Springbok Radio, Harry Allan Towers, etc;

Scott Galley

A Harry Allan Towers group? That'd I'd be interested in joining. We love his radio, television and film projects. Interesting fellow. Died here in Toronto,  probably not 15 minutes from where I type this. Would have loved to have talked to him. We bought his autobiography, but I've yet to read it.

Sid James seemed like a sweet guy from everyone I've heard speak about him. Although I'd never heard that rumour, I'm glad it was a falsehood. That would have destroyed his memory for me as well.

I would have been very interested to talk to Reg James about Guy Doleman and Dinah Shearing. Two of my all time favourite radio actors. Ms. Shearing's performance in both Tudor Princess and Tudor Queen are remarkable. The fact that you had access to Reg for so long is wonderful.

Scott

Ian Grieve

Chris, One day I should add a Reg James emails section to my website.  I treasure the hours we spent at his house in Sydney, with Reg and I discussing Australian radio in his sitting room and Dawn and and his wife Neryl discussing Grandkids etc in the kitchen, bringing out the occasional cup of tea or coffee.  His mind was sharp and clear almost to the end.  Neryl passed away just before COVID.

In 2012, Reg James listed Grace Gibson's Top 10 Favourite Actresses, Actors and Shows.  Coincidently they were his as well :)  We went on to scriptwriters as well.  Reg was very exact and split the favourite shows into genres complete with cast and brief explanation, even though he knew I already knew that.  Mentors are like that.

Dinah Shearing was number 2 behind Lyndall Barbour.  He actually listed the top 16.

Male Actors he listed the top 30 and Guy Doleman came in 22nd.

Also in 2012, Reg had been talking to Dinah Shearing and she indicated that Tudor Queen was her favourite role.  He sent her a couple of episodes of Tudor Princess and asked me for some Tudor Queen for her.  She also told him she had only ever heard a couple of episodes of Dossier on Dumetrius.

When my youngest daughter who is a teacher, asks me a question, she just wants the short answer.  My eldest daughter who is in finance wants the big picture.  My son the accountant just wants the facts.  Me, I love history and to me background is important.  I like to know where things fit.  Everybody is different.  Fortunately Reg and I were on the same wavelength.  I just needed to know the right questions to unlock the information he held.

Ian