Topics

Volunteer opportunities

Ryan Ellett

Sometimes I'm asked about how an individual can volunteer to help the Old Time Radio Researchers; we are only as strong as our volunteer base, after all. After talking with Joe Webb and Paul Kornman via Zoom (which is fun, OTRR could certainly do more of these online meet-ups), I went back to some old posts by Jim B. and copied down volunteer ideas he had offered at our old site. I've also added some additional items. Opportunities I thought were good for newcomers have an (N) after them. Hopefully you can find something of interest.

Ways Members Can Contribute include:

* create artwork (for CD cases) and and OTR-related pictures (ads, movie posters, premiums, etc.) to our website (N)

* create titles for untitled shows in our library (N)

* work on a bibliography of books for old-time radio fans (N)

* provide opening lines of episode dialogue (our Wiki First Line project; we used to have several members very into this task but many have drifted from the hobby, passed away, or lost interest in this work) (N)

* locate digital scripts that can be added to our library

* find programs not currently in our online audio library

* confirm or correct broadcast dates and times

* add scans of network promotional materials to our library

* search for previously missing episodes

* encoding new material to digital formats from cassettes, reel-to-reels, and transcription records

* compile series broadcast logs (preferably using original scripts, newspaper schedules, etc.)

* listen to episodes in our library to make sure they are correctly labeled and dated

* provide copies of audio material they might have

* correct spelling mistakes in episode titles

Wild West Designs

I'm up for the artwork portion if needed.

Evan West

[...]

Cool, Evan! Not sure if you've ever created any for the OTRR library. You can see what others have done at the Old ime Radio CD Artwork link (http://otrr.org/4img/index.php). I think used to be more popular when people burned shows to CDs because then you could put this artwork in the plastic cases that held the CDs. I still really like to put CD label artwork in the file tags of shows in our library (we do it for our Maintained sets) because then when it plays on the device you get an interesting picture, and not just the generic OTRR logo (if anything). Go nuts, there's no formal process for doing it. I think you may need to create an account at the 4 Images Gallery where this artwork is stored. Then it's available to the public.
Ryan

.

On Saturday, August 1, 2020, 4:56:55 PM CDT, Wild West Designs <evan@...> wrote:

[...]

Brian Kavanaugh

I also use the CD front cover image as the image for the YouTube videos for maintained sets.

On Mon, Aug 3, 2020 at 3:46 PM Ryan Ellett via groups.io <oldradiotimes=yahoo.com@groups.io> wrote:
[...]

Dave Tysver

And the artwork is also used as the image viewed when the set is uploaded to Archive.org.