Topics

To All Members

Larry Maupin

Having just submitted an article yesterday I am at loose ends about what to do next. If anyone has a suggestion, such as a topic for an article, I would welcome it and give it serious consideration.

Two subjects I have been thinking about are a murder case in Backstage Wife and the 1975 revival of old-time radio that would be limited to the four series with six-month runs in that year that Walden Hughes first mentioned in a post several weeks ago.

Unfortunately I cannot find that post.  Will someone please remind me of what the four series were?  Walden or someone else sent a link that led right to the OTRR Library and I found numerous episodes of all four of them that have very good sound quality.

Thank you to any and all members who will post the list again.

peterjaybird@...

Hi Larry,

Would you consider "Radio Playhouse" (1975-76)?  None of the episodes have names, and ity's doubtful that they've been verified to be correct.

Cheers,

Pete

On Thursday, February 4, 2021, 10:43:11 AM EST, Larry Maupin <lmaupin@...> wrote:

Having just submitted an article yesterday I am at loose ends about what to do next. If anyone has a suggestion, such as a topic for an article, I would welcome it and give it serious consideration.

Two subjects I have been thinking about are a murder case in Backstage Wife and the 1975 revival of old-time radio that would be limited to the four series with six-month runs in that year that Walden Hughes first mentioned in a post several weeks ago.

Unfortunately I cannot find that post.  Will someone please remind me of what the four series were?  Walden or someone else sent a link that led right to the OTRR Library and I found numerous episodes of all four of them that have very good sound quality.

Thank you to any and all members who will post the list again.

Michael Hingson

I am trying to remember Walden’s suggestions. Certainly CBS Mystery Theater. One I mentioned was Zero hour with Rod Serling which didn’t last as long but was broadcasted nationwide.

I’m sure Walden will jump in.

Best Regards,

Michael Hingson

[...]

Hi Pete,

I would definitely consider it.  The names of the four series are gradually coming back to me, but I did not remember "Radio Playhouse."  I think the other three are "Actor's Studio," "To Have and Hold" and "The Little Things in Life."  If any of these are incorrect, I hope you or another member will correct me and provide the right title.

It is easy to believe, judging from the titles, that these series embody the spirit of old-time radio just as "The CBS Radio Mystery Theater" is widely considered to.

One of the best things about writing an article entitled "The 1975 Revival of Old-Time Radio" or, as Ryan suggested (I think seriously) "The Silver Age of Radio" would be that other members of the group can contribute to it by providing background stories from newspapers or magazines, radio logs and visual illustrations such as photographs and even episode summaries.

I think it invigorates the group and increases our sense of solidarity and purpose when several members are working together on the same project.  I mention about six fellow members by name in the article on the 1965 revival which is scheduled to be published this month, and two others in the article I submitted yesterday.

[...]

Michael, this morning I read an article in the New York Times archives by Les Brown dated May 2, 1974.  It mentioned CBS Mystery Theater as being broadcast on WOR-New York and also noted  that "The Mutual Broadcasting System this week has renewed Hollywood Radio Theater-Zero Hour for an additional 13 weeks."

I do think that one article on the four series that Walden mentioned as having six-month runs in 1975 could lead to others on the same subject by other writers.  David Oxford could probably write a book on CBS Radio Mystery Theater after he completes its recertification this year.  That is, David, if you are not too exhausted after finishing such a massive project.  Imagine what fun it would be for other members to contribute all sorts of material to such a book!

Best regards,

[...]

bob_pedersen@...

“Radio Playhouse” was the name of the hour-long broadcast in 1974-75 that included four 15-minute (actually about 12) shows: “Faces of Love,” “Author’s Studio,” “The Little Things in Life,” and “To Have and to Hold.”

[...]

What is David’s recertification? Nosy I am.

I agree, this topic deserves more than one article. Silver Age Radio is a real thing.

Best Regards,

Michael Hingson

[...]

Walden Hughes

Hi Mike,

Larry has the four shows listed in his email.  I think Sears and Mutual radio theater were on the top level of productions since 1962.  Take care,

Walden

Larry wrote:

I do think that one article on the four series that Walden mentioned as having six-month runs in 1975 could lead to others on the same subject by other writers.  David Oxford could probably write a book on CBS Radio Mystery Theater after he completes its recertification this year.  That is, David, if you are not too exhausted after finishing such a massive project.  Imagine what fun it would be for other members to contribute all sorts of material to such a book!

Martin Grams has already written a book on the CBSRMT so I don't know that there'd be a market for a second one, but an article on the ups and downs of certfying a series as huge as that would be interesting, no doubt. David is also working on Fibber McGee &. Molly and there may even be more episodes circulating for that series. Apparently he's a sucker for gigantic years-long projects!

Thank you very much for the clarification Bob. I forgot "Faces of Love" entirely, remembered "Author's Studio" as "Actor's Studio" and was unsure about "To Have and Hold" versus "To Have and To Hold."

If "Radio Playhouse" was the title of the series, then an article about the four programs it encompassed entitled "The 1975 Revival of Old-Time Radio" would be accurate as long as their six-month run began and ended in that year.

[...]

Thank you Walden.  As I recall, you mentioned in one of your posts that all the episodes in the six-month run of the four series were aired in 1975.  If I am not remembering that accurately, will you please post a correction?

[...]

CBS Radio Mystery Theater aired from 1974 through 1982. Not sure when it was first planned, but I would think that the air dates would put it in the right timeframe.

Best Regards,

Michael Hingson

[...]

Michael, I too am becoming more interested in series from about 1963-1979 that carry on the spirit of old-time radio, and enough members of this group are showing an interest that several articles on various facets of Silver Age Radio might be supported.

If my terminology and facts are not incorrect in this instance, I believe that David and his team of second listeners will release a definitive certification of CBS Radio Mystery Theater this year, possibly as early as April.  David or one of his team members can post the date if it will be earlier or later.

The great virtues of an Old-Time Radio Researchers Certified Set (which I think Ryan has described as a Maintained Set and may be the same thing) is that all known episodes are included, the sound quality is the best that can be obtained, and the episodes are complete with music and commercials intact.  The difficulty of finding such episodes elsewhere, even in the OTRR Library Collection and from dealers, is distressing.

I'm not sure how members can access certified or maintained sets, but that would be interesting to know.

[...]

Ryan, I agree that such an article would be very interesting.  What impressed me most in listening to 50 episodes for David last year is that many of them are so good!  I think the best ones as a group are those based on short stories or novels by great writers such as Edgar Alan Poe and Henry James.  A substantial article could be written just on those.

I do think that one article on the four series that Walden mentioned as having six-month runs in 1975 could lead to others on the same subject by other writers.  David Oxford could probably write a book on CBS Radio Mystery Theater after he completes its recertification this year.  That is, David, if you are not too exhausted after finishing such a massive project.  Imagine what fun it would be for other members to contribute all sorts of material to such a book!

Martin Grams has already written a book on the CBSRMT so I don't know that there'd be a market for a second one, but an article on the ups and downs of certfying a series as huge as that would be interesting, no doubt. David is also working on Fibber McGee &. Molly and there may even be more episodes circulating for that series. Apparently he's a sucker for gigantic years-long projects!

I agree.  I think the willingness of members such as Ryan, David Oxford and librarian Paul Kornman to recognize the series as legitimate old-time radio paves the way for other series from that post-1962 time period to be admitted.

[...]

I meant to say 1975-76. Radio Playhouse first aired August 4, 1975, so that would qualify it for the article.

I believe all of the shows are available.

Bob

[...]

A few little treats from the depths of my vaults..

rickInline image
Inline image

Inline image

Inline image
Inline image

Inline image
The Radio Theater in Geraldine, Austraulia
Inline image

Inline image

Inline image

Inline image

Labor ipse voluptas

Sent: Thursday, February 4, 2021 1:09 PM

[...]

There is an article on the radio recall web site said the series  started in August  of 1975.  Take care,

Walden

[...]

Thank you Bob.  I think a lot of the episodes are in the OTRR Library under that title, so anyone listening to the full hour would hear one of each.

[...]

Rick, I really like the link that shows a radio log with a few hours of programming from KFDM-AM "Serving Port Arthur-Beaumont and the Gulf Coast."  "Author's Playhouse" aired at 9pm Wednesdays.  It will be a good visual illustration to use in the article.

Thank you.