storage in the cloud

Walden Hughes

Hi Everybody,

Mike Hingson, Larry Gassman and I was talking last week and the topic of storing  files in the cloud  came up.  Mike is working with a good company on this and they seem to offer a really good deal with a lot of space.  Mike can you give the details?  This might be the way for many of us to store files in the future in a cloud space.  A group of us have much of our files back up in many different  location and at least 4 back up for each  file on drives.  Please make sure your personal collection are back up at least on two different hard drives.  Hard drives do go bad.  Take care,

Walden

Ryan Ellett

One issue that arises with private account storage - OTRR now has 4TB in pCloud, which is not nearly as much as one would think - is who has access and to what extent? Potentially all these raw .wav (or .flac) files could be added to our account at Archive.org. But the upload/download speeds are pretty slow and we would probably need extra volunteers to make so much of that available. Lots of things to consider as the group moves forward, and to an extent the answers depend on what we really see as OTRR's core mission.
Rya

On Tuesday, December 14, 2021, 12:45:08 PM CST, Walden Hughes <waldenhughes@...> wrote:

Hi Everybody,

Mike Hingson, Larry Gassman and I was talking last week and the topic of storing  files in the cloud  came up.  Mike is working with a good company on this and they seem to offer a really good deal with a lot of space.  Mike can you give the details?  This might be the way for many of us to store files in the future in a cloud space.  A group of us have much of our files back up in many different  location and at least 4 back up for each  file on drives.  Please make sure your personal collection are back up at least on two different hard drives.  Hard drives do go bad.  Take care,

Walden

mail@lokey.info

There is a service called BackBlaze which backs up your computer to the cloud.  This backup includes all external hard drives.  The price is about $6-7/month depending on how you pay.  I set up a machine to act as a file server and connected all of my external hard drives to it.  To me it is well worth the price.

On Tue, Dec 14, 2021 at 12:45 PM Walden Hughes <waldenhughes@...> wrote:

Hi Everybody,

Mike Hingson, Larry Gassman and I was talking last week and the topic of storing  files in the cloud  came up.  Mike is working with a good company on this and they seem to offer a really good deal with a lot of space.  Mike can you give the details?  This might be the way for many of us to store files in the future in a cloud space.  A group of us have much of our files back up in many different  location and at least 4 back up for each  file on drives.  Please make sure your personal collection are back up at least on two different hard drives.  Hard drives do go bad.  Take care,

Walden

Brian Kavanaugh

Their appropriate offering for an organization would be their Backblaze B2, which is $5/TB/month.

On Tue, Dec 14, 2021, 12:56 PM mail@... <mail@...> wrote:
[...]

Wild West Designs

I'm more of a NAS person myself.  I run 3 NASs.  One at my place, one at my sis and one at my parents.  They get a portion of it for their own stuff and I run a portion of it as backups for mine.  They are all scheduled to sync with each other (for my stuff, run different backups for the others), but I have it setup at random times, that way they aren't exposed to the WAN at the same time every time.

Evan

On 2021-12-14 12:45 PM, Walden Hughes wrote:

Hi Everybody,

Mike Hingson, Larry Gassman and I was talking last week and the topic of storing  files in the cloud  came up.  Mike is working with a good company on this and they seem to offer a really good deal with a lot of space.  Mike can you give the details?  This might be the way for many of us to store files in the future in a cloud space.  A group of us have much of our files back up in many different  location and at least 4 back up for each  file on drives.  Please make sure your personal collection are back up at least on two different hard drives.  Hard drives do go bad.  Take care,

Walden

mail@lokey.info

Sorry, was thinking of a personal backup like I use.

On Tue, Dec 14, 2021 at 1:02 PM Brian Kavanaugh via groups.io <brian=briankavanaugh.com@groups.io> wrote:
[...]

Michael Hingson

Hi all,

I have not forgotten Walden’s email below about storage in the cloud. Between keeping busy with work and the holidays I finally had tine to get a bit more info for everyone.

I use a cloud service called Open Drive, https://www.opendrive.com/?od=5ea21d9778dfd. I like it especially because of its ease of use and the fact that it appears just like any other disk on my machine. It has a simple to use app available for most all platforms. Literally, I can copy, cut and do most all other disk operations.

Pricing is pretty great as well. You can get unlimited storage with a personal account for $99/year or $9.99/month. The only caveat is that when you reach 10TB on Opendrive upload speeds throttle back. You can get the “business unlimited account” which permits 20TB of storage before throttling for $29.99/month or $299/year.

On Opendrive you can share files through a “public folder option”. Again, this is an easy to use feature I have found quite helpful.

I am glad to answer any questions you may have. Feel free to email off list if you wish, mike@.... Again, the link is https://www.opendrive.com/?od=5ea21d9778dfd. I do admit this is an affiliate link Opendrive set up for me. I highly recommend Opendrive as a good backup option. Enjoy.

Best Regards,

Michael Hingson

Mike Hingson, Larry Gassman and I was talking last week and the topic of storing  files in the cloud  came up.  Mike is working with a good company on this and they seem to offer a really good deal with a lot of space.  Mike can you give the details?  This might be the way for many of us to store files in the future in a cloud space.  A group of us have much of our files back up in many different  location and at least 4 back up for each  file on drives.  Please make sure your personal collection are back up at least on two different hard drives.  Hard drives do go bad.  Take care,

Walden

Walden Hughes

Thank you Mike,

I say that is a really good price,