From: Stan Marchand <otr@...>
Date: 9/2/20 11:02 AM (GMT-07:00)
To: main@OldTimeRadioResearchers.groups.io
Subject: [OldTimeRadioResearchers] Stand By For Crime

Stand By for Crime is one of my favorites. It looks like it only lasted
for those 26 episodes that are  in the OTRR collection.

I looked in Dunning's and there is no entry for the series. I looked at
Jerry's logs but could find it there either.

Does anyone have any other information about the series other than what
is in the OTRR folder?

Thanks
Stan

Ian Grieve

Not entirely accurate regarding an Australian version.

Grace Gibson was one of a group of investors in that series from the get go.  26 episodes were made in the U.S. and they were terrible, the other investors dropped out.  Grace brought Langan to Australia and made 27-52 using Australian actors.  Langan couldn't sight read the scripts and act.  He treated the scripts like movie scripts and tried to memorise each one then act.  Lots of problems with the series as a result.  Also lots of problems for other reasons.

Grace had brought the first 26 episodes to Australia with Langan, she had the 16" Transcriptions under her arm and walked through customs.  This was at a time when the Importation of such items from the U.S. was still banned.  U.S. Dollars were for War use not frivolities.  After the series was finished Grace offered the series to a Sydney station for broadcast who took it.  An opposition station had wanted the series and was annoyed and told the authorities about her bringing the 26 episodes in.  Grace unfortunately tried to bluff with a lie, Reg James had to front the authorities to show proof of their arrival by post, couldn't, Grace was charged, found guilty and fined.

Reg always considered the series to be one the worst they made and hated it to his last days.

Ian

There was an Australian version of the show. Glenn Langan travelled to Australia and recorded witn an Australian cast. Grace Gibson has one of the Australian episodes in a variety pack on their website

Sent from my T-Mobile 4G LTE Device

Stand By for Crime is one of my favorites. It looks like it only lasted
for those 26 episodes that are  in the OTRR collection.

I looked in Dunning's and there is no entry for the series. I looked at
Jerry's logs but could find it there either.

Does anyone have any other information about the series other than what
is in the OTRR folder?

Thanks
Stan

Richard Davenport

I have a small collection of misc pic for the Stand By For Crime set.   Most are of the actress but I was able to locate a movie poster of a movie that the main actor also had  a role it...

Labor ipse voluptas

On Wednesday, September 2, 2020, 5:03:47 PM CDT, Ian Grieve <austotr@...> wrote:

[...]

Stand By For Crime - 0010 - 52-06-17 - Trixie's Bank Heist.mp3
Stand By For Crime - 0011 - 52-06-24 - Gladstone Smith Murder.mp3
Stand By For Crime - 0012 - 52-07-01 - Displaced Into Danger.mp3
Stand By For Crime - 0013 - 52-07-08 - Lonely Hearts Club Of Doom.mp3
Stand By For Crime - 0014 - 52-07-15 - The Kidnapper's New Shoes.mp3
Stand By For Crime - 0015 - 52-07-22 - Eddie Flore's Frame-Up.mp3
Stand By For Crime - 0016 - 52-07-29 - Hollywood Love Triangle.mp3
Stand By For Crime - 0017 - 52-00-00 - Mister Hendrick's Mines Of Murder.mp3
Stand By For Crime - 0018 - 53-08-05 - Wetback Murders.mp3
Stand By For Crime - 0019 - 52-08-12 - A Spy Ring In June.mp3
Stand By For Crime - 0020 - 52-08-19 - Quintion McClean's Fortune.mp3
Stand By For Crime - 0021 - 52-08-26 - The Clueless Crime Spree.mp3
Stand By For Crime - 0022 - 52-09-02 - The Sniper.mp3
Stand By For Crime - 0023 - 52-09-09 - Naomi Needs An Operation.mp3
Stand By For Crime - 0024 - 52-09-16 - Subversive Activities.mp3
Stand By For Crime - 0025 - 52-09-23 - Death On The Tracks.mp3
Stand By For Crime - 0026 - 52-09-30 - The Light.mp3

Labor ipse voluptas

On Wednesday, September 2, 2020, 6:12:01 PM CDT, Richard Davenport <klingon1@...> wrote:

[...]

They were husband and wife in real life.

Ian

There was an Australian version of the show. Glenn Langan travelled to Australia and recorded witn an Australian cast. Grace Gibson has one of the Australian episodes in a variety pack on their website

Sent from my T-Mobile 4G LTE Device

Stand By for Crime is one of my favorites. It looks like it only lasted
for those 26 episodes that are  in the OTRR collection.

I looked in Dunning's and there is no entry for the series. I looked at
Jerry's logs but could find it there either.

Does anyone have any other information about the series other than what
is in the OTRR folder?

Thanks
Stan

Stan Marchand

Thanks to Rick, Adam and Ian for responding. It is kind of tacky gut lighthearted and fun.

Ian, are the Episodes 27 - 52 available anywhere for download?

Thanks
Stan

There was an Australian version of the show. Glenn Langan travelled to Australia and recorded witn an Australian cast. Grace Gibson has one of the Australian episodes in a variety pack on their website

Sent from my T-Mobile 4G LTE Device

Stand By for Crime is one of my favorites. It looks like it only lasted
for those 26 episodes that are  in the OTRR collection.

I looked in Dunning's and there is no entry for the series. I looked at
Jerry's logs but could find it there either.

Does anyone have any other information about the series other than what
is in the OTRR folder?

Thanks
Stan

Scott Galley

I have been curious for a couple of years, Ian, ever since I found out that Langan travelled to Australia to continue the series. Did his wife, Adele Jergens go with him? If I remember correctly, the one episode that Bruce has released through the Grace Gibson website did not have Ms. Jergens in it. She was so beautiful, I've always thought that she would've been a big splash in Australia.

As a series, it is light. Not terrible, but not to everyone's taste. My wife and I like it, although Langan's character does come off as a bit of an self-aggrandizing ass.

By the way Ian, those details are gold. Thanks for letting us know.

Scott

Richard Davenport

If anyone has copies of the Austraulian versions of the Stand By For Crime show I would be interested in copies.

On Thursday, September 3, 2020, 7:20:55 AM CDT, Scott Galley via groups.io <scottgalley@...> wrote:

I have been curious for a couple of years, Ian, ever since I found out that Langan travelled to Australia to continue the series. Did his wife, Adele Jergens go with him? If I remember correctly, the one episode that Bruce has released through the Grace Gibson website did not have Ms. Jergens in it. She was so beautiful, I've always thought that she would've been a big splash in Australia.

As a series, it is light. Not terrible, but not to everyone's taste. My wife and I like it, although Langan's character does come off as a bit of an self-aggrandizing ass.

By the way Ian, those details are gold. Thanks for letting us know.

Scott

Ian Grieve

Not that I am aware of.  Surprisingly, some discs survive.  I would think any that came back to Grace Gibson Productions would have been destroyed by Reg James, he detested the series so much.  Bruce only rang yesterday, I should have asked him if he had plans to release the series.  I will contact him in the next day or so.

Ian

There was an Australian version of the show. Glenn Langan travelled to Australia and recorded witn an Australian cast. Grace Gibson has one of the Australian episodes in a variety pack on their website

Sent from my T-Mobile 4G LTE Device

Stand By for Crime is one of my favorites. It looks like it only lasted
for those 26 episodes that are  in the OTRR collection.

I looked in Dunning's and there is no entry for the series. I looked at
Jerry's logs but could find it there either.

Does anyone have any other information about the series other than what
is in the OTRR folder?

Thanks
Stan

Ian Grieve

G'day Scott, no she did not make the trip only Langan.  27-52 received a rewrite but even then it only got released because Grace wanted to get her money back and there was an audience wanting to hear Langan.

I think I have a photo of Grace arriving back with Langan.  I will post it on the Facebook page.

Ian

I have been curious for a couple of years, Ian, ever since I found out that Langan travelled to Australia to continue the series. Did his wife, Adele Jergens go with him? If I remember correctly, the one episode that Bruce has released through the Grace Gibson website did not have Ms. Jergens in it. She was so beautiful, I've always thought that she would've been a big splash in Australia.

As a series, it is light. Not terrible, but not to everyone's taste. My wife and I like it, although Langan's character does come off as a bit of an self-aggrandizing ass.

By the way Ian, those details are gold. Thanks for letting us know.

Scott

Ian Grieve

I neglected to point out that Stand By For Crime was renamed 'Dangerous Interlude'.  That might help people searching for 27-52.

I don't know if it was sold to the U.S. under the new title or not.

Ian

[...]

adam

Episode 47 (I think Episode 21 of the Australian Series) is available for purchase in a variety pack from Grace Gibson:https://gracegibsonradio.com/product/grace-gibson-radio-classics-crime-mystery-vol-4/

Sent from Mail for Windows 10

[...]

I just went through some emails between Reg and I over the years, just searching on Dangerous Interlude.  I had forgotten it was only 2 stations that used that name.  Explains why I was having trouble logging the series when Jack French asked me about it in 2012.

Here are some points taken out of emails between Reg James (who started work at Grace Gibson in 1946 as Office Boy and became the General Manager) and myself.  These were between 2007 & 2012:

Dangerous Interlude was only used because sponsor preferred that title. The opening  and closing tracks were deleted and an acetate containing the Dangerous Interlude info included.

The title DI was not offered to other stations,
Stand By For Crime is a show we would rather forget. Grace did a deal with some US friends. They produced 26 eps titled Dangerous Interlude and we produced another 26 called SBFC. Why the different titles for the same series -- I've no idea. Glen Langan was brought to Sydney to continue as Chuck Morgan but Sheila Sewell took over as his assistant.
Grace carried the first 26 eps through customs under her arm and was later fined 200 pounds for not declaring a prohibited import.We were very naive. I was involved because Customs and despatch were my responsibility .

"Sorry can't remember names of the 2 partners. They lived in LA ,one was a Lawyer and I think he was John--------.
1`-26 were re-mastered here as 27-52 I think. Our entire 52 eps were probably sent to US  and broadcast there under SBFC. We had no documentation on the Dangerous Interlude eps.
Unfortunately Glen couldn't sight read causing many problems in the studio. Scripts were dreadful and somehow had to be brought up to scratch and were also very short.
Grace managed to sell SBFC to the Capital Cities & NZ so probably got her money back..She had a blind spot about US scripts perhaps because she had already brought them & was going to make the best of it.
I have no information on US sales.
The reason NFSA have no copies of SBFC is they were destroyed before Peter Burgis  or collectors came on scene."

The name Peter Burgis is probably not known to you.  He was in radio and pushed hard for an Institution to take responsibility for audio.  He was responsible for the National Film & Sound Archives (NFSA) we have today in Australia.  He was also the first Director.  He was literally saving transcriptions from Landfill.  I have never met him, but he contacted me earlier in the year about a project he is working on, but not my area of interest so I referred his request to another collector in that genre.  Then a week ago his kids contacted me wanting some CDs for him for his Birthday.  So he is still around.

Not a week goes by that I don't miss Reg.  Sadly his wife Neryl also passed away recently.

Ian

[...]

Perhaps we should consider purchasing a copy for dissemination amongst the internal group.

Labor ipse voluptas

On Thursday, September 3, 2020, 7:17:34 PM CDT, Ian Grieve <austotr@...> wrote:

[...]

A google search on Stand By For Crime OTR shows does bring up the standard 1-26 but 0% return on 27-52.  Archive does not have anything.  A search on Dangerous Interlude OTR shows brought up some interesting Romance novel crap but nothing else.  Folks like Ian who are down under might have a better chance of finding them down there.  Ian mentioned one being on a compilation set but I could not spend $30 for one show.  I might contriubute $ towards a group purchase in order to acquire it.

On Thursday, September 3, 2020, 11:42:26 PM CDT, Richard Davenport <klingon1@...> wrote:

[...]

The problem is that Ian is friends of the copyright owner.

Ian

[...]

Is it possibly potentially available to get the information such as the names and dates of the shows so at least we have a record of what they were called and when they were broadcast?

Rick

On Sep 4, 2020, at 1:59 AM, Ian Grieve <austotr@...> wrote:

[...]

I started a log in 2012 , I think I had 20 odd titles, but I wasn't sure if they were from 27-52 or not.  Hence I was asking Reg about what we had in Australia.  I am pretty sure the 26 that Grace brought in and was fined for, were seized.  I don't know if they were returned.

Reg seemed certain we had 52 in Australia.  I will ask the other collectors what has shown up since I asked them in 2012.

Ian

Sent from my SAMSUNG Galaxy S7 on the Telstra Mobile Network

[...]

Ryan Ellett

Ian already addressed this, but I think this gets back to the discussion we had about a Radio Spirits set last week. There seems to be general agreement that distributing commercial products (modern ones at least) is not in the best interests of OTRR. I know Ian will attest (and has) that OTRR over the years has left a sour taste with some individuals because we have not always respected such efforts in years past. This hasn't necessarily happened recently, but people in this hobby have long memories! And events of 5, 10, 15 years ago can still seem "recent."

On Friday, September 4, 2020, 01:43:32 AM CDT, Richard Davenport <klingon1@...> wrote:

A google search on Stand By For Crime OTR shows does bring up the standard 1-26 but 0% return on 27-52.  Archive does not have anything.  A search on Dangerous Interlude OTR shows brought up some interesting Romance novel crap but nothing else.  Folks like Ian who are down under might have a better chance of finding them down there.  Ian mentioned one being on a compilation set but I could not spend $30 for one show.  I might contriubute $ towards a group purchase in order to acquire it.

_._,_._,_