Topics

Update To Yesterday's Post

Larry Maupin

No one has replied to the message I posted yesterday on the subject of a curated collection.  I can only conclude that there is absolutely no interest by a single member of this group in the subject.

This will not deter me from continuing with the project, but I will post the summaries to the Purchasing Group instead.  My reasoning is that members of that group will at least have paid for the privilege of deleting my messages without reading them.  That could actually be added to the list of perks a person gets for joining the group.

Warmest wishes to all,

I obviously missed something...

A curated collection of what?

--

Wild West Designs

While I can't speak for everyone, I can say, while I am interested and I would have had some suggestions, some of your criteria made those suggestions moot.

So, I declined to comment.  Not because I wasn't interested, but my suggestions would have failed on some of the criteria.

And that's fine, it's your project, your criteria, just adding in some info that may not have been considered.

Evan

On 9/27/20 12:33 PM, Larry Maupin wrote:
No one has replied to the message I posted yesterday on the subject of a curated collection.  I can only conclude that there is absolutely no interest by a single member of this group in the subject.

This will not deter me from continuing with the project, but I will post the summaries to the Purchasing Group instead.  My reasoning is that members of that group will at least have paid for the privilege of deleting my messages without reading them.  That could actually be added to the list of perks a person gets for joining the group.

Warmest wishes to all,

Perhaps you did not receive the message, although I got one, it is presently posted on the Main Group message board, and every group member should have received one.

The working title of the collection is "Historical Crime Cases as Dramatized on Radio Programs."  I think you are one of the most likely people to suggest episodes that can be included if you read the message and see the criteria I have established for inclusion.

From: Larry Maupin <lmaupin@...>
Date: 28/9/20 3:33 am (GMT+10:00)
To: "'Main@OldTimeRadioResearchers.groups.io'" <Main@OldTimeRadioResearchers.groups.io>

No one has replied to the message I posted yesterday on the subject of a curated collection.  I can only conclude that there is absolutely no interest by a single member of this group in the subject.

This will not deter me from continuing with the project, but I will post the summaries to the Purchasing Group instead.  My reasoning is that members of that group will at least have paid for the privilege of deleting my messages without reading them.  That could actually be added to the list of perks a person gets for joining the group.

Warmest wishes to all,

Paul Kornman

Larry - I am looking forward to the first curated collection. I don't always respond quickly to this message board, but that does not mean I'm not interested. Many members read these messages, and some feel that if they do not have anything to add to a topic, they'll just not respond.

Keep up your fine work and thanks for sharing all that you do.

Paul Kornman

K & J Hammel

Not so Larry.  I'm not too likely to make up a curated collection but was very impressed with how much thought and effort you put into doing yours. Your guidelines will be very helpful to anyone leaning in that direction.  As usual, you did good.

Kathy

On Sunday, September 27, 2020, 10:33:36 AM PDT, Larry Maupin <lmaupin@...> wrote:

No one has replied to the message I posted yesterday on the subject of a curated collection.  I can only conclude that there is absolutely no interest by a single member of this group in the subject.

This will not deter me from continuing with the project, but I will post the summaries to the Purchasing Group instead.  My reasoning is that members of that group will at least have paid for the privilege of deleting my messages without reading them.  That could actually be added to the list of perks a person gets for joining the group.

Warmest wishes to all,

Just a note, some members have their settings such that they receive no email. They only see messages when they come visit the group. Others receive them in a digest form every day or week. Many do not receive each message as they are sent.

From: Larry Maupin <lmaupin@...>
Date: 28/9/20 3:33 am (GMT+10:00)
To: "'Main@OldTimeRadioResearchers.groups.io'" <Main@OldTimeRadioResearchers.groups.io>

No one has replied to the message I posted yesterday on the subject of a curated collection.  I can only conclude that there is absolutely no interest by a single member of this group in the subject.

This will not deter me from continuing with the project, but I will post the summaries to the Purchasing Group instead.  My reasoning is that members of that group will at least have paid for the privilege of deleting my messages without reading them.  That could actually be added to the list of perks a person gets for joining the group.

Warmest wishes to all,

Thank you for your reply Paul.  Working on this project is very satisfying, and I am learning a lot along the way.  As I get closer to its conclusion I will probably be in more frequent contact with you personally so that we can coordinate the transfer of material from me to you.

It is so great that you had this idea and that you seem as enthusiastic as I am about producing the first curated collection.

I think the number of other potential groupings of episodes that could lead to attractive sets is limited only by the imagination.  A few that come to mind are (1) most memorable episodes of individual OTR series (for example "The Most Famous Man in the World" from The Mysterious Traveler or "The Martian Chronicles" from Dimension X); (2) episodes that are all from a certain year (1939 is my favorite year of OTR); or (3) episodes dealing only with suicide, insanity, ghosts, foreign settings, soap operas, historical fiction, famous novels, war. or those based on short stories by Henry James or Poe or Thomas Hardy.

I do really like the idea of digitizing cassettes for a collection and recommend it to any other member who wants to curate one.  The unit I bought cost less than $100, is very easy to use, and reproduces the source tape with excellent fidelity as it digitizes.  Doing it this way is so much fun I can hardly believe it, and it is always very satisfying to remove the flash drive from the unit, plug it into my computer and hear how good the digitized episode sounds.  The only drawback is that there is only one good source of cassettes for purchase that I am aware of.  I will be happy to share it with any member who sends me a personal email and asks for it.  If anyone in the group knows of two or more sources of cassettes (dealers can definitely be included) please let me know.

Larry - I am looking forward to the first curated collection. I don't always respond quickly to this message board, but that does not mean I'm not interested. Many members read these messages, and some feel that if they do not have anything to add to a topic, they'll just not respond.

Keep up your fine work and thanks for sharing all that you do.

Paul Kornman

Thank you Kathy for such a friendly and encouraging message.  I hope you like reading episode summaries and will share your thoughts on them when you wish to.

[...]

Ryan, I had forgotten about that and the point is well taken.

Thank you.