to let everyone know why there is not a published work on South African radio at this point, which was the question that started this thread if I recall. Let's not argue with Ian about someone else's beliefs and opinions.
Ryan

Ian Grieve

Hardly a week goes by when I don't speak out against the Australian Archives for just that.  I do it because I know a representative of the Archives is in 3 of the Australian Radio groups (different person in each group)  its called feedback and I do it when it is warranted, when I know the facts.  You can't condemn a person, persons, Archive for not sharing material they are legally bound not too, or that they have spent decades doing the research and expected to just hand it over.

The subject is boring and people will just do what they want anyway.

Ian

[...]

Scott Mahan

On a calmer note.

There was a time when, if you knew who to email, you could get SABC to transcribe Springbok stuff for you if you sent them the appropriate Rand, which they had a schedule for.

Which, of course, you had to figure out how to do that. Rand used to be worth more than they are now, so it was sort of expensive.

But I really loved “Squad Cars”, which is right up there with “Calling All Cars” and “Tales of the Texas Rangers”. So … I have a small collection of these.

Anyone else have any SABC discs? Some of my favorite toys.

[...]

Love it. What more can be said?

[...]

Mike Thomas

I love all you guys!

I am thankful for the generosity, knowledge, research etc that is shared. The times we live in are stressful everywhere. We have a hobby that we love and share in. Let's stay connected on it as much as possible. The more we stay together the more sweet fruit will come of it. Preservation is the bottom line for me, regardless of where that is. I want the future to have some if this stuff.

I began by researching Robert Arthur and David Kogans work in otr and pulp fiction because I read Alfred Hitchcock and the Three Investigators that Robert Arthur conceived. Once I was turned on to otr I was hooked. That research eventually led me to Ian who was a big help on that end. Adventure into Fear was Aussies version of The Mysterious Traveler. Only a few are available to listen to but that Aussie avenue was a help for an article I once wrote. At that time I was told of the copyright stuff. I didn't want to put Ian in a bad spot because his info is golden. We just can't have the show's. Personally I would rather have someone available as a sterling resource of info than the show itself if I had to choose. That's just me. Someday that may change. I read all the posts here and see the excitement. I'm thankful for you all. Don't stop posting. Ever. Thanks

On Mon, Sep 27, 2021 at 7:19 PM, Ian Grieve
<austotr@...> wrote:
[...]

Re: Springbok Radio.

Original Question: Is there a book on the subject?

Expected Answer: No.

No backstory asked for. No knowledge, or concern, on my part, of the backstory. The reason that I got my back up was simply because of the line in the initial response to my query: "It is THEIR heritage." (Ian's emphasis, not mine) as though by asking if there was a book, I was engaging in some sort of cultural appropriation. Let's be clear about the reason this thread got so heated.

Anyway, on to other things.

There's a book on a wonderful BBC show called "Music While You Work", which I just ordered. (I have a few samples of the show, and it's lovely.) I'm going to go to the mailbox and wait for that.

Scott Galley

Oh, and by the way. No grudges here. If the message was misinterpreted, or what-have-you, it's still a tempest in a teapot.

The more information we can get from knowledgeable historians on their subjects, the happier I am.

I agree with Mike in that "I would rather have someone available as a sterling resource of info than the show itself if I had to choose". If an interesting backstory is available on an existing show (see Joe Webb's "The Big Story" as an example) or a good book is available on shows that were never in circulation (see Martin Gram's new book on the 'lost' Lone Ranger episodes) or a facet of the radio culture is made available (see Ian's website for information on the ABC Argonauts Club) then I'm happy.

Ian Grieve

The emphasis was not mine per se.  It was told to me numerous times to explain the situation.

The only book I found that discussed anything about early S.A. radio was a biography on Sid James.  That was where he got his start.

But then in a Harry Towers group I said I was a huge Sid James fan until I read in that book, how he abandoned his S.A. kids when he moved to England and refused to have anything to do with them.  Then a guy told me in no uncertain terms that it never happened.  Turns out he was a son of Sid James.

I have hundreds of books on British Radio and British Radio Stars, but have never found anything on S.A. radio.  The only S.A. transcriptions I have is a drama about the first heart transplant.

Talking to white people from S.A. and even Zimbabwe, Springbok Radio was hugely popular.

Reg James from Grace Gibson sold a lot of their titles into the country and several of Reg James Australian radio friends did stints there.  We discussed it several times.  S.A. sent some of their shows to GG to broadcast in Australia.

A book on the subject may not be in English, it may be in Africaans and that is why it hasn't left their shores.

I will ask.

Ian

Original Question: Is there a book on the subject?

Expected Answer: No.

No backstory asked for. No knowledge, or concern, on my part, of the backstory. The reason that I got my back up was simply because of the line in the initial response to my query: "It is THEIR heritage." (Ian's emphasis, not mine) as though by asking if there was a book, I was engaging in some sort of cultural appropriation. Let's be clear about the reason this thread got so heated.

Anyway, on to other things.

There's a book on a wonderful BBC show called "Music While You Work", which I just ordered. (I have a few samples of the show, and it's lovely.) I'm going to go to the mailbox and wait for that.

Why don't we all put together a document about shows from South Africa?  An e-Book of sorts.

Everyone can have input about information.

rick

Labor ipse voluptas