The Sealed Book

Jim Jones

One of the great things about OTR is rediscovering an old show. Since there are so many shows to listen to, it is easy to file away and forget an old favorite. When you do pull up that old forgotten file, it is like meeting an old friend on the street. Pleasant memories of past events come to mind.

This is the experience I had when, this week, I came across The Sealed Book. I have not listened to that series in probably 15-20 years, but when I started the series some old and pleasant memories came to mind.

For those who have not listened to The Sealed Book, it is a well-written suspense show. Many of the episodes have surprise endings much like The Whistler. Some may not like the overdramatic announcer, but he grows on you.

The major downside of the existing shows are the LOOOONNNGGG interludes of organ music. Organ music is inserted where commercials are intended to be. These 4 commercial breaks contain over 5 minutes of really bad organ music (noise).

However, I have fixed that problem by removing these unnecessary organ interludes. There is still plenty of organ music as the show uses it for background and emphasis, similar to Boston Blackie. I have posted these updated (and much more listenable) shows to the cloud if anyone would like them. The link is:
https://u.pcloud.link/publink/show?code=kZAUF1XZ3RYk9r3vLKYx4Sc4vhPuG8yL347k

I hope everyone finds these shows more enjoyable without the long and tedious breaks in the story line.

jj

Gordon Johansen

Thanks Jim.  I haven't listened to this one in a long time either. Loud music is one of the things that stops me from listening to a show as I fall asleep.

Gord

--
Sent from Postbox

Brian Allen

I will check them out.  Thanks

On Tuesday, April 27, 2021, 11:11:46 AM EDT, Jim Jones <otr@...> wrote:

[...]

K & J Hammel

Thanks, Jim.

Quite a few of my old shows are on ancient CDs and some of those have gone bad, so it's always nice to grab some replacements that I can store on more reliable media.

Kathy

On Tuesday, April 27, 2021, 08:11:54 AM PDT, Jim Jones <otr@...> wrote:

[...]

Mike Thomas

Right on! That show and The Strange Dr. Weird have many scripts that are really from the Mysterious Traveler Arena. Robert Arthur and David Kogan were such a remarkable team. Shows are gems to be sure

On Tue, Apr 27, 2021 at 9:14 AM, K & J Hammel
<haml@...> wrote:
[...]

Richard Davenport

Kathy just because a CD is scratched doesn’t mean it’s not recoverable. They have devices that work the same way that clean up audio media CDs work on data CDs. Pop over to Amazon and pick you up one they’re cheap but it might save your data.

Rick

<haml@...> wrote:
[...]

jackies@tularosa.net

I can't understand why people want to take out the commercials out of the OTR shows because I consider them part of the shows. I know that I don't agree with some of the shows but that it what they were when the shows were first played.
Jackie

[...]

Thanks Rick for the suggestion. Fortunately much of what it has been difficult to get off the CDs is fairly easy to recover from other sources, so at this point I’m not missing anything urgent. But it’s good to know that there are alternatives if I run into a situation where I really would like to recover something.

Kathy

<haml@...> wrote:
[...]

Please read my entire post! I can assure you that NO COMMERCIALS WERE REMOVED. The shows that are presently  in circulation are studio productions. They did not have commercials. Instead of commercials they interjected one and a half to two minutes of organ droning, 4 times during the 1/2 hour show. This is where stations would later substitute commercials. These long periods of  impromptu organ recitals disrupt the flow of the story line and add no entertainment value. They are merely a spacer, a time filler.

If you prefer to listen to the originals with the 5 minutes of additional organ noise, please feel free to. No one is asking you not to. These shows are readily available all over the internet., youtube, archive.org, dc++, OTRR library... However, I took the time to edit and provided this version for any OTR listener who would like to enjoy these highly entertaining  well produced stories without the unproductive unnecessary noise interruptions.  As you can see by previous posts, many enthusiasts do appreciate the quality of this particular show.

Please listen to both versions before making such an uninformed criticism.

Long time OTR fan

JJ

I can't understand why people want to take out the commercials out of
the OTR shows because I consider them part of the shows.  I know that I
don't agree with some of the shows but that it what they were when the
shows were first played.
Jackie
> One of the great things about OTR is rediscovering an old show. Since
> there are so many shows to listen to, it is easy to file away and
> forget an old favorite. When you do pull up that old forgotten file,
> it is like meeting an old friend on the street. Pleasant memories of
> past events come to mind.
>
> This is the experience I had when, this week, I came across The Sealed
> Book. I have not listened to that series in probably 15-20 years, but
> when I started the series some old and pleasant memories came to mind.
>
> For those who have not listened to The Sealed Book, it is a
> well-written suspense show. Many of the episodes have surprise endings
> much like The Whistler. Some may not like the over dramatic announcer,
> but he grows on you.
>
> The major downside of the existing shows are the LOOOONNNGGG
> interludes of organ music. Organ music is inserted where commercials
> are intended to be. These 4 commercial breaks contain over 5 minutes
> of really bad organ music (noise).
>
> However, I have fixed that problem by removing these unnecessary organ
> interludes. There is still plenty of organ music as the show uses it
> for background and emphasis, similar to Boston Blackie. I have posted
> these updated (and much more listenable) shows to the cloud if anyone
> would like them. The link is:
> https://u.pcloud.link/publink/show?code=kZAUF1XZ3RYk9r3vLKYx4Sc4vhPuG8yL347k
>
> I hope everyone finds these shows more enjoyable without the long and
> tedious breaks in the story line.

jackies@tularosa.net

Dear Jim:

I did not mean to imply that you had taken the commercials off I thought someone else had done that at some time. I did not mean to hurt you. I have had some in the past that I picked up at yard sales (in the day of cassettes) where people had taken and just removed the commercials because they did not like them. As a person who is a true preservationist I would never ever think you would do that yourself. I know how highly you consider your work and I thank you for that.

Sincerely

Jackie Schlageter

Litsey, Alan

Thank you, Jim for sharing these awesome shows. Alan

On Apr 27, 2021, at 9:11 PM, Jim Jones <otr@...> wrote:

[...]

Joe Webb

nice profile of David Kogan
http://www.radiospirits.info/2015/12/22/happy-birthday-david-kogan/