Topics

Update To Yesterday's Post

Larry Maupin

No one has replied to the message I posted yesterday on the subject of a curated collection.  I can only conclude that there is absolutely no interest by a single member of this group in the subject.

This will not deter me from continuing with the project, but I will post the summaries to the Purchasing Group instead.  My reasoning is that members of that group will at least have paid for the privilege of deleting my messages without reading them.  That could actually be added to the list of perks a person gets for joining the group.

Warmest wishes to all,

Larry 

--
Larry Maupin

Joe Webb

I obviously missed something...

A curated collection of what?

--

Wild West Designs

While I can't speak for everyone, I can say, while I am interested and I would have had some suggestions, some of your criteria made those suggestions moot. 

So, I declined to comment.  Not because I wasn't interested, but my suggestions would have failed on some of the criteria.

And that's fine, it's your project, your criteria, just adding in some info that may not have been considered.

Evan

On 9/27/20 12:33 PM, Larry Maupin wrote:
No one has replied to the message I posted yesterday on the subject of a curated collection.  I can only conclude that there is absolutely no interest by a single member of this group in the subject.

This will not deter me from continuing with the project, but I will post the summaries to the Purchasing Group instead.  My reasoning is that members of that group will at least have paid for the privilege of deleting my messages without reading them.  That could actually be added to the list of perks a person gets for joining the group.

Warmest wishes to all,

Larry 

--
Larry Maupin

Larry Maupin

Perhaps you did not receive the message, although I got one, it is presently posted on the Main Group message board, and every group member should have received one.

The working title of the collection is "Historical Crime Cases as Dramatized on Radio Programs."  I think you are one of the most likely people to suggest episodes that can be included if you read the message and see the criteria I have established for inclusion.

-----------------------------------------

To: main@OldTimeRadioResearchers.groups.io
Cc:
Sent: Sunday September 27 2020 1:47:02PM
Subject: Re: [OldTimeRadioResearchers] Update To Yesterday's Post

--

--
Larry Maupin

Larry Maupin

Thank you Evan, and I think you raise a very good point.  I would not include the Dragnet episode of ".22 Rifle for Christmas," for example,  even though it is famous because it does not deal with a crime of any note.  Also I have learned just since yesterday that The Lineup was based on fictional cases.  That is a something that a collaborative effort of active group members would have caught and corrected if I had not.

Larry

Cc:
Sent: Sunday September 27 2020 1:47:23PM

While I can't speak for everyone, I can say, while I am interested and I would have had some suggestions, some of your criteria made those suggestions moot. 

So, I declined to comment.  Not because I wasn't interested, but my suggestions would have failed on some of the criteria.

And that's fine, it's your project, your criteria, just adding in some info that may not have been considered.

Evan

Warmest wishes to all,

Larry 

--
Larry Maupin

--
Larry Maupin

Wild West Designs

Quote: That is a something that a collaborative effort of active group members would have caught and corrected if I had not.

Maybe, maybe not.  If one person thought one thing, it is quite possible that others would have as well.  Those that may have known better may not have seen the email, had the email go to spam (which I have had some from yahoo go to my inbox and some go to spam, don't know what triggered some and not others).  Or maybe they don't check email as much as some others do.  Those that are actively in the know typically are also actively doing other things, like archiving shows, go out and searching for source material etc.

I can certainly understand the frustration as I have been involved in with my own projects for this hobby, but there are quite a few reasons why something may not have happened versus just thinking that they don't care about it.  While may be a valid reason, may not necessarily be the case of everyone.

On 9/27/20 1:03 PM, Larry Maupin wrote:

Thank you Evan, and I think you raise a very good point.  I would not include the Dragnet episode of ".22 Rifle for Christmas," for example,  even though it is famous because it does not deal with a crime of any note.  Also I have learned just since yesterday that The Lineup was based on fictional cases.  That is a something that a collaborative effort of active group members would have caught and corrected if I had not.

Larry

Cc:

Evan

Warmest wishes to all,

Larry 

--
Larry Maupin

--
Larry Maupin

Larry Maupin

Evan, perhaps my feelings on the matter are influenced by the fact that I do not like to have any member's request for feedback go unanswered.  New members especially are making a leap of faith when they post in hoping that they will be welcomed into the group by friendly replies.  Established members who need help on a project or are seeking answers on a subject obviously hope for replies or they would not post in the first place.

Despite your comments, which I take to be very kind and earnest, I still think that there is practically no interest among members of this group in the project I have undertaken.

I also renew my pledge never to let a message from a new member go unanswered.

Larry
Cc:
Sent: Sunday September 27 2020 2:36:59PM

Quote: That is a something that a collaborative effort of active group members would have caught and corrected if I had not.

Maybe, maybe not.  If one person thought one thing, it is quite possible that others would have as well.  Those that may have known better may not have seen the email, had the email go to spam (which I have had some from yahoo go to my inbox and some go to spam, don't know what triggered some and not others).  Or maybe they don't check email as much as some others do.  Those that are actively in the know typically are also actively doing other things, like archiving shows, go out and searching for source material etc.

I can certainly understand the frustration as I have been involved in with my own projects for this hobby, but there are quite a few reasons why something may not have happened versus just thinking that they don't care about it.  While may be a valid reason, may not necessarily be the case of everyone.

On 9/27/20 1:03 PM, Larry Maupin wrote:

Larry

Cc:

Evan

Warmest wishes to all,

Larry 

--
Larry Maupin

--
Larry Maupin

--
Larry Maupin

Ian Grieve

Larry, it is your project.  You don't need other members permission or approval to continue.

I read the post, noted to myself that I didn't have any episode on the Lindberg Kidnapping to contribute.

Whilst I am not interested in curated packaged, it doesn't mean it wouldn't suit other members, we all listen differently.

Don't worry about other member catching up to you, if you want to curate,  then curate.

Ian

Sent from my SAMSUNG Galaxy S7 on the Telstra Mobile Network

-------- Original message --------
Date: 28/9/20 3:33 am (GMT+10:00)
To: "'Main@OldTimeRadioResearchers.groups.io'" <Main@OldTimeRadioResearchers.groups.io>
Subject: [OldTimeRadioResearchers] Update To Yesterday's Post

Warmest wishes to all,

Larry 

--
Larry Maupin

Paul Kornman

Larry - I am looking forward to the first curated collection. I don't always respond quickly to this message board, but that does not mean I'm not interested. Many members read these messages, and some feel that if they do not have anything to add to a topic, they'll just not respond.

Keep up your fine work and thanks for sharing all that you do.

Paul Kornman

K & J Hammel

Not so Larry.  I'm not too likely to make up a curated collection but was very impressed with how much thought and effort you put into doing yours. Your guidelines will be very helpful to anyone leaning in that direction.  As usual, you did good.

Kathy

On Sunday, September 27, 2020, 10:33:36 AM PDT, Larry Maupin <lmaupin@...> wrote:

Warmest wishes to all,

Larry 

--
Larry Maupin

Ryan Ellett

Just a note, some members have their settings such that they receive no email. They only see messages when they come visit the group. Others receive them in a digest form every day or week. Many do not receive each message as they are sent.
Ryan

www.RyanEllett.com

The Old Time Radio Researchers
"Saving the Past for the Future"

www.OTRR.org
www.OTRRLibrary.org

On Sunday, September 27, 2020, 12:54:50 PM CDT, Larry Maupin <lmaupin@...> wrote:

Perhaps you did not receive the message, although I got one, it is presently posted on the Main Group message board, and every group member should have received one.

The working title of the collection is "Historical Crime Cases as Dramatized on Radio Programs."  I think you are one of the most likely people to suggest episodes that can be included if you read the message and see the criteria I have established for inclusion.

Cc:

--

--
Larry Maupin

Larry Maupin

Thank you for the encouragement Ian.  I have asked for suggestions from other members because other than a few more episodes of Crime Classics, one of Calling All Cars and an as yet undetermined number of The Black Museum I am running out of material.

That is why I would like to hear from others who know of even one episode of The FBI in Peace and War or This Is Your FBI that deals with a famous person (Alger Hiss, John Dillinger, the Rosenburgs, Bonnie and Clyde, Al Capone, etc.).  The former series has that beautiful opening theme music from Prokofiev's Love for Three Oranges that would make it attractive to have in the collection if one or two episodes with appropriate subject matter can be located.

Larry

Cc:
Sent: Sunday September 27 2020 5:10:37PM

Larry, it is your project.  You don't need other members permission or approval to continue.

I read the post, noted to myself that I didn't have any episode on the Lindberg Kidnapping to contribute.

Whilst I am not interested in curated packaged, it doesn't mean it wouldn't suit other members, we all listen differently.

Don't worry about other member catching up to you, if you want to curate,  then curate.

Ian

Sent from my SAMSUNG Galaxy S7 on the Telstra Mobile Network

-------- Original message --------
Date: 28/9/20 3:33 am (GMT+10:00)
To: "'Main@OldTimeRadioResearchers.groups.io'" <Main@OldTimeRadioResearchers.groups.io>
Subject: [OldTimeRadioResearchers] Update To Yesterday's Post

Warmest wishes to all,

Larry 

--
Larry Maupin
--
Larry Maupin

Larry Maupin

Thank you for your reply Paul.  Working on this project is very satisfying, and I am learning a lot along the way.  As I get closer to its conclusion I will probably be in more frequent contact with you personally so that we can coordinate the transfer of material from me to you.

It is so great that you had this idea and that you seem as enthusiastic as I am about producing the first curated collection.

I think the number of other potential groupings of episodes that could lead to attractive sets is limited only by the imagination.  A few that come to mind are (1) most memorable episodes of individual OTR series (for example "The Most Famous Man in the World" from The Mysterious Traveler or "The Martian Chronicles" from Dimension X); (2) episodes that are all from a certain year (1939 is my favorite year of OTR); or (3) episodes dealing only with suicide, insanity, ghosts, foreign settings, soap operas, historical fiction, famous novels, war. or those based on short stories by Henry James or Poe or Thomas Hardy.

I do really like the idea of digitizing cassettes for a collection and recommend it to any other member who wants to curate one.  The unit I bought cost less than $100, is very easy to use, and reproduces the source tape with excellent fidelity as it digitizes.  Doing it this way is so much fun I can hardly believe it, and it is always very satisfying to remove the flash drive from the unit, plug it into my computer and hear how good the digitized episode sounds.  The only drawback is that there is only one good source of cassettes for purchase that I am aware of.  I will be happy to share it with any member who sends me a personal email and asks for it.  If anyone in the group knows of two or more sources of cassettes (dealers can definitely be included) please let me know.

Larry

Cc:
Sent: Sunday September 27 2020 5:22:36PM

Larry - I am looking forward to the first curated collection. I don't always respond quickly to this message board, but that does not mean I'm not interested. Many members read these messages, and some feel that if they do not have anything to add to a topic, they'll just not respond.

Keep up your fine work and thanks for sharing all that you do.

Paul Kornman

--
Larry Maupin

Larry Maupin

Thank you Kathy for such a friendly and encouraging message.  I hope you like reading episode summaries and will share your thoughts on them when you wish to.

Larry

To: "main@OldTimeRadioResearchers.groups.io"
Cc:
Sent: Sunday September 27 2020 5:40:59PM

Not so Larry.  I'm not too likely to make up a curated collection but was very impressed with how much thought and effort you put into doing yours. Your guidelines will be very helpful to anyone leaning in that direction.  As usual, you did good.

Kathy

On Sunday, September 27, 2020, 10:33:36 AM PDT, Larry Maupin <lmaupin@...> wrote:

Warmest wishes to all,

Larry 

--
Larry Maupin

--
Larry Maupin

Larry Maupin

Ryan, I had forgotten about that and the point is well taken.  

Thank you.

Larry

To: "main@OldTimeRadioResearchers.groups.io"
Cc:
Sent: Sunday September 27 2020 6:47:20PM

Just a note, some members have their settings such that they receive no email. They only see messages when they come visit the group. Others receive them in a digest form every day or week. Many do not receive each message as they are sent.
Ryan

www.RyanEllett.com

The Old Time Radio Researchers
"Saving the Past for the Future"

www.OTRR.org
www.OTRRLibrary.org

On Sunday, September 27, 2020, 12:54:50 PM CDT, Larry Maupin <lmaupin@...> wrote:

Cc:

--

--
Larry Maupin

--
Larry Maupin