To All Members

Larry Maupin

This is an update.  It was my intention to publish the favorite episodes of all 16 members who submitted them in the June issue of Radio Recall.  This past weekend the current editor and I worked on that issue together and filled almost all of the space available.  I did have enough space left over to include the submissions of Robert Horton, John Enrietto, Brian West and Pete Cavallo which were the first four on my list.  They are all great, and look good in the large font size that the newsletter uses.

The other 12 will be featured prominently in the August issue unless some sort of catastrophe such as my being dismissed as editor or my untimely death or disability occurs before that issue is sent out.

If anyone would like to join the Metropolitan Washington Old-Time Radio Club, just type MWOTRC into your search box and you will be taken to the website where you can join and pay your dues online.  Membership approval is automatic as I recall. There are some nice benefits.  It only costs $20 for a full year.  For that you receive 6 issues of Radio Recall and 6 issues of Gather 'Round the Radio, one each month in alternating months.  You will also receive an invitation to attend each month's Zoom meeting, which is held on the first Friday evening of every month.  If you have a microphone and a webcam you can attend that way, or you can phone in, or if you're like me and don't have all the high tech gadgets you can just sign in on your computer and type any comments you have into the Chat box.  The meetings are a lot of fun.  Each one has a quiz on an old-time radio topic which lets you test your knowledge.  For example, do you know the color of the Lone Ranger's horse Silver?  There are also presentations on OTR subjects.  Last year Martin Grams did one on The Green Hornet that had some great visual material.  It turns out that one of the most interesting characters in that series is the Hornet's enigmatic partner, a mysterious foreigner who murdered a man in one of the early episodes.  Now that must have been great to hear!

Also, unless I misunderstood him our own Dr. Joe Webb will be making a presentation at one of the monthly meetings in the near future.  I do not know the subject matter, but if Joe reads this perhaps he will provide that information.

Thanks Larry!

I'm scheduled for the MWROTC meeting of Friday, July 9 -- and the topic will be related to Suspense
and some of the latest research and recording findings about the series, episodes, and production intrigue!

--

Harold Cheetham

just paid my dues and joined.

Harold Cheetham

On Wednesday, April 14, 2021, 09:49:28 AM EDT, Larry Maupin <lmaupin@...> wrote:

[...]

Hi Harold.  I hope you will enjoy being a member as much as I do. Dr. Joe Webb posted a message here earlier today stating that he will be giving a presentation on Suspense at the MWOTRC monthly meeting on July 9th.  That is something to look forward to!

Best regards,

[...]

Thanks. Have one quick question. are past issues of Radio Recall available online o just by ording the paper kind for $2.
thanks

Harold Cheetham

On Thursday, April 15, 2021, 03:00:11 PM EDT, Larry Maupin <lmaupin@...> wrote:

[...]

Thank you Harold.  You should be able to read some past issues by going to the website (MWOTRC.com) and clicking on RADIO RECALL at the top of the screen that appears, then on one of the issues that show up when you do that.  Your question about paper copies is interesting.  The group has about 118 members now that you have joined.  I was surprised to learn that a large number of members choose to pay the $2 you mention in order to get paper copies of the newsletter instead of just automatically receiving each issue electronically.  I don't know whether paper copies of past issues are available to purchase, but I doubt it because the cost of mailing them out and the difficulty of finding a volunteer to do that might be prohibitive.  If I learn anything to the contrary I'll let you know.  Also, if you attend the May meeting online you can ask the question there and one or more of the people who have been members for 20 years will be sure to know the correct answer.

Plus you can take the monthly quiz.  Nobody replied when I asked yesterday if anyone knows the color of The Lone Ranger's horse Silver.  That was actually a quiz question, so I'll give another question today that was on a quiz.  Does anyone know without looking it up how Ted White died on The Guiding Light?