Topics

Ted has a collection of the 1975 shows

Walden Hughes

Hi Larry,

I was rereading your email.  Ted has at least 40 hours of this series starting on 8-4-75.  That was years ago.  He might have more now.  Take care,

Walden

Larry Maupin

Thank you Walden.  The link you posted in an earlier message shows the four programs that were broadcast in 1975 were The Faces of Love, Author's Studio, The Little Things in Life and To Have N Hold.  I will check Ted's website to find the episodes that he has.  They should definitely provide enough material for an article, and the only thing I would like to know before writing one would be whether other members of this group consider the four series to qualify as old-time radio programs.  CBS Radio Mystery Theater was going strong in 1975 and I think almost everybody thinks of it as an old-time radio series.

If anyone has an opinion about the four series listed above, it would be interesting to know where you stand on the question of whether they should be considered old-time radio programs.

Larry 

-----------------------------------------

To: OldTimeRadioResearchers@groups.io
Cc:
Sent: Friday January 8 2021 4:39:34AM
Subject: [OldTimeRadioResearchers] Ted has a collection of the 1975 shows

Hi Larry,

I was rereading your email.  Ted has at least 40 hours of this series starting on 8-4-75.  That was years ago.  He might have more now.  Take care,

Walden

--
Larry Maupin

Ryan Ellett

While they are certainly audio drama in the same mold as the pre-1962 material, they have not traditionally been considered OTR, though they've been collected and enjoyed by hobbyists. There is no right or wrong answer, but in my mind there has to be a cut-off for what we are talking about when we say OTR and 1962 seems to be a convenient, if not perfect, ending point. I usually hear post-1970 productions referred to as New Time Radio, or NTR. Copyright issues become even more dicier when we trading and sharing material from the 1970s and later, and that can also open the door to audio books and such, some of which include sound effects, etc. Obviously the non-American radio does not have the delineation in audio drama eras that we've made here in the States.
Ryan

www.RyanEllett.com

The Old Time Radio Researchers
"Saving the Past for the Future"

www.OTRR.org
www.OTRRLibrary.org

On Friday, January 8, 2021, 08:55:58 AM CST, Larry Maupin <lmaupin@...> wrote:

Thank you Walden.  The link you posted in an earlier message shows the four programs that were broadcast in 1975 were The Faces of Love, Author's Studio, The Little Things in Life and To Have N Hold.  I will check Ted's website to find the episodes that he has.  They should definitely provide enough material for an article, and the only thing I would like to know before writing one would be whether other members of this group consider the four series to qualify as old-time radio programs.  CBS Radio Mystery Theater was going strong in 1975 and I think almost everybody thinks of it as an old-time radio series.

If anyone has an opinion about the four series listed above, it would be interesting to know where you stand on the question of whether they should be considered old-time radio programs.

Larry 

Cc:

Hi Larry,

Walden

--
Larry Maupin

Larry Maupin

Ryan, that is very clearly stated and convincing.  Does this mean that you would not be interested in publishing an article on them in Old Radio Times?  Just curious.

Larry

To: "main@OldTimeRadioResearchers.groups.io"
Cc:
Sent: Friday January 8 2021 10:09:54AM
Subject: Re: [OldTimeRadioResearchers] Ted has a collection of the 1975 shows

While they are certainly audio drama in the same mold as the pre-1962 material, they have not traditionally been considered OTR, though they've been collected and enjoyed by hobbyists. There is no right or wrong answer, but in my mind there has to be a cut-off for what we are talking about when we say OTR and 1962 seems to be a convenient, if not perfect, ending point. I usually hear post-1970 productions referred to as New Time Radio, or NTR. Copyright issues become even more dicier when we trading and sharing material from the 1970s and later, and that can also open the door to audio books and such, some of which include sound effects, etc. Obviously the non-American radio does not have the delineation in audio drama eras that we've made here in the States.
Ryan

www.RyanEllett.com

www.OTRR.org
www.OTRRLibrary.org

Larry 

Cc:

Hi Larry,

Walden

--
Larry Maupin

--
Larry Maupin

Larry Gassman

I agree With Ryan.

As someone who has been in this hobby since 1970, It has always been 1962 as the cut off point.

Anything beyond that seems to be considered new time radio.

This is not cast in stone, just a thought process by those of us who are still around and lived in the early days of the hobby since the mid sixties.

Larry

From: main@OldTimeRadioResearchers.groups.io <main@OldTimeRadioResearchers.groups.io> On Behalf Of Larry Maupin
Sent: Friday, January 8, 2021 7:31 AM
To: 'main@OldTimeRadioResearchers.groups.io' <main@OldTimeRadioResearchers.groups.io>

Ryan, that is very clearly stated and convincing.  Does this mean that you would not be interested in publishing an article on them in Old Radio Times?  Just curious.

Larry

Cc:

Ryan

Larry 

Cc:

Hi Larry,

Walden

--
Larry Maupin

--
Larry Maupin

BrianWest2@...

Hi Larry,

To me Old Time Radio means the original continuing shows that ended in 1962 (I think). I would think these four shows and CBSRMT are an attempt of OTR Revival. However, I've been accused more than once of overthinking things and would not argue with these newer shows as OTR.

Brian

-----Original Message-----
To: 'main@OldTimeRadioResearchers.groups.io' <main@OldTimeRadioResearchers.groups.io>
Sent: Fri, Jan 8, 2021 9:55 am

Larry 

Cc:

Hi Larry,

Walden

--
Larry Maupin

Damon Fries

I use 1962 but there’s a bit of a gray area with shows from abroad .... 

Sent via mobile phone

On 8 Jan 2021, at 16:35, Larry Gassman <larrygassman@...> wrote:

I agree With Ryan.

As someone who has been in this hobby since 1970, It has always been 1962 as the cut off point.

Anything beyond that seems to be considered new time radio.

This is not cast in stone, just a thought process by those of us who are still around and lived in the early days of the hobby since the mid sixties.

Larry

From: main@OldTimeRadioResearchers.groups.io <main@OldTimeRadioResearchers.groups.io> On Behalf Of Larry Maupin
Sent: Friday, January 8, 2021 7:31 AM

Larry

Cc:

Ryan

Larry 

Cc:

Hi Larry,

Walden

--
Larry Maupin

--
Larry Maupin

Larry Maupin

Hi Brian,

I agree with your comments, and anything that has the characteristics of old-time radio is always interesting to me.  I will probably get an episode or two of each of the four shows and listen to them to find out how much they sound like old-time radio.  

Larry

Cc:
Sent: Friday January 8 2021 10:42:50AM

Hi Larry,

To me Old Time Radio means the original continuing shows that ended in 1962 (I think). I would think these four shows and CBSRMT are an attempt of OTR Revival. However, I've been accused more than once of overthinking things and would not argue with these newer shows as OTR.

Brian

Larry 

Cc:

Hi Larry,

Walden

--
Larry Maupin

--
Larry Maupin

BrianWest2@...

Thanks Larry

Sent: Fri, Jan 8, 2021 11:53 am

Hi Brian,

I agree with your comments, and anything that has the characteristics of old-time radio is always interesting to me.  I will probably get an episode or two of each of the four shows and listen to them to find out how much they sound like old-time radio.  

Larry

Cc:

Hi Larry,

Brian

Larry 

Cc:

Hi Larry,

Walden

--
Larry Maupin

--
Larry Maupin

Ryan Ellett

One interesting aspect of this conversation is that for us today, the shows from the 1970s are older (40-50 years) than most OTR was to hobbyists in the 1970s when a lot of it was 20-30 years old, 40 years tops. Maybe we can call the 1970s-era revival material the Silver Age of radio drama. 
Ryan

www.RyanEllett.com

www.OTRR.org
www.OTRRLibrary.org

On Friday, January 8, 2021, 10:53:10 AM CST, Larry Maupin <lmaupin@...> wrote:

Hi Brian,

Larry

Larry Maupin

You are welcome Brian.  Happy weekend!

Larry

Cc:
Sent: Friday January 8 2021 11:54:59AM

Thanks Larry

Sent: Fri, Jan 8, 2021 11:53 am

Hi Brian,

Larry

Cc:

Hi Larry,

Brian

Larry 

Cc:

Hi Larry,

Walden

--
Larry Maupin

--
Larry Maupin

--
Larry Maupin

Larry Maupin

Ryan, I have been online for three hours this morning, and I always reply to any message directed to me as a courtesy and an acknowledgement of how much I value every member's opinion, which is why I have posted so many messages today.

But this will be the last one for several hours.  I would just like to say that I think your idea is great!

Larry

Cc:
Sent: Friday January 8 2021 12:03:45PM

One interesting aspect of this conversation is that for us today, the shows from the 1970s are older (40-50 years) than most OTR was to hobbyists in the 1970s when a lot of it was 20-30 years old, 40 years tops. Maybe we can call the 1970s-era revival material the Silver Age of radio drama. 
Ryan

www.RyanEllett.com

www.OTRR.org
www.OTRRLibrary.org

Hi Brian,

Larry

--
Larry Maupin

Michael Hingson

Is it really all in a name? I too like Ryan’s idea, but in one sense, isn’t it all OTR today? SPERDVAC does not directly say only shows before 1962 are OTR, so far as I know. It’s all radio and still, as Fred Allen would point out, better than that new medium television…

By the way, does anyone have an interview or radio show where Fred Allen made that comment? I think the wording was “they call television the new medium because that’s as good as it is going to get”. Exact or not, what a true comment.

Best Regards,

Michael Hingson

From: main@OldTimeRadioResearchers.groups.io On Behalf Of Larry Maupin
Sent: Friday, January 8, 2021 9:25 AM

Ryan, I have been online for three hours this morning, and I always reply to any message directed to me as a courtesy and an acknowledgement of how much I value every member's opinion, which is why I have posted so many messages today.

But this will be the last one for several hours.  I would just like to say that I think your idea is great!

Larry

Cc:

Ryan

Hi Brian,

Larry

--
Larry Maupin

Randy Watts

One of those four shows, Peg Lynch's THE LITTLE THINGS IN LIFE, was a "golden age" revival. Lynch had been doing variations on that series, originally titled ETHEL AND ALBERT, since the early 1940s, on both radio and 1950s television. It can best be described as a "light domestic comedy." It ran on CBS daytime in a quarter-hour format from 1957 to 1960 as THE COUPLE NEXT DOOR. A lot of those CBS shows survive in nice sound and I enjoy listening to them.  Lynch created the series, wrote it, starred in it, and owned it. ETHEL AND ALBERT was revived in the mid-1960s as a feature on NBC Radio's MONITOR and in the early 1970s on NPR's EARPLAY before brought back for a final time as THE LITTLE THINGS IN LIFE in 1975-76.

Randy

<><><><><>

Hi Brian,

Larry

Cc:

Hi Larry,

Brian

Larry 

Cc:

Hi Larry,

Walden

--
Larry Maupin

--
Larry Maupin

Larry Maupin

If it's at least half a century old, that's old enough for me.

Larry

To: main@OldTimeRadioResearchers.groups.io
Cc:
Sent: Friday January 8 2021 12:33:04PM

Is it really all in a name? I too like Ryan’s idea, but in one sense, isn’t it all OTR today? SPERDVAC does not directly say only shows before 1962 are OTR, so far as I know. It’s all radio and still, as Fred Allen would point out, better than that new medium television…

By the way, does anyone have an interview or radio show where Fred Allen made that comment? I think the wording was “they call television the new medium because that’s as good as it is going to get”. Exact or not, what a true comment.

Best Regards,

Michael Hingson

Larry

Cc:

Ryan

Hi Brian,

Larry

--
Larry Maupin

--
Larry Maupin

Larry Maupin

That's a good history of the series Randy.  If we use Ryan's suggestion I think The Little Things in Life definitely belongs in The Silver Age of Radio.

Larry

Cc:
Sent: Friday January 8 2021 12:38:56PM

One of those four shows, Peg Lynch's THE LITTLE THINGS IN LIFE, was a "golden age" revival. Lynch had been doing variations on that series, originally titled ETHEL AND ALBERT, since the early 1940s, on both radio and 1950s television. It can best be described as a "light domestic comedy." It ran on CBS daytime in a quarter-hour format from 1957 to 1960 as THE COUPLE NEXT DOOR. A lot of those CBS shows survive in nice sound and I enjoy listening to them.  Lynch created the series, wrote it, starred in it, and owned it. ETHEL AND ALBERT was revived in the mid-1960s as a feature on NBC Radio's MONITOR and in the early 1970s on NPR's EARPLAY before brought back for a final time as THE LITTLE THINGS IN LIFE in 1975-76.

Randy

<><><><><>

Hi Brian,

Larry

Cc:

Hi Larry,

Brian

Larry 

Cc:

Hi Larry,

Walden

--
Larry Maupin

--
Larry Maupin

--
Larry Maupin

Michael Hingson

If it’s a rerun I see on air for more than two years it’s old enough for me, especially if it still continues to rerun. 😊

Sent: Friday, January 8, 2021 2:10 PM

Larry

Cc:

Best Regards,

Michael Hingson

Larry

Cc:

Ryan

Hi Brian,

Larry

--
Larry Maupin

--
Larry Maupin

Larry Maupin

That's funny!  Having a short memory I think is really helpful when it comes to television, especially if you watch reruns of sitcoms.

Cc:
Sent: Friday January 8 2021 5:14:46PM

If it’s a rerun I see on air for more than two years it’s old enough for me, especially if it still continues to rerun. 😊

Larry

Cc:

Best Regards,

Michael Hingson

Larry

Cc:

Ryan

Hi Brian,

Larry

--
Larry Maupin

--
Larry Maupin

--
Larry Maupin

Michael Hingson

Agreed.

Sent: Friday, January 8, 2021 2:44 PM

That's funny!  Having a short memory I think is really helpful when it comes to television, especially if you watch reruns of sitcoms.

Cc:
Sent: Friday January 8 2021 5:14:46PM

Larry

Cc:

Best Regards,

Michael Hingson

Larry

Cc:

Ryan

Hi Brian,

Larry

--
Larry Maupin

--
Larry Maupin

--
Larry Maupin

Scott Galley

As to whether or not this can be considered OTR or OTR revival, with regard to 'The Little Things in Life', Peg Lynch seemed to be recycling scripts (or at least script ideas) from her earlier show, 'The Couple Next Door'. I have seen an episode of the television show for the 1950's that matched the 1975 revival almost word for word, if I remember correctly.

Everyone seems to have their own interpretation of what Old Time Radio is. I for one, have never cared for the acronym OTR. I've always thought it sounded a tad corny. Just me. No hate mail please. I prefer to call it Golden Age Radio, as opposed to Contemporary Radio. As such, in my database, anything American pre-1962 is Golden Age. After that it Contemporary. So the 'Little Things in Life' is just a great example of Contemporary Radio.

It's easier for British Radio. When the BBC changed their call sign ons and frequencies in 1967, that's the cut off point for me. So, when in September of 1967 the BBC Light Programme became BBC Radio 2, the Golden Age ended and the Contemporary Age began. At least, that's how I log it.