The New Jack Carson Show -- need help getting a date for it

Joe Webb

Here's an interesting item, but we can't date it.

New Jack Carson Show (sometime Oct48-Jul49) GloriaDeHaven BingCrosby EdwArnold.mp3
https://we.tl/t-LO4vbpAS49

As best I can determine it is the only surviving recording of "The New Jack Carson Show" after he left Sealtest's sponsorship. The show began in October 1948 and ended after one July 1949 performance.

It's similar but it's not this (from RGI)...
Command Performance. February 01, 1945. Program #160. AFRS origination. Gloria De Haven sings, "The Man I Love." Jack Carson plans to show Gloria around Hollywood. Carmen Miranda sings, "Tico, Tico." The date above is the recording date. Ken Carpenter (announcer), Gloria De Haven (m. c.), Jack Carson, Edward Arnold, Carmen Miranda, Bing Crosby. 30:47. Audio Condition: Very good. Complete.
It's a re-used script, it seems, but not a re-used performance. The CP broadcast is at least 3.5 and possibly 4.5 years before this one.

There are no newspaper.com clips that relate to this line-up of guests. DeHaven and Carson were part of some fund-raising stage performances around this time, and those come up in the searches.

Perhaps someone who has something other than newspapers.com with a different selection of newspaper archives can find something?

In the meantime... enjoy the show!

JWW
--

Scott Mahan

I have newspaperarchive.com in addition to newspapers.com and, indeed, it does have a different, although overlapping, selection of newspaper archives.

However, I don’t find anything there either.

[...]

Thanks very much for looking!
--

Walden Hughes

Hi Joe,

I played the show and I think we have two shows put together.  The first one up to Bing Crosby either 1944 or 1945.  They talked about Bing sponsor Kraft.  They featured Bing song from the movie Going My Way.  The end must be around 1948 when the movie the Champ came out.  Take care,

Walden

[...]

Walden:

Then where does the "New Jack Carson Show" opening come from?

--

Walden Hughes

Hi Joe,

I know AFRS did this a lot in 1948.  I have several Bob Hope shows where they took two different shows and made it in to one.  For example you can compared a network Bob Hope show from 1948 and match it up again the AFRS  with the same date and see how they did this.  I bet they did this with Jack Carson show in 1948.  Jack had different version of his shows over the years.  SPERDVAC had some in 1944.  This is during the time Shirley Mitchell played his girlfriend on the Christmas show for example.  Then when they move to Campbell  Soup Norma Jean Nillson  became  a feature player and she got bill board as 9 years old Norma Jean Nillson.  In the 1950s Sue Rainey who is a SPERDVAC honorary  member.  Tolde Larry Gassman and I she was the singer on the show.  It was a smaller cast during that time.  Take care,

Walden