Topics

Suspense project -- need help finding missing East-West recordings -- they may be out there in old collections

Joe Webb

I'm at the stage of the Suspense project where I am re-listening to many recordings and I am finding MANY east-west programs in the Roma period from September 14, 1944 to October 20, 1947. Sometimes they are easy to find -- there was a period when the east coast program OCCASIONALLY teased the FBI in Peace and War which followed Suspense in the East and Central time zones. This announcement was optional, so its absence cannot definitively identify a west coast broadcast. It could be an east coast broadcast where they were running out of time.

There is another factor -- the east-west broadcasts are usually virtually exact in the drama, a tribute to the cast, crew, and direction, but the post-drama announcements were flexible as to their timing to meet their usual 29:30 goal. If the broadcast was running out of time, some announcements would be eliminated! If they had more time, the announcements would be read more deliberately, and the Suspense theme would fill in. The CBS network ID had to always be stated at a very specific time. I found for recordings for which I had both east and west, the amount of time between the last word of the last promo announcement to the network ID announcement ("This is CBS, the Columbia...") can vary considerably. It can be announced without a pause ("direct to ID") or there would be time for the Suspense theme, sometimes as much as a minute! These times can vary considerably between same date recordings.

Of the 166 Suspense episodes for this period, there are 86 that I have only one recording and have not found a matching recording to complete the east-west pair. Some may be lost... and that's just the way it is.
In most collections, east or west are not noted, and sometimes the notes are not accurate. There may have been notes at some time in the past, but the reel contents sheet may have gotten lost, or the east or west designation never made it into the file name.

I suspect that for many of the recordings, especially in the early years of collecting, there was a feeling, reasonable for that time, that the episode recordings were exactly the same and having one was just fine... especially when recording tape was so expensive to buy. Better to use the tape on a different recording... I would likely have made the same decision.

MANY OF THESE RECORDINGS HAVE FALLEN OUT OF GENERAL CIRCULATION -- as collectors selected recordings for their personal collections of best Suspense recordings, one might sound better than the other, so the other recording might be put aside, or even erased. Because there were no obvious indications of east or west, the program disappeared from circulation as that collector stopped trading, lost interest, or passed away.

BUT -- SOME VETERAN COLLECTORS MAY HAVE REELS OR CASSETTES OR FILES that they have not reviewed for years... and missing east or west recordings may be sitting there, waiting to be rediscovered!

There is an online spreadsheet that has lots of details about east-west recordings
and also has information for the beginning of the Roma run that had East broadcasts were on Thursdays and West broadcasts were on Mondays.
The workbook can be downloaded or copied from the site.

I have gone through numerous collections that have been sent to me, reel, cassette, digital... and even my own (I have saved every Suspense recording in this project since it started in 2004), and found things that I had put in my "removed" folder that were actually one of the missing east or west parts! I have gone through numerous "bad mp3" collections, and even found things I needed there. The key was that the encodes were done from 1990s reel and cassette collections, prior to the big shift to higher encodes of disc and closer-to-source materials. This was another way that particular recordings fell out of circulation.

The following is a list of the 84 episodes for which I have only a single recording. In some cases, I know it's east or west because of the FBIiP&W mention, or because I have an aircheck from a west coast station like KQW or KNX. I have noted the "time to ID" or some other differentiating factor

What does "help" mean? If there is a way you can check collections and see if you have any of the recordings listed below already marked as east or west and share the recordings with me for evaluation that would be spectacular.

If that is not possible but you are able to share recordings and let me evaluate them that would be great. I can get you a pCloud upload link, if that's the way we decide to work together, and we can proceed from there.

This has been an amazing project, and I have gotten help from around the world as we work to document, preserve, study, and appreciate this remarkable series. I never thought this would become the primary focus of my collecting. It is stunning how the behind-the-scenes information we have been finding just increases the respect we have for all who were involved as the show adapted with the times and navigated a very dynamic broadcast business. There's always something new to find as more newspapers, magazines, industry resources, become available online. This is a remarkable time to be doing OTR research, especially for this high profile series that was always in the news.

Thanks so very much for your kind and generous support!

Best and kindest regards
Joe W

LIST OF SINGLE-RECORDINGS OF SUSPENSE THAT HAVE BEEN LOCATED FROM THE EAST-WEST ROMA PERIOD
Seeking any recording that is DIFFERENT than those listed below.

DATE NAME TO ID
44/09/14 You'll Never See Me Again 4sec to ID
44/09/28 The Man Who Couldn't Lose 8sec to ID
44/10/12 The Merry Widower direct to ID
44/10/26 The Night Man 30sec to ID
44/11/16 Dead of the Night direct to ID
44/11/23 The Fountain Plays 2sec to ID
44/12/14 The Lodger 14sec to ID
44/12/28 A Thing of Beauty direct to ID
45/01/11 Drive-In 2sec to ID
45/01/25 Drury's Bones direct to ID
45/02/01 The Most Dangerous Game 31sec to ID
45/02/15 Sell Me Your Life 24sec to ID
45/02/22 John Barbie and Son 33sec to ID
45/03/15 Cricket direct to ID
45/03/22 Heart's Desire direct to ID
45/05/03 Fear Paints a Picture direct to ID
45/05/10 Reprieve 4sec to ID
45/05/17 Two Birds with One Stone direct to ID
45/06/07 Two Sharp Knives 3sec to ID
45/06/14 The Burning Court 25sec to ID
45/07/05 The Last Detail direct to ID
45/08/09 Murder for Myra 23sec to ID
45/08/23 This Will Kill You direct to ID
45/08/30 Nobody Loves Me direct to ID
45/09/06 Sorry, Wrong Number direct to ID
45/09/13 The Furnished Floor direct to ID
45/09/27 The Earth Is Made of Glass 14sec to ID
45/10/04 Death on Highway 99 4sec to ID
45/11/08 The Bet 16sec to ID
45/11/15 Murder off Key 22sec to ID
45/11/22 Nineteen Deacon Street 2sec to ID
45/12/13 The Argyle Album direct to ID
45/12/20 Double Entry 6sec to ID
45/12/27 Pink Camellias 22sec to ID
46/01/17 The Pasteboard Box 26sec to ID
46/01/24 My Dear Niece direct to ID
46/02/21 Consequence direct to ID
46/03/14 No More Alice direct to ID
46/03/21 The Lonely Road 3sec to ID
46/04/18 The Night Reveals direct to ID
46/04/25 Dark Journey direct to ID
46/05/02 Crime Without Passion 2sec to ID
46/05/16 The Plan 3sec to ID
46/06/06 The High Wall direct to ID
46/07/18 Photo Finish 13sec to ID
46/07/25 Can't We Be Friends 20sec to ID
46/08/01 Commuter's Ticket 3sec to ID
46/08/08 Dead Ernest 2sec to ID
46/08/15 The Last Letter of Dr Bronson 3sec to ID
46/08/22 The Great Horrell 17sec to ID
46/09/05 You'll Never See Me Again 41sec to ID
46/09/26 Statement of Employee Henry Wilson 27sec to ID
46/10/03 Three Times Murder direct to ID
46/10/10 A Plane Case of Murder 13sec to ID
46/10/17 The Man Who Thought He Was Edward G Robinson 4sec to ID
46/10/31 Lazarus Walks mentions FBIiP&W
46/11/14 The One Who Got Away direct to ID
46/11/21 Drive-In direct to ID
46/11/28 The Strange Death of Gordon Fitzroy direct to ID
46/12/05 The House in Cypress Canyon direct to ID
46/12/19 The Thing in the Window mentions FBIiP&W
47/01/02 Tree of Life direct to ID
47/01/23 One Way Street 2sec to ID
47/03/13 You Take Ballistics 10sec to ID
47/04/03 The Swift Rise of Eddie Albright mentions FBIiP&W
47/04/17 Green-Eyed Monster 2sec to ID
47/05/29 A Thing of Beauty 1sec to ID
47/06/26 Phobia says “by transcription” at open
47/07/03 Money Talks 3 sec to ID
47/07/24 Murder by an Expert mentions FBIiP&W
47/07/31 Mortmain 6sec to ID
47/08/07 Quiet Desperation 20sec to ID
47/08/21 Murder Aboard the Alphabet 14sec to ID
47/08/28 Double Ugly 4sec to ID
47/09/04 The Argyle Album direct to ID
47/09/11 The Twist 11sec to ID
47/09/18 The Visitor 19sec to ID
47/09/25 The Blue Hour 5sec to ID
47/10/02 The Story of Markham's Death 7sec to ID
47/10/09 The Man Who Liked Dickens 14sec to ID
47/10/16 Self Defense direct to ID
47/10/23 The X-Ray Camera 2sec to ID
47/11/06 Dream Song 8sec to ID
47/11/13 Riabouchinska 11sec to ID
(this is a west coast aircheck; at 1:34 Bradley says "Riabouchinskee," presumably he says it correctly on the east broadcast)

Joe Webb,

I have a massive collection of Suspense shows.  I have not gotten around to sorting out the dupes and renaming them but you are welcome to get a copy of everything if any are the ones you are seeking.

If you want to mail a small drive here I can copy them over to you and send it back.

A check shows it is 32gb worth.

On Wednesday, July 29, 2020, 4:02:29 PM CDT, Joe Webb via groups.io <drjoewebb@...> wrote:

[...]

A check of my Suspense collection shows the series ran for 945 show tills Sep 30, 1962. I don't have any show prior to #63 but excepting for not having #'s151,175,179,182,237,238,254,297,389,393,430,446-449,478,579,612,631,661,716 I have all the rest.  I have AFRS stuff labeled accordingly.

On Wednesday, July 29, 2020, 6:12:00 PM CDT, Richard Davenport <klingon1@...> wrote:

[...]

I had gotten your set before and reviewed it -- it was mainly the same as was in the OTRR set at that time so there was tremendous overlap -- but it has been many years since then
the best thing to do might be to compare your collection to the log linked below which lists everything in detail
always interested in AFRS i do not have as well as the east-west recordings
can you send me a list of your files? pls send to suspenseOTR@...
THANKS