The Big Story -- Zoom presentation on Friday Aug 12 at 7:30pm US -- YOU'RE INVITED!

Joe Webb

Edited

Send an e-mail to suspenseotr@... and you will get a bounceback email with the Zoom details for audio or video. Call-in numbers are available for those who do not want to log in on their computers.

ALL TIMES ARE EASTERN US TIMES

THANK YOU, Metro Washington OTR Club (MWOTRC), for opening the presentation up to members and non-members

MWOTRC will have their regular member meeting starting at 7:30pm and the presentation will begin at about 8:10 or 8:15 and last an hour. Be sure to log in at whatever time you prefer to hear the presentation... OR... sign in at 7:30 and enjoy their fun.

MWOTRC is one of classic radio's longest-running clubs, and its members stayed together during the COVID lockdowns by switching to Zoom. They still meet in person now and then, especially during the Mid-Atlantic Nostalgia Convention, putting on recreations at that event.

Joe, I assume this is Eastern time?

On Thursday, August 11, 2022, 07:00:22 AM CDT, Joe Webb via groups.io <drjoewebb@...> wrote:

Send an e-mail to suspenseotr@... and you will get a bounceback email with the Zoom details for audio or video. Call-in numbers are available for those who do not want to log in on their computers.

THANK YOU, Metro Washington OTR Club (MWOTRC), for opening the presentation up to members and non-members

MWOTRC will have their regular member meeting starting at 7:30pm and the presentation will begin at about 8:10 or 8:15 and last an hour. Be sure to log in at whatever time you prefer to hear the presentation... OR... sign in at 7:30 and enjoy their fun.

MWOTRC is one of classic radio's longest-running clubs, and its members stayed together during the COVID lockdowns by switching to Zoom. They still meet in person now and then, especially during the Mid-Atlantic Nostalgia Convention, putting on recreations at that event.

thanks for catching that -- i have edited the text to indicate that

The presentation is now online
https://youtu.be/fTXFY-bPBFQ?t=2194

It's the full meeting of MWOTRC, but that link will start the video at the beginning of [i]The Big Story [/i]presentation.
It's followed by a discussion about the late Jay Hickerson

The web page created for the presentation is available at https://sites.google.com/view/thebigstoryformwotrc/home

The COMPLETE SET of circulating TBS is available there as well as some interesting items that were discussed in the presentation

A PDF of the slides can be downloaded as well.

--

Litsey, Alan

Thank you, Joe. As always, so appreciate your outstanding research and your wonderful story-telling. All the best, Alan

From: main@OldTimeRadioResearchers.groups.io <main@OldTimeRadioResearchers.groups.io> on behalf of Joe Webb via groups.io <drjoewebb@...>
Date: Sunday, August 14, 2022 at 3:57 PM
To: main@OldTimeRadioResearchers.groups.io <main@OldTimeRadioResearchers.groups.io>
Subject: Re: [OldTimeRadioResearchers] The Big Story -- Zoom presentation on Friday Aug 12 at 7:30pm US -- YOU'RE INVITED!

The presentation is now online
https://youtu.be/fTXFY-bPBFQ?t=2194

It's the full meeting of MWOTRC, but that link will start the video at the beginning of [i]The Big Story [/i]presentation.
It's followed by a discussion about the late Jay Hickerson

The web page created for the presentation is available at https://sites.google.com/view/thebigstoryformwotrc/home

The COMPLETE SET of circulating TBS is available there as well as some interesting items that were discussed in the presentation

A PDF of the slides can be downloaded as well.

--

Bob@...

Thanks again, Joe, for your work on Big Story and for putting your presentation online....

My Friday nights are committed to playing the mandolin and banjo-ukulele for no money down/up in Floyd, Va., so I couldn't wat live -- or dive 4 or 5 hours to be there in person

Looking forward to watching your presentation tonight! (After my local Monday music jam!)

Bob in southwest Virginia

Bob@...

Thanks, Joe! Both for the Big Story presentation and for the JHeroes.com shout-out...

You mentioned that some of the stories were broadcast long after the reporter in question had left the newspaper business, which was something that had struck me 10 years ago when I wrote about The Hartford Courant and those nursing home murders that also inspired the play and movie "Arsenic & Old Lace." https://jheroes.com/2012/09/01/arsenic-and-old-headlines/

Coincidentally, a year after my blog post, a 1970s Courant colleague of mine dug back into the case in an op-edit arguing for strong public-record laws, the Courant having made its arsenic case using evidence from death certificates and poison-sales records: https://www.courant.com/opinion/hc-xpm-2013-04-12-hc-op-robillard-death-certificates-unravel-arsenic-20130412-story.html

He also mentions that the managing editor and another reporter were part of the project. I forget whether The Big Story gives them any credit.

Finally, for anyone curious, here's the song behind my remark (I still haven't remembered who made it) about reporters finding other journalists "most interesting people."

https://youtu.be/URjif7Z9BEw

It was originally a Newspaper Guild organizing song, which I always misquote as "Newspapermen meet the most interesting people" instead of "such interesting," and like the creators of The Big Story it had a remark about the movie-industry stereotype of reporters ... no offense to Flash Casey...

Now, newspapermen are such interesting people. They used to work like Hell just for romance,
But finally, the movies notwithstanding, They all got tired of patches on their pants.
They organized a union, they won a living wage. They joined progressive actors upon a living stage.
Now newspapermen meet real interesting people, Who know they've got a people's fight to wage.

Coincidentally, that recording was from 1947, the same year The Big Story began -- and the year I was born.

;-)

Cheers,

Bob