Visual Illustrations

Larry Maupin

I am just finishing up an article on a story line in Young Widder Brown that begins in October, 1950 and runs until April, 1951.  If it is accepted it will be published on a website, and I will post a message here as soon as it appears there so the soap opera fans in this group can read it.  The owner asked me to write it, so he will print it on his site if he ever wants another one from me.

If anyone has visual material such as cast photographs, radio logs, advertisements or other visual illustrations that you think will enhance the appearance of the article, please post a link here or send them to me in an email.  I will then mention you in the article as a source when I submit them along with the text.

Thank you.

Larry,
I don't have much but here is what I do have.

On Monday, February 1, 2021, 3:39:21 PM CST, Larry Maupin <lmaupin@...> wrote:

I am just finishing up an article on a story line in Young Widder Brown that begins in October, 1950 and runs until April, 1951.  If it is accepted it will be published on a website, and I will post a message here as soon as it appears there so the soap opera fans in this group can read it.  The owner asked me to write it, so he will print it on his site if he ever wants another one from me.

If anyone has visual material such as cast photographs, radio logs, advertisements or other visual illustrations that you think will enhance the appearance of the article, please post a link here or send them to me in an email.  I will then mention you in the article as a source when I submit them along with the text.

Thank you.

Rick, these are perfect!  The visual clarity is so good, and you have everything from cast photographs to radio logs to a premium brooch.  The photograph of the tea room will be a great illustration for the article, and it looks as if you have found an article about the heroines in OTR soap operas.  Just one glance at the gallery of their photographs disproves the claim the radio actresses were seldom beautiful!

Thank you very much.  I will lobby for the editor to include as many of these as he can as illustrations, and you will be credited as having supplied them all.

[...]

Ian Grieve

Be careful using the Getty Images.  Its a Hornets nest if you don't pay them.

They have bots trolling the internet looking for their images being used.  Rightly or wrongly, they control a lot of images and protect them.  It doesn't take much for them to send the lawyers in.

I have friends who build websites and received the images from 3rd parties, but Getty still came after them.  They know they can bluff you into paying as it is more expensive to defend yourself than pay their exorbitant fees.

Ian

Sent from my SAMSUNG Galaxy S7 on the Telstra Mobile Network

[...]

wwtom@...

Larry,

I'm still looking for a copy of the very last broadcast of Young Widder Brown.  Do you or someone else have a copy of this episode?  Thanks.

Wesley Tom
Redlands, CA

[...]

Ian, that does sound serious.  Is there a way of identifying Getty images so as to avoid using them?  Perhaps you or another group member will know the answer to that.

[...]

The last broadcast occurred on June 22, 1956 according to Jim Cox in The Great Radio Soap Operas (p.287).  There are probably other group member who have it, and I hope one will send it to you.

[...]

Im pretty sure there are ways to remove the greedy peoples watermarks.

On Monday, February 1, 2021, 9:57:48 PM CST, Larry Maupin <lmaupin@...> wrote:

[...]

Yes, they have their watermarks as Richard says, but they also have all their images registered and bots searching for examples of them being published online.

I am just giving you a 'heads up'.  Life with Getty Images can be messy if you don't buy their images from them.  Its why I am careful to know where images come from that I use and give credit to the originator.  Some of those that Richard supplied have Getty Images on the images themselves and no doubt that can be removed.  But it doesn't stop there.

I don't want to be the copyright police all the time, particularly when I don't believe in the never ending aspect.  You folk just need to know and make your own decisions.

Ian

[...]

That is probably right, but I don't ever want to get an editor in trouble.  If there is a way to identify Getty images I just won't send them to any editor, and there must be a way.  I don't think most of the ones you sent are, but will look carefully at all of them to see if the word "Getty" appears anywhere on any of them.

Thanks again.

[...]

Thank you Ian.  That is a good point about giving credit to the originator.  I have a forthcoming article which mentions about half a dozen researchers in this group by name for the valuable contributions they made during the course of its composition.

As for the matter of copyrights, watermarks and trademarks I intend to err on the side of caution.  I don't know enough about them to be fit to express an opinion.

[...]

Don't mess with Getty Images

Go to their website and do a search for the images using the series name, then do another one with the actor's name, etc.

DO NOT post the images online -- give people the link to view the images on the Getty site but do not include the images in your site in any way unless you have paid the license fee.

I used to study the stock photography business when I was a consultant in the printing industry -- it's an amazing business -- but it has its dark side of staff lawyers on retainer who are relentless. When you publish something, you need to be certain that what you use is clear to do so. Getty only accepts apologies when a check of the amount they determined is enclosed.

That does not mean that you can't work with them beforehand. If you're doing something self-published and the images are critical, go around the online licensing and contact them to explain your project, and the number of copies you will print, and the purpose. They may make a package deal.

\

Does the word "Getty" appear on the image so that people will know not to use it, or is there just an icon or trademark?

[...]

I don't know that "Getty" necessarily appears in all their images. Usually I try to avoid this by getting pictures from contemporary publications or from something like Wiki that has a clear Commons permission. The Lantern media history site is good as is American Radio History. They're not always the crispest since they're from scanned magazines and not press shots.

On Tuesday, February 2, 2021, 07:47:59 AM CST, Larry Maupin <lmaupin@...> wrote:

Does the word "Getty" appear on the image so that people will know not to use it, or is there just an icon or trademark?

Larry Maupin

Thank you Ryan.  I am going to post links to the visual material I plan to use in the article on Young Widder Brown here as soon as I can.  Two are from Rick Davenport and two from Barbara Watkins.  If any member finds any of the 4 objectionable on the grounds of possible violation of a copywrite  I would appreciate having that information before submitting the article.

I don't know that "Getty" necessarily appears in all their images. Usually I try to avoid this by getting pictures from contemporary publications or from something like Wiki that has a clear Commons permission. The Lantern media history site is good as is American Radio History. They're not always the crispest since they're from scanned magazines and not press shots.

On Tuesday, February 2, 2021, 07:47:59 AM CST, Larry Maupin <lmaupin@...> wrote:

Does the word "Getty" appear on the image so that people will know not to use it, or is there just an icon or trademark?

The word "Getty" appears for two major reasons
1) when a graphic designer is working on a project for a client, they can download images to show their client in their project drafts. Getty and other stock photo agencies have always allowed use of low resolution images for this purpose. once the project is approved and the client has decided that the particular image will be used, the designer arranges for the proper licensing of the image
2) the word is there to discourage unlicensed use and to advise viewers where they can license the image

even the images from magazines and newspapers are subject to being licensed -- those publications used those images for that specific use and the license cannot be transferred to someone else. so taking the image from an old magazine does not make it technically okay to use

so if you find that image from an old magazine is in the getty archive, do not use it in anything that will be published. save yourself a lot of headache. if it's really important, arrange a license. licenses are cheaper than hiring a lawyer.

--

Ian Grieve

Apart from the obvious ones with Getty Images on them, we have no way of knowing.  They like it that way.  They simply point out that the onus is on you to get your images from legitimate sources.  Any image you grab from the internet belongs to somebody, as in the case of OTR, not necessarily the uploader.  Its an area more messy than OTR because with OTR most of the ownership is traceable.

Ian

[...]

A great explanation Joe.  I have never had anything to do with them.  I have had friends who received the legal demands via email.  So I have always been careful.  I buy a lot of original OTR Photos to avoid this problem.

Ian

[...]

I did see the word "Getty" clearly on a photograph of what appears to be the Tea Room owned by Ellen in Young Widder Brown.  It shows four women sitting around a table, and is a beautiful illustration.  But it cannot be used.

One question remains.  If an illustration or image appears in something not for sale or available to the general public but only to be shared among members of a group (such as a group's newsletter), do we need to worry about including material from a 70-year-old episode of something like "Radio TV Mirror"?

I know these discussions of copyright issues can become contentious, and do not wish to disturb the serenity and urbanity of our communications with each other.  But if we have to resort to submitting our own artwork as the only material for illustrations that will be too bad.

[...]

Thank you Ian.  That helps clarify the matter.