From: "Walden Hughes"
To: OldTimeRadioResearchers@groups.io
Sent: Friday January 8 2021 4:39:34AM
Subject: [OldTimeRadioResearchers] Ted has a collection of the 1975 shows

Hi Larry,

I was rereading your email.  Ted has at least 40 hours of this series starting on 8-4-75.  That was years ago.  He might have more now.  Take care,

Walden

While they are certainly audio drama in the same mold as the pre-1962 material, they have not traditionally been considered OTR, though they've been collected and enjoyed by hobbyists. There is no right or wrong answer, but in my mind there has to be a cut-off for what we are talking about when we say OTR and 1962 seems to be a convenient, if not perfect, ending point. I usually hear post-1970 productions referred to as New Time Radio, or NTR. Copyright issues become even more dicier when we trading and sharing material from the 1970s and later, and that can also open the door to audio books and such, some of which include sound effects, etc. Obviously the non-American radio does not have the delineation in audio drama eras that we've made here in the States.

On Friday, January 8, 2021, 08:55:58 AM CST, Larry Maupin <lmaupin@...> wrote:

Thank you Walden.  The link you posted in an earlier message shows the four programs that were broadcast in 1975 were The Faces of Love, Author's Studio, The Little Things in Life and To Have N Hold.  I will check Ted's website to find the episodes that he has.  They should definitely provide enough material for an article, and the only thing I would like to know before writing one would be whether other members of this group consider the four series to qualify as old-time radio programs.  CBS Radio Mystery Theater was going strong in 1975 and I think almost everybody thinks of it as an old-time radio series.

If anyone has an opinion about the four series listed above, it would be interesting to know where you stand on the question of whether they should be considered old-time radio programs.

I was rereading your email.  Ted has at least 40 hours of this series starting on 8-4-75.  That was years ago.  He might have more now.  Take care,

Walden

Ryan, that is very clearly stated and convincing.  Does this mean that you would not be interested in publishing an article on them in Old Radio Times?  Just curious.

I was rereading your email.  Ted has at least 40 hours of this series starting on 8-4-75.  That was years ago.  He might have more now.  Take care,

Walden

Larry Gassman

I agree With Ryan.

As someone who has been in this hobby since 1970, It has always been 1962 as the cut off point.

Anything beyond that seems to be considered new time radio.

This is not cast in stone, just a thought process by those of us who are still around and lived in the early days of the hobby since the mid sixties.

Larry

Ryan, that is very clearly stated and convincing.  Does this mean that you would not be interested in publishing an article on them in Old Radio Times?  Just curious.

I was rereading your email.  Ted has at least 40 hours of this series starting on 8-4-75.  That was years ago.  He might have more now.  Take care,

Walden

BrianWest2@...

Hi Larry,

To me Old Time Radio means the original continuing shows that ended in 1962 (I think). I would think these four shows and CBSRMT are an attempt of OTR Revival. However, I've been accused more than once of overthinking things and would not argue with these newer shows as OTR.

Brian

[...]

Damon Fries

I use 1962 but there’s a bit of a gray area with shows from abroad ....

Sent via mobile phone

On 8 Jan 2021, at 16:35, Larry Gassman <larrygassman@...> wrote:

I agree With Ryan.

As someone who has been in this hobby since 1970, It has always been 1962 as the cut off point.

Anything beyond that seems to be considered new time radio.

This is not cast in stone, just a thought process by those of us who are still around and lived in the early days of the hobby since the mid sixties.

Larry

Ryan, that is very clearly stated and convincing.  Does this mean that you would not be interested in publishing an article on them in Old Radio Times?  Just curious.

I was rereading your email.  Ted has at least 40 hours of this series starting on 8-4-75.  That was years ago.  He might have more now.  Take care,

Walden

Hi Brian,

I agree with your comments, and anything that has the characteristics of old-time radio is always interesting to me.  I will probably get an episode or two of each of the four shows and listen to them to find out how much they sound like old-time radio.

[...]

Thanks Larry

[...]

One interesting aspect of this conversation is that for us today, the shows from the 1970s are older (40-50 years) than most OTR was to hobbyists in the 1970s when a lot of it was 20-30 years old, 40 years tops. Maybe we can call the 1970s-era revival material the Silver Age of radio drama.

On Friday, January 8, 2021, 10:53:10 AM CST, Larry Maupin <lmaupin@...> wrote:

Hi Brian,

I agree with your comments, and anything that has the characteristics of old-time radio is always interesting to me.  I will probably get an episode or two of each of the four shows and listen to them to find out how much they sound like old-time radio.

You are welcome Brian.  Happy weekend!